A good read for armed citizens as well...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's all you need to know. Unless that threat is right there within your self defense proximity, holster that pistol and head in the other direction. You will get shot. All it takes is for the Good Samaritan carrier to simply point in a direction of a shooter while the pistol is in the hand, that's a furtive threat movement to the cops you're trying to talk to.
    Everyone is a bad guy until things get sorted out.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I've shared this saying many times with co-workers; In 30+ years working in law enforcement I have never met a criminal who owned a holster, much less used a holster. A gun in a holster is a clue for any observant officer.

I did like the phrase; "Not every armed citizen will handle his weapon like a SWAT officer." Most officers don't handle their weapon like a SWAT officer. The majority of officers/agents I've worked with didn't like guns that much and handled them only when required, which isn't that often.

We just finished some mandatory Active Shooter training. It wasn't really covered and in my opinion never really has been covered well in any training, but what I am most concerned about is not being mistaken for an active shooter if I happen to be present when an incident occurs. When you draw your firearm, you become a target, both for bad people and good people, because none of them know which team you belong to. Blue on blue shootings are discussed occasionally among law enforcement training personnel, but blue on non-law enforcement, citizens who are just trying to do what they believe is right given a hazy, chaotic, dynamic situation? I can't say I've ever heard it come up during training or even in casual conversations.

Like so much of life, we do what we believe is the right thing given the information we have at that moment. We are all one decision away from tragedy and that decision may not be ours.

Be safe.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

The critical thing to remember is that the presence of a gun does not indicate a threat – the person with the gun is not necessarily a criminal!
    It’s up to you to evaluate the behavior of the armed person and determine if they are acting criminally, or just using force in the defense of innocent life.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Groups of people running away from shots are good guys.
    An armed person or 2 running to the shots are good guys.
    A person shooting in a group of people with bodies falling around them is the bad guy.

I am going to go with the averages and say the bad guy *most likely* will have some sort of rifle. Certainly a good citizen will only have a pistol.
    Reacting to an active shooter is a calm, thinking man's game if you are alone in it. Most are not going to have the mettle to stay cool, calm and collected trying to take out a shooter. Mindset is of the utmost.
    The point of reacting to an active shooter is to help people by going after and stopping the shooter. It is NOT helping by trying to guide them and ushering them to safety(rendering first aid) with a gun in your hand. Like this kid in Alabama? The cop(s) did not asses very well either. Both were at fault I believe.
    Incident comprehension. Guy with a gun within people not shooting, NOT the shooter. Especially if there are shots coming from some other direction.

People don't take direction well under stress. Take a look at the pictures of when Sully landed that plane in the Hudson. Fcking people standing out on the wings with their bags. This tells you 1. They clearly didn't listen to the FA's directions and 2. They aren't concerned firstly with the will to survive.

Best bet if alone, go the opposite direction if shooting is nowhere near you. If near you, take a shot(If confident enough) and you are in the fight. You follow through!
    With family,armed, and can't get out? I would follow my home invasion plan by hunkering down and wait for the threat to come to you. It most likely never will. Me? If we can't get outside, and shooting was imminent,I would prefer a restroom, one with 1 door where I could control access by peeking and see who's coming. There's usually a beautiful fatal funnel hallway leading to them. I will get a good shot. Again, hunkering down armed is my last resort.

Meh anyway, It's impossible to put down years of training on here. This is my worthless take on things. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom