• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    funny you should say Bowie saw one last night that was really dark grayish almost black too big to be a cat, too black to be a fox..spooked me...

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    It's a coyote. Here are some "Good" Western Maryland coyotes.

Attachments

• coyotes @ house.jpg
      coyotes @ house.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 201

leonarddi

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 5, 2012
    When I lived in AZ, I saw plenty of coyotes out there and this looks more like a coyote than a fox

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Any rules against shooting a coyote? Seems like it could be dangerous if little kids are around

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Huh? X2 Why more dangerous than deer, turkey, groundhog, etc, etc, ?

Um, maybe because coyotes are pack-hunting predatory scavengers who prey on small animals? And have a history of stalking/attacking humans when they lose their fear of man?

Not saying you should shoot one 'just because' but if you notice you have one around there are probably at least a couple more that you don't see, and if one doesn't run away from you if you approach it (or approaches YOU), you might want to at least think about calling DNR.

May 13, 2005
    Coyotes have been known to attack people, specifically children if I'm not mistaken.

I believe they are in season all year in MD, but I would verify that.

Ahhhh... LOL! I was taking his comment to mean the shooting of the coyote is dangerous with little kids around not the coyote :)

I gets it now derrrrrrh.... :lol2: Slow brain day.

Chiaroscuro

Far from the Usual
    Jun 27, 2012
    Glen Arm
    I concur, hide all chickens and goats.

And small pets....

Um, maybe because coyotes are pack-hunting predatory scavengers who prey on small animals? And have a history of stalking/attacking humans when they lose their fear of man?

Not saying you should shoot one 'just because' but if you notice you have one around there are probably at least a couple more that you don't see, and if one doesn't run away from you if you approach it (or approaches YOU), you might want to at least think about calling DNR.

Actually, I'm not sure that is 100% true. I believe the eastern coyote doesn't necessarily run in packs, nor does it howl the same way that the westerns do, which is why so many people don't realize they are here. A coworker has seen at least one down in the Jones Falls area, and I've heard they are around here but have not seen any yet.

Coyotes will take down other animals that they perceive to be a threat to their hunting territory, i.e. they'll go after cats and dogs (or foxes, etc) if they believe they are infringing on their ability to hunt themselves. I don't know how much they are a threat to small children, I would think they'd have to be pretty small, but I also wouldn't be leaving small children unattended either (which is why I don't have them!).

And yeah, that's definitely a coyote!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom