• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I am not sure where the debate is heading but IMHO a DAO revolver in a shrouded hammer configuration is inherently safe for pocket carry without a holster. Of course depending on your choice it may be bulky and uncomfortable. YMMV

This is exactly my sentiment/opinion.

That's fine. I get it. But unless you have something in that pocket(and you press that pistol down), what in the world could possibly press that trigger from inside that pocket our from behind the jeans/front of the jeans? I dare say that cannot even be done with a finger from either side.

Yep. Normal heavy revolver DA triggers.

I have been known to do this too on rare occasion. Mostly if I'm just stepping outside and a little lazy.

----
    Lost track of the OP's question... But LCR is great gun, any caliber; pros/cons to each. For pocket carry I do strongly recommend in pocket holster and nothing else in that pocket. Clean that gun more often. Enclosed hammer (like the S&W Centential or Ruger LCR) are best suited for this purpose.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    What's the consensus on this set up for a pocket carry when a belt is not worn for a holster? Moving to North Carolina next week and I'm getting my freedom in line before I set out the 18th.

I have my holster gun covered but I am very curious in a pocket gun if I am in casual clothes. I read the LCR .357 was a tame option for .38sp carry. Anyone have experience with sort of set up??

Thank you
    - Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok let's reign it back in. Yes my idea for the thread was
    people's in hand experience of the LCR .357 firing .38's
    If not the LCR (shootability being the driving factor, aesthetics don't even matter) then what
    Pocket carry while not wearing a belt only a draw string. My thought on that is, I don't ALWAYS wear jeans. Sometimes I prefer to bum it, otherwise the 19+Eidolon will be worn

I have no fear of a ten pound trigger with internal hammer sitting in a pocket. Ten pounds is a deliberate action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baggy sweatpants and drawstring with pocket pistol; not so good for walking around, moves too much, slaps your leg, not recommended.

Maybe try SmartCarry or ThunderWare, or a tee shirt designed for gun carry. Keep it tight, close to your body.

Whatever you do, try it unloaded at home - a lot, before wearing in public. You don't want any mishaps.

If you know you will only carry .38, get the .38, not the .357. Also try to shoot them both first, and the 9mm version. Recoil sensitive folks should also try the 22WMR and 22LR. Both are capable in the right (trained) hands; but generally not my first choice for a defensive caliber.

I find the three biggest issues for some newer shooters with less than average hand strength is:

1-Working the slide (semi auto obviously)
    2-Heavy trigger
    3-Managing recoil

Training for most people can overcome all of these issues. Hand strength, pistol grip and proper technique.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    LCR specifically I have no experience, but wil comment based upon alum framed revolvers of similar size and weight. And as a given in this discussion, pocket carried guns should alway be in a pocket by themselves, with nothing non gun there.

DA revolver not particularly likely to accidently go band, particularly if without hammer spur.

Protection of the gun from pocket grunders and misc crap is bigger concern, as alluded by MM pocket carried guns ( and ankle guns I'll add) need frequent inspection and wipedowns.

Pocket carry generally is dependent upon the size and shape of your pocket AND the size of your hand . Its not just a matter of being able to slide it into a pocket with a cpl fingers. You nedd to be able to effectively draw it. This means achieve a more or less firing grip on the gun while in the pocket, and then draw out from the pocket. For those of us with XXL hands , this is a big issue, for someine like SNI, not so much.

A revolver in the pocket will make a lump . Not necessarily a lump that screams Gun !! . Plenty of "normal" people will carry a fat wallet , big keyring, smart phone, whatever in a front pants pocket.

Sweat pants with cargo depend on how they fit and the contours of your body. They work for some people. Other of us have no butt, and they keep wanting to slide down. If I want to walk out to the mailbox in my sweats, I need one hand to keep them up , unless the drawstring is uncomfortably tight.

Since sweat pants material is soft and flexible ( hence the reason you want to wear them for comfort) it is a balancing act on fit. Too tight, and gun could print more. Too loose WILL flop around, and beat you on the leg among other things. You may or may not find an acceptable middle ground.

I'm not signing on the hate of pocket holsters. (Good ones) will break up outline of gun, provide protection from pocket grunders, or if other stuff accidently gets put in pocket. Most importantly, will help keep gun oriented in the pocket to be drawn, and allow for smoother draw. I whole heartedly recomend the Bob Mika holsters ( excellent and inexpensive, but must be ordered from Bob). The DeSantis is decent, albeit not very durable. But inexpensive enough to replace periodically.

As MM was refering, rather than pocket carry, a holster worn under the sweats. I can't wrap my mind around the idea of a holster that thinks its a jock strap . I would recomend a "belly band".

The name is a misnomer, and most of the advertisements show them used wrong. Don't wear them up around your midsection with the gun next to your belly button. Wear them at waist level, with the gun positioned similar to where you wear your belt holster, generally just behind strong side hip.

But for me, I can be relaxed and casual in cargo shorts or cut off jeans.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Less often than MPDC4511 would expect doesn't necessarily translate to Acceptably Safe .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great point, need something to go with my wardrobe. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2761.JPG
      IMG_2761.JPG
      16.4 KB · Views: 106

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I practice pocket carry my two J frame revolvers (similar size as LCR) around the house(I just got my NH CCL). The two most comfortable pocket rigs are:

1. DeSantis Superfly
    2. Sticky Holster

I had an LCR 38 and liked it, but prefer the J Frame S&W, but I'd love to hear people's experiences shooting .357 loads, as I might buy the LCR 357.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Less often than MPDC4511 would expect doesn't necessarily translate to Acceptably Safe .

Well I couldn't carry a 1911 cocked and locked that way of course but I'm comfortable with my 43 and would be very comfortable with a revolver in my rocket. Well comfortable that it wouldn't go off. I don't think that's very physically comfortable.

Everyone has their comfort level just voicing mine :). I mean there are threads here all the time where people are scared to carry with one in the chamber.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I practice pocket carry my two J frame revolvers (similar size as LCR) around the house(I just got my NH CCL). The two most comfortable pocket rigs are:

1. DeSantis Superfly
    2. Sticky Holster

I had an LCR 38 and liked it, but prefer the J Frame S&W, but I'd love to hear people's experiences shooting .357 loads, as I might buy the LCR 357.

SmartCarry around the house to get accustomed to carrying a gun in public.

Congrats on the NH permit, the 'show me' or 'live free or die' state I forget. ?

I should try the superfly.

The .357 LCR is a bit beefier, to last longer shooting .357; but honestly it hurts to shoot full power .357 loads. I'm not recoil adverse, but most of us will never shoot it enough for practice, it's literally a pain. I consider the 9mm version a small step up in power over the .38 version. Plus 9mm is a bit cheaper and shorter cartridge. Wish they made a 9mm LCRx (3" barrel and exposed hammer).

Do also consider the .22LR and WMR's.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I shoot .50DE and .454 one handed, but .38+P from a 13oz revolver is all the fun I care for. ( And 50rds of it is painful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom