• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    A lot of this is common sense. As a Retired Police Officer I also carry. I'm 6'2" 225 Lbs have a beard an stach and also occasionally get stopped.

If Night I turn on the overhead as soon as I see the lights, drop the Drivers Window, Pull well off on the shoulder, don't reach for anything or try to put anything away. I put both hands at 12 O'Clock on the steering Wheel and wait for the Officer to approach the vehicle. As soon as the Officer is near the Window I say in a monotone voice loud enough to be heard " Sir. I am a Retired Police Officer, I have a Handgun Carry Permit. My Weapon is in a Holster on my Belt on my right hand side what would you like me to do?"

Works most times, no problems although, and there is always as although in these war stories. Had an Officer stop me on a Road in Maryland (Agency Withheld) stop me at Night, I did all of the above and he freaked and I do mean friggen assed freaked! he was screaming as he attempted to retrieve his sidearm, lost control of it one time but caught it before it hit the ground, began screaming orders "Get out of the car, no no stay in the car, put your hands on your head, don't move. dropped his flashlight, bent for it but popped back up without it. I could see the Pimples on his face as I saw the Glock pointed at my head (I think a couple of the pimples actually popped).

I froze, never took my hands off the wheel and repeated over and over " I'm a Retired Police Officer" I remember thinking to myself "this guys going to shoot me" It was not until after a Back up Unit arrived, an older Officer who had me put my hands out of the Window, cuffed me, opened my car door had me step out, removed my Weapon and asked where my ID was.

True story, and I was never so glad to be cuffed. After it was all over I asked that little snot, how as a trained Police Officer did you let this get so out of hand? his reply I threatened him. What (It wasn't really What that I said) but his reasoning was he could see what a big guy I was, I did not look like a Police, he thought I was lying and I was Armed.

Here's a case I did everything right and still came close to getting shot. I know what your thinking, if anyone was going home that night it was going to be me, Ya I admit it I had the same thought. Did I mention this is a true story, as true as my Christian Belief.

As we approach a time when the Honest Citizen may well be able to Carry if He/She desires it becomes a realization to me that it may well be the Citizen and not the Police Officer that will be called upon to be the calming influence in Police / Citizen Handgun encounters.

Damm that was one long story to make a two line Point. Anyway I think it was important to have a former Police Officer make the point that this is going to be a two way street and we cannot assume Police will be the only ones that will need to change, least a terrible mistake be made as has occurred many times in other States.

Lets make Maryland the first State to move into Carry without any Citizens or Police losing their lives in an unfortunate shooting.

Later,

Ed

Ed,

After a bad experience like that with the possibility of getting shot are you going to just not tell the officer about the gun unless he asks?

The reason I ask this is because this experience is the one CCW holders fear the most. Almost getting shot for doing the right thing.

You even went above and beyond in telling him about the gun/retired police status before he even asked about it to make to him feel more comfortable. Instead of making him more comfortable he felt less comfortable.

I know that if and when I can ever carry I will not tell the officer unless specifically asked because of this exact reason and story.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In Virginia, we are not required to tell the officer if we're carrying or not. I don't plan on telling, either. Not that I can get the gun out of the holster while I'm seated.

Jim

Last edited:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I didn't find it long and it was an enjoyable story. Glad you didn't get shot. Poor kid was just too green. Be interesting for you to run into him again today and see if he had a cooler head on his shoulders.

Excuse me! Too Green?

Then the FTO or whatever they're called in Maryland should NOT have an endorsed his independence.

The "poor kid" could have shot an innocent man...one who kept saying, "I'm a retired police officer." We poor civilians can't even yell that (legally).

No matter what the infraction, it seems more training is the answer. BS. Don't give them life and death authority until they know how to handle it.

Oh, boy....another can of worms just opened.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Excuse me! Too Green?

Then the FTO or whatever they're called in Maryland should NOT have an endorsed his independence.

The "poor kid" could have shot an innocent man...one who kept saying, "I'm a retired police officer." We poor civilians can't even yell that (legally).

No matter what the infraction, it seems more training is the answer. BS. Don't give them life and death authority until they know how to handle it.

Oh, boy....another can of worms just opened.

Duly noted. Too often I feel bad for those that I shouldn't. We all have weak spots...you're right the kid shouldn't have been let out on his own.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    In Virginia, we are not required to tell the officer if we're carrying or now. I don't plan on telling, either. Not that I can get the gun out of the holster while I'm seated.

Jim
    The reason I give notice could have a lot to do with my home jurisdiction, Baltimore.

Due to the nature of the animal, in Baltimore the first Officer to take notice of a Weapon Shouts "GUN" which will result in other Officers on the scene coming to a Point Ready Position.

Walk into any Station House in Baltimore and you would note the Brass RIP Plaques lining the Walls. In places like Baltimore where hesitation is synonymous with Death the last thing you want to occur is leading an Officer to believe you are hiding a Firearm from him.

Living and working in that kind of environment you may begin to see why I have been Hard Wired into identifying myself from the onset, perhaps not. I do believe by the very nature of the Beast, Baltimore, Right or Wrong will be a very tough sell for General issue of Concealed Carry Permits.

The first BPD officer to die in the line of duty occurred when Sergeant William Jourdan was shot and killed by an unknown gunman during the first city council elections on October 14, 1857. As of 2010 there have been 120 police officers killed in the line of duty, which is by far the largest total in Maryland.

Ed

Hitman4509

Dec 7, 2010
    PG Co
    In Virginia, we are not required to tell the officer if we're carrying or now. I don't plan on telling, either. Not that I can get the gun out of the holster while I'm seated.

Jim

If you cant get your gun out of your holster while you're seated, you need a new holster.....

Hitman4509

Dec 7, 2010
    PG Co
    No, I need to lose about 30 pounds :sad20: My gut doesn't let me lean forward enough to get the gun out of the holster when I'm wearing my belt tight enough to keep the gun up.

Jim

Touche.... That should be enough incentive by itself to get the weight off. I've been in many situations where something didnt rub me right at an intersection (I drive through some rough places to get to work) and had unsnapped JIC. That way if an attempt carjacking were to take place, I'd be able to unbuckle and draw in one basic motion. I'd hate to think I couldnt confidently draw in that position because of something I could change.

Not a sermon, just a thought....

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    No, I need to lose about 30 pounds :sad20: My gut doesn't let me lean forward enough to get the gun out of the holster when I'm wearing my belt tight enough to keep the gun up.

Those 30lbs put you at a higher risk of premature death than the car-jacking you are trying to protect against ;) .

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but in a state like MD, if we became "Shall Issue" many officers wouldn't know quite how to react, at least early on.

Had an Officer stop me on a Road in Maryland (Agency Withheld) stop me at Night, I did all of the above and he freaked and I do mean friggen assed freaked! he was screaming as he attempted to retrieve his sidearm, lost control of it one time but caught it before it hit the ground, began screaming orders "Get out of the car, no no stay in the car, put your hands on your head, don't move. dropped his flashlight, bent for it but popped back up without it. I could see the Pimples on his face as I saw the Glock pointed at my head (I think a couple of the pimples actually popped).

Massad Ayoob, did a training video (out on you tube) where he goes over his recommendation for traffic stop while carrying. He said three things that make sense to me.

1) Keep your hands in plain sight at all times.

2) DO NOT use the word "gun" in any context. (Say you have a permit to carry, he'll understand.)

3) Present your permit to carry with your license if asked to show ID. Do not otherwise volunteer that you are carrying (unless and until you are asked if you are or if you are asked to exit the vehicle.)

Basically he stressed informing the officer that you have a permit to carry a "weapon," and asking the officer how he wants to proceed from there.

He says, using the word "gun" can go right to the limbic system of some officers some of whom may train to react to that word if they hear it from their partner, etc.

Edhallor's approach of putting hands at exactly 12:00 and using the "G" word (handGUN) could convey a threat in combination with what could be perceived as unnatural body language. Remember, you may feel perfectly calm and still look tense or irritable to others. And honestly, who isn't a little tense when pulled over? The combination of factors could lead to the impression of a deadly threat in the mind of the officer.

Rather, you should try to remain relaxed with hands at 10:00 and 2:00 (visible, but not unnatural) move slowly and give the officer every opportunity to take in the situation. Above all, try to present a relaxed demeanor. If your body language says you're not tense, then it's less likely the officer will feel a need to become tense either.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    The reason I give notice could have a lot to do with my home jurisdiction, Baltimore.

Due to the nature of the animal, in Baltimore the first Officer to take notice of a Weapon Shouts "GUN" which will result in other Officers on the scene coming to a Point Ready Position.

Walk into any Station House in Baltimore and you would note the Brass RIP Plaques lining the Walls. In places like Baltimore where hesitation is synonymous with Death the last thing you want to occur is leading an Officer to believe you are hiding a Firearm from him.

Living and working in that kind of environment you may begin to see why I have been Hard Wired into identifying myself from the onset, perhaps not. I do believe by the very nature of the Beast, Baltimore, Right or Wrong will be a very tough sell for General issue of Concealed Carry Permits.
    Ed
    I know this is an older thread but it points out exactly the problem with Concealed Carry, you ARE hiding a weapon, which you are required to do in Maryland at this time to carry a Handgun. I don't fear for my life when an Officer walks into a store just because I see him with a pistol on his hip, why should they, or anyone else be scared when they see someone else carrying a gun? Unless the person is acting in a threatening manner they are just, well perhaps not truly just, like anyone else in that store or walking down the street. Are you required to announce to an Officer you are carrying when you speak to them when they approach you here in Maryland mostly I guess I am asking but in other states that allow CC as well?

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    I heard somone mention to roll down all of your windows even if it's cold. puts an officer at ease to be able to see into a car..

bigangrysob

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2013
    Cow County
    Minuteman... i agree. Y if i have nothing to hide, would i refuse to give an officer what he asks for? I dunno. I'm just retarded i guess

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Thanks for the great read. If MSI someday prevails, I wonder how long it will take the MSP to adjust their attitudes toward lawfully carrying citizens. Unfortunately, I'll likely be living in another state by then, most likely in the state of rigor mortis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom