• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    So I missed out on an AK or receiver before sb281...well come March 18th, I am a North Carolina resident and you know what that means...but all the guns!

That being said I want an entry levelish but long lasting -47
    Chrome lined is nice but not a super deal breaker as I can barrel swap years down the road after shooting surplus x39 if I feel frisky. In any event, how do people feel about the WASR 10? I am not interested in a poly stock set up for my first one, I just want a traditional set up for the AK cherry. Price is a consideration because again, not looking to drop $1k on my first AK.
    Funny enough, I have 6 AK mags in the closet as I knew one day I would buy one. Let me hear your thoughts, impressions, and real world experience with the different variants.
    Thank you
    --Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    WASR quality control is lower than other imports: the good ones are good and the bad ones have canted sights or poor groupings. Inspect in person before buying.

I'd recommend you go for a Bulgarian or Saiga conversion (if you can even find the latter these days). Both are consistent, quality imports. Hopefully the ban on Russian imports will be lifted during the Trump administration. Converted VEPRs are also quite nice, just a little heavier.

There are lots of US-built options too. Some are excellent quality and others are slapped together. Same story: try before you buy if possible.

Except for the poly folders, AK furniture is easily swappable if you really want the wood look.

However AKs are generally hit or miss for one that shoots really well. Even among a group of identical rifles coming from an official arsenal, groupings will vary widely from rifle to rifle. I've shot WASRs that are close to 1 MOA and Saigas that are 6 MOA on a good day. VEPRs are generally the most consistent in the accuracy department.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I had a 86s. Sold it to my buddy back in the late 80s. He still has it in its original box. I'm a lefty and as much as I liked it , it wasnt designed for me .

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Honestly, just buy an Arsenal. I've looked and looked and keep seeing problems with other AK rifles. You know you're getting a good gun when you buy Arsenal.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Honestly, just buy an Arsenal. I've looked and looked and keep seeing problems with other AK rifles. You know you're getting a good gun when you buy Arsenal.

I think it's hard to be an Arsenal. That will be my first purchase if I ever move out of this state or the Kolbe decision ever comes out in our favor.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    When I retire in 5 years, my wife and I are also thinking about moving to NC. Not exactly what part of NC, but it will be somewhere down there. Fayeteville/Cary maybe?

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Arsenal SLR-107 fixed stock 849.99. You can't beat that price one the most high quality true AKs on the market. Also furniture is typically pretty cheap to change out.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Hahaha wasn't it supposed to be under a G? I do love that Bakelite though.

What is that Mag?

Oh that's a dream AK.

Frankly, I have been grabbing kits for future builds post MD. Sad........we live in a state that drives productive citizens out over guns that are rarely if ever used in crimes.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    I think it's hard to be an Arsenal. That will be my first purchase if I ever move out of this state or the Kolbe decision ever comes out in our favor.

This! I think it's probably the only thing the Bulgarians can manufacture better than the Russians. My first choice. :party29: As others have said the WASR 10 is hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom