• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Nothing wrong with that. Some kids learn by doing, instead of classroom instruction.

The only wishy washy part, is "authorizing 10 certain apprentice hunting licensees to hunt without supervision under certain 11 circumstances". An apprentice needs to be supervised.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    ..... without first taking a Hunter Safety Education course.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=hb1223&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2016RS

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on this.

Thanks,

Wendy
    Hunter Ed Instructor

I didn't grow up hunting, and I like the idea. I think not wanting to go through all the trouble of getting a hunter safety certificate for a one time hunt, or a "trial" might be a good idea. Although it could lead to a lot of abuse.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I didn't grow up hunting, and I like the idea. I think not wanting to go through all the trouble of getting a hunter safety certificate for a one time hunt, or a "trial" might be a good idea. Although it could lead to a lot of abuse.

Agreed, there is no age limit addressed in the proposed bill.

For adults arguments can go either way, if you can afford to buy a gun to go hunting, you can afford to get hunter education. The good middle ground: an adult can only get 1 apprentice license before requiring hunter education certification.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    This drops the license fee from $130 to $20 for non-residents apprentice. That makes a nice savings for anyone coming into the state for a one-time trip. Should be good for guide businesses.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Agreed, there is no age limit addressed in the proposed bill.

For adults arguments can go either way, if you can afford to buy a gun to go hunting, you can afford to get hunter education. The good middle ground: an adult can only get 1 apprentice license before requiring hunter education certification.

Agree with you on the middle ground. Personally it wasn't the price of the hunting license or training that put me off, it was the mandatory training, specifically the field day. It just takes so long and you have to set a whole day aside.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To me so long as the apprentice is being supervised by an adult with a hunting license at all times and is under a certain age, like maybe under 14 or possibly 16 I think it is fine. I think once you hit a certain age, even if you had an apprentice license that you should have to pass the regular hunter safety course and get a regular license.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Agree with you on the middle ground. Personally it wasn't the price of the hunting license or training that put me off, it was the mandatory training, specifically the field day. It just takes so long and you have to set a whole day aside.

A Hunter education certificate, is not the same a drivers license. You can successfully complete any lower 48 state's Hunter Education course, and Maryland will honor it.

Yes, Maryland has streamlined their content to afford the Field day. Could they stream line it more? sure.

Based on teaching Hunter Education in Maryland, my team requires adult supervision of minors, present on the ground during class. You would be surprised of what the adults learn from just being there by having a safety refresher, the nuances that are peculiar to Maryland, or someone who has just moved into the state.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    A Hunter education certificate, is not the same a drivers license. You can successfully complete any lower 48 state's Hunter Education course, and Maryland will honor it.

Yes, Maryland has streamlined their content to afford the Field day. Could they stream line it more? sure....

Isn't it a requirement to attend a field day in order to get your Hunter Education certificate? At least when I got mine there was not a completely online coarse.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Isn't it a requirement to attend a field day in order to get your Hunter Education certificate? At least when I got mine there was not a completely online coarse.

If you take Maryland's online course as an adult: Yes.

If you take Texas' online course as an adult: No.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My eldest had apprentice listened in Va a year ago, he could not get into any field day to hunt deer when he finally said he wanted to.
    The apprentice inVa is good to get them started and is under direct supervision

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My friend hunted with me in Virginia this way. He had never been around hunting before, so it was a good way for him to try it out. He ended up taking the class the following week and now always gets a license.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Based on teaching Hunter Education in Maryland, my team requires adult supervision of minors, present on the ground during class. You would be surprised of what the adults learn from just being there by having a safety refresher, the nuances that are peculiar to Maryland, or someone who has just moved into the state.
    I think for this reason, Hunter Safety should be mandatory. Just my opinion, but I think anyone hunting, regardless of age should be well taught by an instructor prior to being granted a license to hunt.

I am old enough to be grandfathered in and not require a Hunters Safety certificate, but I hunt out of state too and it was getting to be a hassle at times when buying licenses out of state, so I took the course just to have the creds. It was a valuable course imo and I scored a perfect score on the test, largely because I was taught properly over the years by my Dad and peers and I have been hunting in all forms for all of my adult life. I understand the 'teach them yourself' argument, but some are just plain not qualified to do that... :lol2:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I have mixed feelings on it. MD's current course required 12 hours of my life and one round down range after taking a test that you could not fail. Took three evenings to accomplish and could have been challenged after the first night. It was designed for a 6-8 year old to pass and honestly was pretty boring for an adult.

choptank

Feb 13, 2016
    I've been through the course three times, once myself, and once with each of my boys. The volunteer instructors do a fine job with the kids in my experience, and no matter what else you say, 10 hours of adults talking about safety must have some cumulative effect that soaks into their brains, even if they don't remember every word.

The online option for adults makes it pretty reasonable.

Actually, the more I think about it, a few "apprentice" hunts ought to be a REQUIREMENT for getting a full blown license (at least for a kid). Have a licensed hunter sign off on two or three hunts, on the honor system, before a new hunter can get a full solo license, just like they make you log hours for driving licenses for kids, or flying airplanes. Just a thought!

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    There are enough idiots hunting without giving them an option to avoid hunters safety. If they want to encourage hunting tourism, just have a reasonably priced limited non-resident liscense available that is good for say one week from date of purchase.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I absolutely don't think an adult should be able to get an apprentice license. My arguement is that a kid supervised by a licensed hunter should be able to so long as they stay supervised. Yeah there are some real idiots out there, but I'd put my money on if mom or dad or uncle Billie are idiots and are taking a kid out, a hunter safety course for the kid probably won't make a ton of difference if their adult supervisor tells them to do something stupid.

Personally I'd like the option when taking my 8yr old hunting to let him have a try with my 22lr going after squirrels if he wants a try. Yeah I'd want him to go through the whole course at some point, but it isn't like I am going to let him carry around a gun. I'd hand it to him when it was time, stand behind him, help him aim and tell him when he could shoot. And just put one round in the mag. I realize stupid is as stupid does, but I think the best a hunters safety course can do is teach the right things to do if you are willing to listen. Which in theory if you've done that, you'll make sure your kid is doing it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom