• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I think that is what the article is saying. The headline, though, seems to say there have been 700+ "total" since 2005. And those are only the ones that get reported. I remember reading the WashPost weekly DC crime reports a few times and being astounded at the number of DC home invasions per week.

(eta: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loc...e_2005__there_have_been_700__in_the_city.html)

Home invasions: Since 2005, there have been 700+ in the city

By JAN RANSOM
    Philadelphia Daily News

ransomj@phillynews.com 215-854-5218

HOME-INVASION robberies, besides leading to lost possessions or physical injury, also take a psychological toll on victims and neighborhoods, experts say.

And the residential robberies happen more often than you might think. There have been more than 700 in the city every year since 2005, and less than half have resulted in arrests. (...)

Through Sept. 10, there had been an estimated 509 residential robberies in the city this year. By the end of August, police had made arrests in only 46 percent of them. (...)

According to police, intruders usually know their victims, whether from the neighborhood or through mutual acquaintances. The invasions stem from the notion that victims may have money either from a business, drugs or a perception that they are well-off based on their residence, block or possessions.

Home invaders learn their victims' habits, and the attacks are calculated, said Northeast Detectives Capt. John McGinnis, who described residential robberies as a horrible crime that doesn't always get reported.

"It's such a personal crime," said Lt. Joseph Walsh of Southwest Detectives. "It's a very intimate attack. It's almost like being raped."

Last edited:

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    I think that is what the article is saying. The headline, though, seems to say there have been 700+ "total" since 2005.

I'm no Grammar genius, but yes, the title is either intentionally misleading, or the writer needs to go back to school. The article definitely states 700 per year, and I'd say that is backed up by the 509 so far this year.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Headline writers are rarely the original authors, and mistakes like this get made all the time. It's usually a page editor who does the lines and a copy editor that handles the story. Of course, that was back a while ago when I was at a paper for a short time. These days, with budget cuts, they could all be the same guy.

Either way, that's a lot of invasions. I'd like to see the breakdown in neighborhood and ethnicity. Back in LA it was frequently the case that the more insular neighborhoods got hit quite often while the more diverse ones were spared. So a lot of Korean on Korean invasions, for instance, though I do not pick out the K-Town crowd specifically. Armenians, Hispanic...you name the group and the rule applied. They tended to not report the crimes, either. They were often found out other ways (injuries or retribution attacks that got noticed by the police). The LA Times had some decent coverage for a while. And Phoenix has a similar problem.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Ah yes the joys of living in a Democrat run city. The BEST part is after a house is invaded, the democrat neighbors will not get angry with crime and criminals. They will always blame the victim for not having the right alarm system or surveillance or a protection ninja. It is also the fault of ‘the system’ for making the criminal commit such an act.:rolleyes:

No offense to Dems on this board, because I suspect they are not as tolerant of criminals as da Dems in da hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom