• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Start looking(out) for dead spike-bucks on the sides of the roads. They are the first to start chasing. I saw a buck tonight eye-balling some does across the road. He seemed very interested.

I went out for my first hunt this past Monday. Couple young bucks pushing each other around. One walked under my stand. I don't have many does, so it's hard to keep track of what's going on out there.

Week and a half to the rutting moon with cooler weather in the forecast. Won't be long...

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Start looking(out) for dead spike-bucks on the sides of the roads. They are the first to start chasing. I saw a buck tonight eye-balling some does across the road. He seemed very interested.

I went out for my first hunt this past Monday. Couple young bucks pushing each other around. One walked under my stand. I don't have many does, so it's hard to keep track of what's going on out there.

Week and a half to the rutting moon with cooler weather in the forecast. Won't be long...

Saw a dead spike yesterday and a dead 4 point this morning. Definitely heating up. Last Saturday saw an 8 point following a doe around.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    All I saw all day was slow moving bucks looking for acorns. No chasing or even following. I have seen massive scrapes tho.

I do know that when the rut happens it sometimes is like a light switch.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    2 dead bucks on the way to work today. Don't recall seeing them there Tuesday. I took a different route Wed.

What is the typical ratio of adult bucks to adult does?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    2 dead bucks on the way to work today. Don't recall seeing them there Tuesday. I took a different route Wed.

What is the typical ratio of adult bucks to adult does?

Depends on the area. Where I hunt, 2-3 bucks to 1doe. That is way out of the norm.

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    Today at about 0930 saw a pretty decent buck chase a doe down the side of rochenbach rd. Along the construction site fence with tons of traffic and construction going on. Pretty sweet to see as his head was down low like he was ready to jump her

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    The weather cooled finally and I got to go out with my boy this evening. We bumped a 4pt and a doe on the way in but we still had 2 hrs of light left and I thought maybe something else might come through. No deer but plenty of fat, corn fed squirrels and just before dusk a nice looking fox. I kept watching him cuz the chickens were out, if he was gonna head up to the barns I was gonna put a 250 gr. bullet in him.

Next week is spose to be nice and cool, I'm hoping I get to post pics of a boy's first deer soon.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Today at about 0930 saw a pretty decent buck chase a doe down the side of rochenbach rd. Along the construction site fence with tons of traffic and construction going on. Pretty sweet to see as his head was down low like he was ready to jump her

It's getting close...not there yet.

The weather cooled finally and I got to go out with my boy this evening. We bumped a 4pt and a doe on the way in but we still had 2 hrs of light left and I thought maybe something else might come through. No deer but plenty of fat, corn fed squirrels and just before dusk a nice looking fox. I kept watching him cuz the chickens were out, if he was gonna head up to the barns I was gonna put a 250 gr. bullet in him.

Next week is spose to be nice and cool, I'm hoping I get to post pics of a boy's first deer soon.

Hanging out with mommy probably. She'll run him off when he gets to be too much of a PIA.

My vaca. starts Saturday. I had it scheduled for the following week, but I'm looking for that buck that is looking for the first does. The ones that hit a couple first does and then go back nocturnal. I'm rolling the dice...

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Had 6 does in at one time tonight but no bucks. Thought one might come in with the harem I had assembled lol. Cool weather definitely helped...we need some more of that.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Friday, 10/27, at about 0930, had a small six running three does. Younger bucks are definitely getting interested. I'll be hunting the 1st through the 4th, then back at it the 9th-12th. Good luck to everyone trying to get out there and stick one of the big boys.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would definitely say we are in pre-rut mode right now.

I wished I brought some Dramamine. This tree is rockin'!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I saw a dead deer on the side of Rt. 5 in Charles County yesterday. Someone had taken the head...so I'm assuming it was a nice buck. Or maybe DNR sometimes just quickly takes the head to discourage others from doing so? Not sure about that. Either way, drive carefully and good hunting!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Update:

I've been in a tree since Saturday(only during daylight hours). The deer are definitely in the cruising/seeking phase(my fav). They aren't chasing yet(I don't count yearlings chasing, other than it being a sign of things to come...), the bigger bucks are just starting to 'sniff' around. Getting the lay of the land, so to speak.

Saw one shooter this am, 27 yds., he just wouldn't commit and come inside the woods. Tonight, had a "management" 7 point go by, then a real nice 9 point go by. Both at 19 yds. This time of year, it only gets better. Only thing bad is the heat. It will keep daylight movement down to a minimum, unfortunately. Mornings and evenings will be the rule until the weather brakes...if it brakes. The rut is started!

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Will the rut last until firearms season opens, or will it be done before then? I will be in western maryland, greenridge. I don't know if the geography matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom