• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Due to a shortage in my time and my ammo budget, most of my stuff spends a lot of time sitting in the safe. One of those items is a Sig-Sauer pistol, which is kept in the original hard-case it came in. I check on everything every couple of months...just because. :)

So I took it out the other day, held it and looked down the sights, and noticed that the rear sight was obstructed. On closer inspection, I found that the rear site and the top of the slide had sticky "goo" on them. Feeling around the case, I discovered that the top edge of the case foam had become sticky. Essentially, the case foam is turning to goo all over my pistol.

I am not sure how this could happen. I know I didn't put the gun away hot...the last time I shot it was about a year ago, and I disassembled and cleaned it afterward, and have had it out several times since then and never noticed "goo". I thought maybe some gun oil had reacted with the foam...but like I said, a year ago, had it out since then, and the rear sight and top of the slide isn't the kind of place you'd see excessive oil. No humidity issues, either...I have a stick de-hu in the safe and a 95pt floor unit a few feet from the safe.

So I can only conclude that Sig packages their high-dollar handguns in cases with foam so cheap it will turn to sticky goo and make a mess of your investment. Is this a known thing??

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Due to a shortage in my time and my ammo budget, most of my stuff spends a lot of time sitting in the safe. One of those items is a Sig-Sauer pistol, which is kept in the original hard-case it came in. I check on everything every couple of months...just because. :)

So I took it out the other day, held it and looked down the sights, and noticed that the rear sight was obstructed. On closer inspection, I found that the rear site and the top of the slide had sticky "goo" on them. Feeling around the case, I discovered that the top edge of the case foam had become sticky. Essentially, the case foam is turning to goo all over my pistol.

I am not sure how this could happen. I know I didn't put the gun away hot...the last time I shot it was about a year ago, and I disassembled and cleaned it afterward, and have had it out several times since then and never noticed "goo". I thought maybe some gun oil had reacted with the foam...but like I said, a year ago, had it out since then, and the rear sight and top of the slide isn't the kind of place you'd see excessive oil. No humidity issues, either...I have a stick de-hu in the safe and a 95pt floor unit a few feet from the safe.

So I can only conclude that Sig packages their high-dollar handguns in cases with foam so cheap it will turn to sticky goo and make a mess of your investment. Is this a known thing??

I'm always on the hunt for great firearms that need some TLC. Ive found many deals due to damage caused by improper storage. That foam is open cell, it holds moisture and it will breakdown with solvents and oils. NEVER STORE YOUR FIREARMS IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE CASE FOAM!!! Many people will say "I've stored my guns in the packaging foams for years without a problem". Yeah, yeah, yeah until it becomes a problem which it often does.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I would think a solvent reaction.

The clue is that it is happening near the sites. Probably night sites, which contain tritium and emit radiation.

Op's case foam is becoming the main character in a 50's horror movie remake.

Unless they're not night sites, in which case yeah, probably solvent reaction. :)

Attachments

• tmp_16712-images1041205706.jpg
      tmp_16712-images1041205706.jpg
      6.5 KB · Views: 253

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    The clue is that it is happening near the sites. Probably night sites, which contain tritium and emit radiation.

Op's case foam is becoming the main character in a 50's horror movie remake.

Unless they're not night sites, in which case yeah, probably solvent reaction. :)

NEVER would have expected that to be a real thing. Noted.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I've been working with some foam, egg crate from an online dealer. Just took a scrap piece and poured on some solvents I stock.
    Mineral spirits - No effect
    Lacquer thinner - deformed (Enlarged) and foam tears easily
    alcohol - same as LT but not as bad
    Naptha - No effect
    Acetone - probably the worst.
    MEK - I'm out
    Toluene - never loan out your stuff

None of these were gooey, evaporation first. I doubt any of these were on your piece when put into the case so just fyi.

Rem Oil, WD40, Mobil1, frog lube .... no effect.

Winner, winner ... Liberal tears = gooey mess, OP stop you whining ! Sarcasm, sorry OP. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom