• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    I know that 2017 bear season has come and gone, but just wondering how the harvest was for 2017.
    How many bears were harvested? Does it even make sense for a new hunter to try get on the lottery next year? If 300 people got license, and only 30 harvested, then I might just save myself all the trouble and not bother.
    Please share your success story, as well as misses. Thanks.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Thanks.
    If I read it correctly, 1,683 hunters got a permit, and 131 of them got a bear. In other words, one in 12 got a bear. So the chance to get one is quite low.

Actually that's pretty good. Until the 80's or so 1 in 10 deer hunters got a deer, now since deer populations have exploded and lengthy seasons it's far better then what it was.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Actially there were 750 permits issued, the balance of the people were sub-permitees (each permitee was allowed to enlist up to 3 sub-permitees I think). They were allowed to hunt with and/or in lieu of the permitee, but only one bear could be taken in the group. So 131 out of 750 permits is pretty good, little better than 1 in 6. In 2015 I was drawn out of only 500, and just under 100 were taken, roughly 1 in 5 success. I was on public land and passed on a chance for a big boar because of where it would’ve died and the fact that since I was by myself I’d have never retrieved it. With a little homework you have a decent chance to be successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom