• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    While it's not as bad as a certain "sporting goods store in Arundel Mills mall", occasionally there are folks who don't have a clue and just want to finger-fudge some shiny guns. They aren't serious about buying anything or getting more information on a certain model or comparing models, just to fumble with guns they aren't going to buy.

I wasn't there and don't know exactly how things went down. I have seen similar events, but if the shop is full, he has to spend as much time with each customer as possible. You could have (and again, I don't know if you didn't) said: "I'm interested in a SGL-34-91 but don't know 100% about it." I'm sure he would have spent a few minutes with you on it, and maybe processed the guy's bipod transaction as he was doing it. Again, time is money. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend more than 2 or 3 minutes on somebody who may or may not be rock-solid on what they are looking for at the moment if I have 3 customers who are waiting to pick up approved purchases.

I've walked out of his shop before when it's been super busy. It is easy for me to get to, so I'll go back again when hopefully it's slowed down a bit. For you having a further drive, that may not have been an option. Don't let one situation turn you off to a great store.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I had a similar experience at another shop a few weeks ago. They were in another state and I had never been there but had heard good things about them so I figured I'd take a trip and possibly bring something home. They were fairly busy but they had a heck of a selection to browse through so no big deal. Once I found something I was interested in, I headed for the counter and proceeded to wait and wait and wait. Before I knew it, 45 minutes had elapsed and I was no closer than when I started. For me, the fact that I had to wait was no big deal, what bothered me was that there was only one employee actually helping customers while no less than 4 other employees did absolutely nothing but shoot the breeze in a corner. The guy who actually was helping customers was doing a great job, he was thorough in answering everyone's questions, etc... but, he was also entertaining every local who wanted to just stop by and chew the fat even though they weren't buying anything. Would I go back? Probably because one incident isn't enough to judge a whole business in my book and who knows, perhaps in your situation, the person who finally waited on you may have been dealing with a long line of talkers before you ever reached the counter. Does that justify it? No but heck we all have bad days.

The way you were treated is one of the reasons I dont work at a gun store anymore. I HATE gun store employees like that. It seems everyone that works at gunstores are lazy jerks who just overprice everything so no one buys anything (Its less work for them). The store I worked at had several employees just like you described.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't agree with that either

How about the guy that bought a gun from the shop up the street, finds out its busted and wants me to fix it for free. Im a gunsmith after all and if I dont he will go online and make up a story about me.......

Theres the drunks that come in as well....

Straw Purchasers..........

Minors.........

Cops and their Dougnut Powder covered fingers pawing on the guns........

People who steal merchandise or guns.............

Legal Experts............

;)

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    The customer in NOT always right IMHO. They are wrong about 95% of the time in my experience. Sometimes peoples sense of humor or personalities dont jive.

Can you just let it go already!? One time I call you as a customer asking for advice on doing a trigger polish ramp guide upgrade on my AR-22 in 30-06 that had the tactical sling sights and I'm "that guy" that brings you to say on the interwebs that 95% of us are always wrong...:sad20::sad20:

:lol2::D:thumbsup:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I buy almost all of my stuff from Mark because I get incredible service when I'm there, as well in the interim while waiting for paperwork to come back, on the phone, and via pm here.

I also consider Mark a friend now.

So knowing that, if anyone steps out of line here and posts some made up ******** that lacks credibility, I will yank your post and send you packing for a week long vacation.

So far so good, but the goddamned dogpiling that takes place around here sometimes is reminiscent of dealing with a bunch of first graders crying for attention.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Could it be unfamiliarity with the firearms community?

Sometimes initial impressions, are mis-impressions...

in order to expand it's ranks, the firearms community needs to do a better job of answering the questions of new shooters. Let's say there's this guy who is interested in getting into shooting. He goes into a couple of gun shops, since he has some questions about things he read on the internet. He is treated like he is a total moron. He is likely to take up basket-weaving instead.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I haven't been up there and do understand your frusteration but with that being said.........80% of the threads on this forum are about what a great experience people have had with Mark and his shop. I can't speak from experience as I usually go to engage (and get great service) but with that being said..........next time shoot them a PM and if your response is less that satisfactory well...then bash them. Not right out of the gate. Mark and his shop have a lot of respect around here for the quality service they provide, from what I have heard.

I hope you find your gun and at a great price and when you get it toss some pics up........nothing sexier to me than a good ole' AK!!!

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I've been treated both bad and good in every type of store....
    I think because this is a shooting forum we only hear about gun shops but
    I've been mistreated in all kinds of stores

Take for instance last week I was in the $0.25 XXX peep store and they treated me like I was a dirty old man when I asked for the "Alice in Wonderland special"

did I just say that?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Take for instance last week I was in the $0.25 XXX peep store and they treated me like I was a dirty old man when I asked for the "Alice in Wonderland special"

did I just say that?

They were great to me. I even got a free box of tissues.....

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    in order to expand it's ranks, the firearms community needs to do a better job of answering the questions of new shooters. Let's say there's this guy who is interested in getting into shooting. He goes into a couple of gun shops, since he has some questions about things he read on the internet. He is treated like he is a total moron. He is likely to take up basket-weaving instead.

In your scenario, the prospective buyer would find a fit with a shop.

Sometimes there are personality conflicts, and the buyer would move onto the next shop until he/she is satisfied. :shrug:

Longhammer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 23, 2009
    I know I probably shouldn't but I'm going to throw my $.02 in here:

I don't do business with 2A because they rubbed me the wrong way and they're literally 30 sec. from my house. In short, it wasn't the service that stopped me from going there but the attitude/atmosphere/perception/vibe (and it wasn't a "bad" attitude, just an off-key/awkward feeling; dunno) that I picked up on while receiving service that made me change my mind about doing business with them. I just didn't feel comfortable while talking with Mark and his staff and comfort with the sales staff when dumping $600+ on weapons of mass destruction is important to me. I can certainly see where Gundahar is coming from; at the same time, I can see where Mark/Staff is coming from.

If they're busy, and it's late in the evening, they don't have time to play 20 questions. When in his shop, I always waited until most if not all other customers were served before I started in with my questions. The dispute with the other fella (who might have been better known) probably set the wrong tone for the conversation too.

So I drive to White Marsh to do business with GC now because I feel comfortable with Dan and Ron. Now, that said. Mark had always answered my questions and offered me coffee when in his shop (total of 3 times I visited). He always quoted me his price to get the pieces I wanted. If it wasn't for my discomfort with him/staff, I'd do more business there.

I don't do business with them either. 2 bad experiences was enough

oom

Mar 22, 2011
    My first firearm purchase was through 2A, and I had a good experience, though when it is just Mark there he can get busy quickly if just a few people show up. Still, I'm a bit surprised by the OP's experience (even though I was never offered coffee!) Having said that, Engage IS on my way home from work... so they've got the bulk of my business since then.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The only experience I had with 2A was a phone call. I had a few questions about something they had in stock. I'm pretty sure I talked to Mark, and he was nothing but helpful. He seems like a nice guy to me.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    Has to more to this story....I drive over an hour to do business with Mark.
    He has never been anything but professional.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your experience; sometimes we all have bad days or wrong perceptions of others.

I must say that dealing with 2A and Mark has always been exceptional. What I observed is that Mark will go out of his way to provide a great service at an unbeatable price.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    I pm'd the op with my opinion and suggestion. But to be brief I told him to go back to Mark, and explain the situation. I guarantee you that Mark will be the first guy to apologize and extend his hand of friendship. Everyone has a bad day, and everyone deserves a second chance.

With that said....there is a reason why 2A has those long-ass lines = Top Notch Store

p.s. Although that cheap SOB has never offered me a single donut or a single cup of coffee.:innocent0

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom