• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    So I believe it's doable but perhaps a niche market? ?

You nailed it. The bullpup market seems to be exclusively the domain of people interested in the NATO calibers and their descendants.

It's not that AK enthusiasts aren't into bullpups, too, it's just that the AK/slavic caliber fanbase seems to be a little more historically-oriented (similar to the Euro battle rifle enthusiasts) and when a lot of us, myself included think of bullpups in slavic calibers, we think of Korobovs and OTS-14 Grozas and other unobtanium backwards guns from behind the iron curtain.

The bullpup market is niche enough as it is, and it seems that the exclusively western manufacturers of US-available bullpups focus on the western/NATO calibers to snag all those folks who lust after FAMASs, L85A1s, and VHSs of the world and don't want to pay mondo money for an AUG or an FS2000. Building x39 or 5.45-chambered bullpups is essentially chasing a niche of an already small niche.

It'd be like building an all-new steel-framed single-stack pocket CC pistol in .357 Sig. The 5 people who actually bought one would think it was god's gift to the shooting community, while the rest of us wouldn't even know it existed.

You wouldn't be able to buy one in MD, except as an SBR. Galil AR/ARM are on the banned list by name, and the SA guns are 100% parts interchangeable. Further, the Galil is way out of production, and is kind of an obsolete rifle, too... a new run by IWI is unlikely to happen. (I'd wishlist an Uzi Pro with the original "unmodified Uzi mags" grip first.)

Hey, why do you have to come at my poor fantasy gun with with all of your "laws" and "healthy doses of reality" like that...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hey, why do you have to come at my poor fantasy gun with with all of your "laws" and "healthy doses of reality" like that...
    Probably because I own a semi-auto Galil SAR SBR and am well-acquainted with its limitations. I'm not going to lie, it is a SUPER sexy rifle, but a $500 AR-15 is better in nearly every way.

I am not sure I agree with your premise that the bullpup market is only interested in western calibers because the AK lovers are such purists. The reality is that eastern bloc bullpups were never a real military service weapon, except for the QBZ-95 (which isn't available here). The AUG, FAMAS, and Tavor/X95 had a reasonable amount of military takeup. (The F2000, somewhat less so.) Thus, it's not so unexpected that shooting enthusiasts would gravitate towards guns with a well-regarded military heritage. By the same dint, I suspect a semi-auto L85A2 would be regarded with a great deal of suspicion by most people, western or not.

This thread is making me want to go out and buy some more bullpups, and Galil ACEs. :P (I admit that I wish I had bought a Type 86s back when they were just a thousand bucks or so (ie, before the MD AWB), even with the meh rock-and-lock mags.)

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    a semi-auto L85A2

Don't get me excited like that...

And yeah, I know the Galil is a heavy, dated, inaccurate rifle compared to plenty of other weapons that came before or after it. I have a thing for late cold war-era platforms, and coming from the AK world, few guns hold more mystique to me than the Western AK adaptations. Vektors and Valmets and Galils, oh my! (And the Sig 55x's too!)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Why all the no love for the pre galils? ? I drug mine out and shot them not so long ago. I must have some pretty sad ARs because I can out shoot them with my old dusty galils and there iron sites. Had 2 MDS members there who couldn't believe how well and accurately they shot . They are welcome to add their comments if they like. Maybe it's just me . But I feel the old pre ban guns are better made than what's currently on the market. In my opinion I believe that the Galil of old compared to what's being made today ,is like saying the 1911 is outdated and not accurate compared to a glock.? Neither is bad or outdated . Now let's talk accuracy. Did they ever fix the tavor accuracy issues??? I honestly don't know but asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom