• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Because of my inattention during a BS and Cleaning session, I accidentally jammed my KP90DC's slide so it wouldn't move in either direction.

I toyed with taking it to a gunsmith and I even spoke with Ruger support (which the guy I spoke to must of been having a bad day) but seeing that with shipping and repair costs exceeding $100, I decided to give fixing it myself a shot...

I'm happy to say, I was able to fix it and here is how I fixed it.

First, the slide got jammed when I put the slide back on with the ejector down. This prevented the slide to move back to cock the hammer. Well I totally freaked and tried moving the slide forward and it wouldn't move as well. I was at total meltdown now...

Fast forward to yesterday: I searched high and low on how to take apart a K90 and found some that made sense, but I've never took apart a gun at this level. Here's what I did to fix it sorted by issues.

1. Slide not moving towards the hammer: The Guide Rod had jumped out of it's slot at the barrel end so it couldn't extend from the hole as the slide moved backwards. I took a small screwdriver and prodded it to go back in place. Once this was done I was able to move the slide back.

2. Slide not moving off the front of the lower assembly.
    a. I remove the grips
    b. I pushed out the retaining pin for the "Hammer Spring Seat, with Lanyard loop" (V02400) and removed it and the "Hammer Spring" (V00400) and the "Hammer Strut" (V01601).

c. I pushed out the retaining pin for the "Ejector" (Q00900) releasing it and the "Ejector Spring" (KV00951). I had to pry around to get the Ejector removed because of its shape and how it bends around the frame.
    d. I then removed the "Hammer Pivot Assembly" (KV22300)

Once these items were removed the slide slid off the front of the gun with no problem.

3. Now comes the tricky part, reassembly. :)

In this picture each of the components are numbered by the order they are reinstalled into the gun.

kp90dc-01.jpg

a. Insert 1,2,3 into the gun and press down the whole frame on the lanyard loop to compress the spring and slip in the retaining pin.

kp90dc-02.jpg

b. Press and hold down the lever "A", the "Ejector" has a tab that goes behind this component.

kp90dc-03.jpg

c. Place the spring "B" into the ejector "A" in the same orientation as in the picture. The top hoop of the sprint slips over that tab you see on the ejector just below the letter "A".
    d. Now compress the spring and the ejector so that you can insert the retaining pin.

kp90dc-04.jpg

Here you see how the spring should be installed.

kp90dc-05.jpg

Here you see the top hoop of the spring wrapping around the ejector's tab.

e. Now take the "Hammer Pivot Assembly" and insert it into the gun making sure the hammer is pivoting around this component.

Install the slide as you normally do and the gun is back in working order.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Good job! A few months ago I repaired a single action with a broken spring; a tremendous feeling of accomplishment.

It may not be a bad idea to have a gunsmith check it out at your leisure.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    i'll remember not to do tgst to a Ruger P series auto

I have a black powder revolver on which the trigger/bolt spring broke. I made another using a 1911 sear spring as the spring stock.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks.
    Yes, I was ecstatic after figuring this out. My job just cut my salary by over $1000 a year (our salary has been frozen for 4 years and freaking taxes are still going up) and I couldn't justify the cost of getting it repaired.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Fantastic post!

I have a P95 and have never experienced any problems, but it's great to know there's good info out there to help, and someone locally that's taken one apart.

I'm great at taking things apart, but reassembly is my nemesis.:o

Good job working it out yourself.:thumbsup:

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Fantastic post!

I have a P95 and have never experienced any problems, but it's great to know there's good info out there to help, and someone locally that's taken one apart.

I'm great at taking things apart, but reassembly is my nemesis.:o

Good job working it out yourself.:thumbsup:

Thanks, with all the help I've received from this forum, I'm glad that I could contribute to it in a meaningful way.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I don't happen to own this pistol, but if I did - i would be VERY appreciative of the level of detail you captured and recorded for the post. thanks for taking the time to do so.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    You're welcome, I spent most of my time trying find a fix online and became real frustrated for the lack of reassembly help.

Now my wife is suggesting to me that I should take a gunsmithing course. I'm not sure if she was being sarcastic or not. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom