• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    My father in law expressed interest in wanting to give this a try. I know the basics of what to do with these but that's about where my knowledge stops. The hicock45 video on them from a while ago is where I learned the basics (need to rewatch now).
    He really likes the Uberti Cattleman .44. I do too for that matter but I was almost thinking of going the Colt Navy route for myself. Is uberti the brand to go with on these? We want shooters that will hold up while cared for well. Easy to work on is a plus. Thanks!

-Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Find an older Uberti or a Ruger Old Army.

They were very well made. From quality steel. And the parts were hardened properly.

The Pietta stuff is $149.99 worth of junk. Their internals couldn't be any softer if they were made from gummy bears.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My father in law expressed interest in wanting to give this a try. I know the basics of what to do with these but that's about where my knowledge stops. The hicock45 video on them from a while ago is where I learned the basics (need to rewatch now).
    He really likes the Uberti Cattleman .44. I do too for that matter but I was almost thinking of going the Colt Navy route for myself. Is uberti the brand to go with on these? We want shooters that will hold up while cared for well. Easy to work on is a plus. Thanks!

-Brent

You mean the Uberti 1873 Black Powder Cattleman cap and ball revolver?

You might want to look at the Ruger Old Army. Particularly in stainless.

They are not based on any particular historic revolver (neither is the Cattleman since that's based on a cartridge gun) but is most like the top strap cap and ball revolvers such as the 1858 Remington.

Ruger doesn't make them any longer but it's possible to find ones that are little-to unused.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I bought mine about 30 years ago and it is so nice, I thought Ruger would keep making them forever.:sad20:

I think they should at least continue with the original line. They came out with some "cowboy" themed pistols at the end that I don't think sold well so they decided to dump the whole line.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    It wouldn't even be worth picking up a less expensive modern uberti?
    This is just going to be for casual plinking and nostalgia. Those rugers look nice but they're pretty expensive for something I wouldn't protect my life with.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is just going to be for casual plinking and nostalgia. Those rugers look nice but they're pretty expensive for something I wouldn't protect my life with.

There's nothing wrong with Uberti. You might want look at how Colt replicas break down for cleaning versus top strap models such as the Remington replicas.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have an old Uberti 1860, and a newer 1847 Walker, both are well finished and shoot well. Have used Goex and grease in the past, but now use 777 and wonder wads, much cleaner to shoot, easier to clean, and works better with conicals. Just charge with a measure by volume, wad over the powder, bullet over the wad, press them in, then after the cylinder is loaded, cap with pinched #11s, and have fun. Only problem I have had is broken hand springs, which any Colt pattern BP will have, but easy enough to fit a couple spares.

md_kc

Aug 21, 2016
    Frederick County
    I have always wanted a Colt 1860 Army replica to shoot but never got around to getting one. It sounds the the Uberti copy is a good one. Even though I have an ROA, a Colt 2nd gen 1851 Navy, a generic 1851 Navy .44 [Euroarms?], and a Rogers & Spencer, I still want the 1860 Army. Always room for one more revolver in the gun safe. :)

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I always hear how the Pietta is crap but I have 2.
    New Army 58 and Navy 51
    I now only shoot them about 2-3 times per year with BP though. (I think I took it out 4 times in the first 2 months I got the Army)
    Cap and ball can be a pain in the arse if you are not ready for all the work involved in loading and cleaning.
    Watch vids if you don't have someone to take you shooting it.
    Did a cylinder conversion on my Army and I shoot it 4-5 times a year indoors also with my own cowboy loads I make.
    I used fffg black powder in mine, My dad elected to use pyrodex 30g pistol pellets which saved him lots of time.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The current Ubertis are quite nice too.

The Uberti Cattleman is a cartridge firing revolver (legally a "firearm") while the Pietta Cattleman is a cap and ball SAA clone. You can buy the Uberti and load your own black powder cartridges if you wish. It is a lot of fun, I wouldn't recommend the Pietta since there is no provision on the gun to reload the cylinders. Because it is an SAA clone, it does not have a built in loading ram. You must remove the cylinder and use a loading press.

If you want, you can get a cartridge conversion cylinder to let you fire .45 ACP or .45 LC out of a .44 revolver. The 1858 Remingtons are the best for these. You would handload "cowboy" pressure ammo with smokeless powder, no black powder to deal with (part of the fun though).

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I have 3 Pietta's. For the money I paid, they are working out for me. All are .44 cal and all take a .454 ball. PM me if you have any specific BP questions.
    Winch

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I own two Uberti cap and ball revolvers. An 1851 Colt Navy (.36 cal) and a Remington New Model Army (.44 cal). They are both nice looking and haven't given me any trouble. Next on my list is an 1860 Colt Army (.44 cal).

I would shy away from the Cattleman BP version since you would need a separate loading stand as was mentioned. Not a huge issue but if you just want one to try out and shoot, I would go with a model with the built in loading lever.

The Colt Navy is such a cool firearm. The feel, balance and style can't be beat IMHO. The traditional caliber is .36 but I think Pietta makes a .44. If you go with a .36 you will probably need to order round balls online or find a local source for .376 or larger. Hornady for example only makes a .375 and they fit a little loose. When loading, you want to shave a thin ring of lead.

With a .44, you can go into just about any store that carries black powder supplies and find .454s.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Of course it would be worth it. Uberti or Pietta - both are equally good. Watch Midway for their inevitable sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom