• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

The more I read-up on Lion Steel, the more interested I get. I like both the SR-1A1 and the Kur.

emI4HZR.jpg

Also considering another Italian knife, the Fox 'Tur' for something small. Elmax steel is supposed to be very low maintenance, like M390, and the design is very robust/cool-looking in carbon fiber. Found some on-sale with the PVD coated blade but, may holdout for one in satin finish.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Good channel if you haven't come across it before.

I'll add that to my growing list of subscribed blade channels on YouTube. Thanks.

Have you seen the Maserin 680/G10V Police Flipper? Good reviews on this Italian made blade.

Very nice! No I haven't but it's yet another one to consider.

IOaLVgK.jpg

I had a change of heart at the last-second and decided to go with the bead blasted blade on the Helix Nano instead of the stone washed blade. I just thought it looked prettier. There was no difference in price. Not much criticism of Guardian Tactical out there, either, so they must be doing something right.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    851dda12904dd22ca632a612fd06e2ed.jpg

6e7a7535bb7573aeb2b51dd40dc0438a.jpg

1e71a0e914123f0c3f49f642cccd0ff7.jpg

Handmade tracker and sheath from a good friend a local to Maryland knife maker. It’s on a 6” round post for size reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need to look into advertising photography for a large company. Everything you take a photo of and post I want to buy.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    You really need to look into advertising photography for a large company. Everything you take a photo of and post I want to buy.

Dang thanks! I like product photos. It’s fun for me. I’m trying to help out my friend with some of his knives. That thing is a hoss. Chopped down a young tree and still shaves your arm. The blade is a little dirty in that photo series

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Dang thanks! I like product photos. It’s fun for me. I’m trying to help out my friend with some of his knives. That thing is a hoss. Chopped down a young tree and still shaves your arm. The blade is a little dirty in that photo series

Looks like a Topps knife. Very nice. Product photos are your thing for sure. That one you did of the VTR recently was good. And the revolver with the Boker fixed blade in front of the wood is my screensaver on my phone. Hope you don’t mind.

Always good stuff.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Looks like a Topps knife. Very nice. Product photos are your thing for sure. That one you did of the VTR recently was good. And the revolver with the Boker fixed blade in front of the wood is my screensaver on my phone. Hope you don’t mind.

Always good stuff.

That’s awesome!! I know you liked that picture when I posted it a while ago. Products are fun because you don’t have to manage an alive subject lol. Taking pictures of dogs is ridiculous and I never really take pictures of people either. I like landscapes too

Since this is a knife thread here is another he made as well. This one not for sale.

cf2fb72f0bb07aec831bedeb4626c4ff.jpg

34e893831a55e1b80ea3d73a3cfbb1ac.jpg

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    Handmade tracker and sheath from a good friend a local to Maryland knife maker. It’s on a 6” round post for size reference.

Who is the maker? Very good looking knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Who is the maker? Very good looking knife.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I mentioned upthread that some of the Italian blades are very appealing and appear to be extremely robust. I've been looking at the offerings from Maserin, Lion Steel and Fox and had pretty much settled on a Fox 528 'Tur' Vox as the next pick-up.

emI4HZR.jpg

But I think the $200 price is a bit much, even for a Jasper Voxnaes-designed EDC knife with a carbon fiber handle and 3" of Elmax steel. It gets great reviews, though.

OTOH, I think this FX-516 FKMD B.R.I. knife (Brigade de Recherche et d´Intervention, a Paris-based special forces unit) was too good of a deal to pass-up for $50 less:

qYqzFJ9.jpg

G-10 Handle. N690Co steel. 3.5" blade. I know that tactical folders aren't everybody's cup of tea but, I like well-made, hard-use funky and different.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Ebms0YD.jpg

I'm not one who usually buys things sight unseen but, the Guardian Tactical Helix Nano was a risk that I'm glad I took. I mean, it really wasn't much of a risk. Guardian Tactical was started in 2013 by Andrew Buerk, Microtech's former chief of design and engineering.

OK, so Andy isn't the most dynamic individual I've ever seen on-camera but, he's an engineer. I'll give him a pass but, dude, seriously, think about hiring a hot PR/Marketing spokes-gal to do these types of interviews for ya! LOL

While GT's focus has been primarily on the LE and military markets, it has spent practically nothing to promote its products in the civilian retail market. It's almost a running joke on Blade HQ that they're the best knife company that nobody has ever heard of. Heck, I only ran across them by accident, while shopping online for a (lightly used) Microtech mini Socom Elite.

YNjTRMg.jpg

I think the Helix Nano is a great blend of style, functionality, size and weight. The build quality is impeccable.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Z, you trouble maker. ;) You got me on eBay tonight looking at folders before today's coupon expires.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    hlU5FCg.jpg

As I mentioned upthread, I was looking at the FX-528 Tur when I saw this monstrosity of a tactical folder that, unlike the Tur, seemed under-priced ($160) for all that it offered.

And now that I've had half of a day to play around with it and do the obligatory paper and cardboard cutting tests, I'm impressed with the functionality of the design, ergonomics and quality of the build. The flipper on this thing is amazing. I didn't think it would be all that great considering the size and weight of the blade but it deploys with gusto. The upper choil is also a nice design feature that provides a wide, comfortable spot for your thumb to ride and the jimping is aggressive without being too abrasive.

This is from the FKMD site:

The Fox FKMD B.R.I. Knife is a bulldog of a tactical knife, designed by Stephane Ballarin, and manufactured by the Fox Knives Military Division. The B.R.I. (Brigade de Recherche et d'Intervention - the French Special Forces Unit), features a 3.5" clip point blade made of N690Co stainless steel, .15" thick, with a non reflective black finish, a top swedge and a fuller. The blade has a notched thumb rest for secure grip, dual thumb studs and a flipper for ambidextrous one hand opening. The black G10 handle, 4.8" closed, has steel liners for strength, a liner lock, and a glass breaker/impact weapon at the pommel. A side to side reversible pocket clip is mounted at the butt end. The FKMD B.R.I. has an overall open length of 8.3", and it weighs 8.5 ounces. Made in Italy.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The FKMD looks like a beast.

Heads up on a sale for a nice discontinued ZT titanium frame lock flipper. Couldn't resist pulling the trigger. Ships Tuesday. http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zero-tolerance/zt-0920-les-george-flipper-titanium-in-stock-now/

Great price on the 0920! Don't blame you for going after that one. I've also seen some killer prices on the 0850, too ($229).

That FKMD is so fugly it's a modern art masterpiece. LOL But, the ergos and the blade are both awesome.

eR8vTB5.jpg

They're interesting knives for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom