• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Thinking about connecting with one of the outfitters to hunt waterfowl.

I have a pair of Cabela's Black Premium Insulated Bib Overalls http://www.cabelas.com/product/Dickies-Mens-Premium-Insulated-Bib-Overalls/1272756.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dinsulated%2Bbib%2Boveralls%26CQ_st%3Db

Assume all the hunts are from a blind. Would my black bib overalls be okay or do I need to have one of the camo patterns?

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I used to duck and goose hunt. We always wore wetland camoflauge as most times the ducks or geese are flying over you before they come into the spread. I don't think just black would be a good idea.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Bibs and a camo coat would likely be ok. Anything black up top is a no-no. Been hunting waterfowl for 30 years and now I'm convinced face masks or face paint is a must in most situations.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Bibs and a camo coat would likely be ok. Anything black up top is a no-no. Been hunting waterfowl for 30 years and now I'm convinced face masks or face paint is a must in most situations.

I have a camo jacket and face mask and was going to wear the black bibs under the jacket

Frogg Toggs in a size or 3 larger,wear them over whatever you want.

About two years ago, I purchased Frogg Toggs for a motorcycle trip into Newfoundland. Threw them away after two days of rain, frigging jacket and pants leaked.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    camo is important but the real key is not moving, especially your head. Most people are bobbing all over when they are "looking ducks". You can see movement way easier and pick it up faster than shapes.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    RAIN GEAR, you need the best. I got a Helly Hansen rain suit and yes I paid $150 for it, but it keeps me dry in flat out medium rains and blowing weather. Unless the wind is blowing very hard or flat out pouring you should be prepared to be out there in it. I've field hunted in breathable chest waders and the Helly Hanson jacket before. I might have looked stupid, but wasn't anyone in eye shot except my wet buddies. ;)

I don;t even trust goretex is a sustained medium rain any more. My Goretex gloves get wet and the Cabelas jacket will too.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Personally, I don’t need the best to walk to the grocery store. I might if I was on a motorcycle. I found a a Frogg Toggs jacket at Cabela’s that was $39.95 on sale for $15.95. After I added ammo it was more than what I was bitching about earlier :D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    First thing geese will see when they pitch in is if somebody in the blind/pit is wearing eyeglasses. If that's the case wear something diminuative or make sure the face is well hidden or darkened.
    Don't shoot until you can clearly see the panels on they're face when the wings are set unless your pass shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom