• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just took my brand new LCP to Hap, was surprised at it's inaccuracy. This is my 1st mouse gun, are they all like that? I realize it's purpose is for close in work, but I found it hard to hit the target at 15 yds. Didn't think I'm getting this bad in my old age.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Oops, I'm too used to speaking in range terms of yds. Meant to say 15 - 20 ft.

OK, at that range, it's not the guns "accuracy" it's the shooters fault. The long heavy trigger and lack of real sights can make it hard to keep on target. More dry fire practice should help that a lot.

Archi

Vote or die trying
    Jan 9, 2012
    Interesting … LCP is my BUG. Every time I go to the range I shoot my S&W Shield at 25 yards – with and without laser – in case I ever need to make a long, slow shot. So the other day I tried it with my .380 LCP and I couldn’t believe the accuracy. IIRC, every shot of the 6-shot clip was in the 8 inch circle and a couple just off the bullseye … better than I do with the Shield.

Mine has a laser that activates from pressure of the second finger so every shot is a laser shot. My theory is that the long slow trigger pull made me hold on target with less inclination to flinch. The Shield trigger moves very little once you take the slack out.

Separately, regarding the LCP, a few years ago mine began failing. I sent it back to Ruger and they ‘totaled’ it and sent me a brand new gun. They never said what they found but it must have been substantial. And BTW, if I had not gotten an HQL there would have been no way for me to take possession of my new ‘free’ gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To get on common page :

Firing method ? (ie two hand standing or two hand braced, or ?? )

Actual distance ?

Actual group size ?

Amount of poi/poa offset ( if group size permits a meaningful observations).

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    To get on common page :
    Firing method ? (ie two hand standing or two hand braced, or ?? )
    Actual distance ?
    Actual group size ?
    Amount of poi/poa offset ( if group size permits a meaningful observations).

1 & 2 hand, standing.
    15-20 ft
    1 bullseye, 4 others within 5 inches about 7 or 8 o'clock. Out of 50 rounds.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Can't speak for the LCP (original) but the LCP II is great. I shoot it at 10yrd (not ft) no problems keeping it on 8" target (Standing Freestyle 2 hands). Just keep practicing - start with bench rest to get an idea of point of aim with that thing. They have Bench Rests for hand guns there on a shelf on the back wall. Then go back at standing freestyle. After a while, I'm sure you'll really love it. Don't be discouraged.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    most mouse guns are sufficiently accurate at the mechanical level, some snubby revolvers or fixed barrel blow-back models can be suprisingly accurate. Problem is, they are very hard to shoot well with short sight radii, crappy triggers, tiny grips, and usually recoil that quickly fatigues the shooter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Bullseye on what target ? On say a B-3 the "black" is 3in, 10 ring more like inch. B-27 the whole thing is "black" , max zone for T&Q is like 12x16 in , 10 ring is like 4x6 in .

" most 5 inches at 7-8 o'clock " Is this a cluster at 7-8 o'clock 5in from 10 ring ? A group of 5 inch Diameter ? Or 5 inch Radius ( 10 in dia )?

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I shoot my LCP II at paper plates at 5 and 7 yards. 5 yards quickly and 7 yards a little more timed. If all the shots at 7 yards are on the flat part of the plate I consider that good. In a defensive situation I know the gun can do its part.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I shoot my LCP II at paper plates at 5 and 7 yards. 5 yards quickly and 7 yards a little more timed. If all the shots at 7 yards are on the flat part of the plate I consider that good. In a defensive situation I know the gun can do its part.

And that is all this cheap pistol is meant to do.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Interesting … LCP is my BUG. Every time I go to the range I shoot my S&W Shield at 25 yards – with and without laser – in case I ever need to make a long, slow shot. So the other day I tried it with my .380 LCP and I couldn’t believe the accuracy. IIRC, every shot of the 6-shot clip was in the 8 inch circle and a couple just off the bullseye … better than I do with the Shield.

Mine has a laser that activates from pressure of the second finger so every shot is a laser shot. My theory is that the long slow trigger pull made me hold on target with less inclination to flinch. The Shield trigger moves very little once you take the slack out.

Separately, regarding the LCP, a few years ago mine began failing. I sent it back to Ruger and they ‘totaled’ it and sent me a brand new gun. They never said what they found but it must have been substantial. And BTW, if I had not gotten an HQL there would have been no way for me to take possession of my new ‘free’ gun.
    Same experience here. The frame rail on the aluminum insert cracked, Ruger totaled the gun, and sent me a new LCP. Since it was a new serial number, I needed the HQL because the whole process required doing a 4473 and 77r. Ruger even covered these costs and the FFL's transfer fee. The really stood behind their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom