Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 8th, 2019, 11:49 AM #1

O/U Bbl Lengths

Why ?

I get it that of late the masses of buyers are buying longer and longer . But why ? Other than reaching the critical mass of cyclical fad ?

Back when I had hair , shorter was the thing , 26in was the overwhelming predominance of Skeet, and related forms of bird hunting . The laws of physics haven't changed .

In that era , observations about Trap guns from back in the early 1900's with over 30in bbls were met with head shakes, and wonderment about what were they thinking, and that they must have believed old wives tales about long bbls shoot harder . The laws of physics haven't changed during any of these eras .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 12:31 PM #2

They make different barrel lengths to satisfy the different people who shoot.

A 26 inch barrel reacts much differently in the hands when swinging to a target than does a 30 inch barrel. Weight distribution is much different with the various lengths as well. You buy what works for you at the game you play.

I shot tournament skeet for years, was on the All American team several years in a row and traveled the circuit as a AA/AAA shooter. I did much of my winning with a 29.5 inch lighter weight barrel. Things went down hill when I changed guns and went to a heavier 30 inch barrel. Biggest mistake I ever made changing guns. bob

ps When I shot birds in thick woods/brush a 26 inch barrel was often too much. My Woodcock side by side had 24 inch barrels and worked very well in the Alder brush.

Shooting trap there is very little gun movement thus 32 or 34 inch unsingles are preferred by many, or even 30+ inch barrels on a gas gun.
bob finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 12:36 PM #3
I need more stamps

I need more stamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Why ?

I get it that of late the masses of buyers are buying longer and longer . But why ? Other than reaching the critical mass of cyclical fad ?

Back when I had hair , shorter was the thing , 26in was the overwhelming predominance of Skeet, and related forms of bird hunting . The laws of physics haven't changed .

In that era , observations about Trap guns from back in the early 1900's with over 30in bbls were met with head shakes, and wonderment about what were they thinking, and that they must have believed old wives tales about long bbls shoot harder . The laws of physics haven't changed during any of these eras .
I'm no pro but I went with a 32" because I liked the way the gun balanced and the way it would swing from side to side. I don't think one length is better than the other. This is why one must hold, swing, mount a shotgun before buying. I know plenty of people who shoot lights out with a 28" because that's how they were trained. For me, it is a matter of personal preference. Having said that, I will say that for sporting clays, I prefer a 32" but for skeet, I would rather have a 30" or 28".

Proud SOTAR Alumni

Follow me on Instagram: OldDominionGuns&Gear
rouchna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 01:35 PM #4

In the mid '70s there was a mini resurgence of 20in SxS for skeet and birds , but I wasn't ( initially) going there .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:31 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouchna View Post
I'm no pro but I went with a 32" because I liked the way the gun balanced and the way it would swing from side to side. I don't think one length is better than the other. This is why one must hold, swing, mount a shotgun before buying. I know plenty of people who shoot lights out with a 28" because that's how they were trained. For me, it is a matter of personal preference. Having said that, I will say that for sporting clays, I prefer a 32" but for skeet, I would rather have a 30" or 28".

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. Iím primarily a sporting clays guy and I prefer 32ís on the gun that I chose that fit me. Iíve shot several 30Ē guns that felt fine too, so itís definitely individual preference. 32ís tend to have a better resale market for SC and trap from what Iíve seen, but most donít buy a gun based on potential resale Iíd imagine.
www.LoansbyLowry.com
410 753 2236

NRA member & MSI Executive member
El_flasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:51 PM #6

I am probably the worst shot in the bunch on the SC and Skeet range; but for me a 32" feels too front heavy and I like a 30" much better. I thought Trap is where a longer barrel shines, not SC (?) Anyways, like I said; I'm not the expert; just my preference.
SOTAR Alumnus
dreadpirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:53 PM #7
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

I shoot a 30Ē Browning Lighting for trap, 26Ē Browning Lightning for skeet.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:59 PM #8

I shoot a 30" barreled Browning Special Sporting Clays for everything. If the game uses a clay target, I'll shoot it. I've handled 32" guns, but they always seemed nose heavy to me. I can't hit a bull in the @$$ with a snow shovel with my Dad's 34" Perazzi single.

I definitely prefer the 30", but my Dad has a 28" Browning Special Sporting Clays and I shoot it pretty well.

Of course, unlike most gun traders, oops I meant Trap shooters, I've shot the same gun since '93. I shot in a winter trap league for twelve weeks and I think a couple of those guys never shot the same gun twice.

It truly is a what works for you situation.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
NSCA Level I Instructor
Mack C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 09:23 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Why ?

The physics hasnít changed but the style of shooting has. The top shots arenít shooting swing through like they did back then. Theyíre shooting sustained lead. Using a sustained lead method the speed of the swing is a lot slower. The longer barrels lend themselves to this style of shooting. Show me someone that is winning a top shoot in any discipline (including the International varieties) with a pump gun or a side by side or a 26Ē barrel. Ken Barnes shot the first 400 straight in Skeet with 4 pump guns in 1968. Would anyone recommend a shooter try to win a top shoot with 4 pump guns nowadays? Of course not. Imagine a golfer trying to win a tournament with clubs from the 60ís and 70ís. He wouldnít have a chance in hell. If youíre wanting to do get to the top of the podium in the shotgun sports you can either piggy back on what the top shots are using or you can disregard all of their vast knowledge and expertise and chart your own path to the top by shooting a 26Ē side by side. If you are just going to shoot some clays a couple times a year or month at your local club it doesnít really matter what you shoot. Just be forewarned that when it comes time to sell the gun in the configuration that no one wants itís going to be harder to find a buyer.
Aamdskeetshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 03:17 PM #10

I wonder if shooting pre-mounted has more people going to 32". When I started everyone shot sporting clays with the gun down. I never liked 32" guns because were not as lively but I don't shoot with the gun pre-mounted. A K-80 with 32" barrels is like swinging a brick to me.
rtse4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns