• ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    2019/20 limit on Canada Geese will be 1

Bummer

Better than none by a long shot though

https://deltawaterfowl.org/atlantic...ortened-mallard-limits-reduced-for-2019-2020/

Canada goose hunters in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia face a limit of one bird daily, while the rest of the flyway’s Atlantic population zones will be permitted two daily. The move was largely spurred by poor Canada goose production in spring 2018, plus a 30 percent decline among Atlantic population Canadas in the most-recent breeding population survey.

“Atlantic Flyway biologists estimate it was the worst Atlantic population Canada goose production in 22 years,” said John Devney, Delta’s senior vice president, who attended the Atlantic Flyway Council meeting. “The collaborative Atlantic population banding effort accounted 30 juveniles for the 3,000 geese banded. That is abysmal.”

Atlantic population goose regulations are governed by a three-year average population estimate. The threshold for conservative regulations is 150,000 birds, and while this year’s estimate was 155,000, poor goose production compelled the Atlantic Flyway Council to act.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've bought stamps for the past 3 years, but only went once. Been focused on whitetail season. Not as fun, but way more convenient. My friends have lost interest in waterfowl.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Why even go hunt?

My friends

Goose hunting is a team sport. The worst part about the one bird limit is having your hunt end almost as soon as it starts. We had a few hunts last year where 4 of us had 6 birds early but things stretched out for a good while before we finished off. That’s the best hunt when you have birds so there’s no pressure of getting skunked and then you can relax and hang out. Driving a couple hours, putting decoys out for almost an hour and then ending the hunt on the first or second group would be a little anticlimactic.
    I’m sure all I’m going to hear this year in the pit is “wow next year we’d already be done.”

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    So, eventhough they are above the threshold, they are going to limit? Why not run another year and then check the average?

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Maybe, but with such a low value, I would have wanted a additional survey. I am not a wildlife biologist, but I would be looking for causes of the massive dropoff.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom