• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    I inherited some 45 Colt Long ammunition when my father passed in 1999. It was probably 20+ years old at that time. I didn't know what to do with it while cleaning up his things, so it has been sitting in my safe.

Not only do I not have anything that would take it, it is now pretty old. Is there some why to dispose of this safely? If so, where?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    To actually dispose of it, we would need some hint of your location.

To all the people that want it, maybe you should ask if they are reloads first, unless you are intending to disassemble them for the components.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    20 years old is NOT old.

It's a LOT fresher than most of the ammo I shoot.

Ammo ain't like bread. It keeps a LONG time.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    20 years old is NOT old.

It's a LOT fresher than most of the ammo I shoot.

Ammo ain't like bread. It keeps a LONG time.

Yep. Ammo doesn't expire, if kept dry it can last almost indefinitely. They sometimes still dig up ammo from wars many decades ago that still works.

Even if the powder is bad, some cartridge components may be recycled by a reloader.

We need to know generally where you are; I'm not interested personally, but I'm sure someone here can help you.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Nobody quite spelled it out but none of us would reload for a stranger and most not even for friends, so even though he was YOUR dad, we would pull his reloads for the components.

If factory, there is a slim chance that somebody would find the original packaging and ammo collectible. It's not really 20 years it's more like 36 years old and that may fill someone's need or it may not. Do you want to hang on to it longer looking for the right person?

If it's a lot you can sell it/trade it in the classifieds when you have 50 posts or if it's less than a box and you just want it out of your hair you can give it away for karma.

spatchcock

Sep 7, 2015
    I don't know much about it, but it is packed in commercial boxes, so I suspect it is commercial. I don't believe he was a reloader, never saw any indication of it. I think there are two boxes.

I just posted this in a whim, I'll go dig it out of storage and get a better look at what it is. The gun was a reproduction single action revolver - I wasn't interested at the time so it went to a family friend. I would have given him the ammo too, but I found it much later.

Thanks! I'll make sure someone gets to use it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yep. Ammo doesn't expire, if kept dry it can last almost indefinitely. They sometimes still dig up ammo from wars many decades ago that still works.

About ten years or so ago, the world's leading expert and collector of Civil War munitions was killed by the explosion of a 150 year old artillery shell he was working on. Worked just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom