Need some help with DC gun laws and gun laws in general!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Does DC have any laws regarding reloading your own brass?

Apologies for throwing all these questions your way Novus, I'm out of country right now so this is a big help for me.
    Yes, DC does have laws about possession of ammunition components and it is the same as having loaded ammunition and is illegal to possess unless you have a firearm registered in that caliber.
    So if you have a gun registered in .223, then you can own the powder, bullets, brass and reload.

And no need to apologize, I like keeping sharp on DC gun laws and the practice is good.

Heebs

Nov 12, 2008
    What if I picked up a 1911 and also bought a .22 conversion kit at a later date. Because I registered a 1911 in .45 caliber would it be illegal to own .22 rounds for the conversion kit even though the conversion kit is not considered a firearm? And would I need to register the .22 conversion kit when I picked it up?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What if I picked up a 1911 and also bought a .22 conversion kit at a later date. Because I registered a 1911 in .45 caliber would it be illegal to own .22 rounds for the conversion kit even though the conversion kit is not considered a firearm? And would I need to register the .22 conversion kit when I picked it up?
    That is a question not yet asked, but I have a feeling I can guess the answer.

The .22 conversion kit is just a part and not a "firearm" so therefore it cannot be registered, BUT, I think the handgun has to be registered in a certain caliber and I assume that if it fires more than one caliber, then to possess the ammunition for it legally you need to have it ballistic tested in the other caliber too and the caliber put on the registration certificate.

Now I have to do some reading, but I have a sneaking suspicion there is no requirement to have the gun retested if you replace the barrel, so if you have another firearm registered that shoots .22 LR, then you can possess the ammo legally and maybe be able to fire it out of the pistol with the conversion kit without it being re-registered int he additional caliber and retested.

Now here is what I am pretty sure of. Even if you could not put the conversion kit on it in DC, I am positive you can own the kit and I know you can drive to VA or MD and put it on, buy the ammo and use it there as long as you changed it back before returning and did not bring any ammo back unless you have a firearm registered in that caliber. (this is assuming I am wrong on the previous).

If I remember, I will try to ask these questions by Monday.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Novus, you should compile all of your "for sure" answers into a Word file that we can distribute to DC gun owners with questions. Of course with the usual "not legal advice" disclaimer. At least you could reproduce what has been told to you directly from the DC officials. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of people with questions (including my sister and bro-in-law who live in the district, and SO want to be armed).

That is the least that we here at DCShooters.com could do. ;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Not yet.
    The law may change drastically again in December or January. From what I understand the current law is just another emergency legislation that only lasts 90 days. I think they still have yet to pass the permanent law and then it goes to Congress for approval before it actually becomes permanent law.
    Whatever work I did might have to be completely altered.....again.

I can however answer basic questions how the law stands and is understood now.
    I wish I had a copy of their regulations too (I don't think it is online) to study. I think they change their regulations book often too though.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    By the way Don, I know that currently they can go the antique handgun route if they want a gun now to tide them over untill they can get a real handgun.

There are three types of antiques route they can go. They can buy in MD or VA without having to go through an FFL a handgun made before 1899 that shoots modern cartridge ammo and take it back to DC to register.
    They can buy a modern made cap and ball revolver in MD without going through an FFL and take it back to DC for registration.
    They can buy a cap and ball revolver in MD or VA without going through any FFL and buy a cartridge conversion cylinder and take it back to DC for registration.

They could have a handgun in DC tomorrow if they wanted, but they could not possess the ammo for it in DC until they finish the registration process that will take a few weeks.
    You know what sadly ironic about this? Your sister might be able to buy a gun and have it registered in DC sooner than some people can pick up theirs in MD due to the MD seven day wait misunderstanding.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    By the way Don, I know that currently they can go the antique handgun route if they want a gun now to tide them over untill they can get a real handgun.

There are three types of antiques route they can go. They can buy in MD or VA without having to go through an FFL a handgun made before 1899 that shoots modern cartridge ammo and take it back to DC to register.
    They can buy a modern made cap and ball revolver in MD without going through an FFL and take it back to DC for registration.
    They can buy a cap and ball revolver in MD or VA without going through any FFL and buy a cartridge conversion cylinder and take it back to DC for registration.

They could have a handgun in DC tomorrow if they wanted, but they could not possess the ammo for it in DC until they finish the registration process that will take a few weeks.
    You know what sadly ironic about this? Your sister might be able to buy a gun and have it registered in DC sooner than some people can pick up theirs in MD due to the MD seven day wait misunderstanding.

I think the lack of interest in antique weapons is genetic, because they have already said that they are not interested in going that route. What they want is an M&P45 (10 rnd mag), and if possible, and AR-15. Is there any way right now that such a purchase would be possible?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think the lack of interest in antique weapons is genetic, because they have already said that they are not interested in going that route. What they want is an M&P45 (10 rnd mag), and if possible, and AR-15. Is there any way right now that such a purchase would be possible?

Long guns can be purchased by DC residents in another state from an FFL of that state, but they currently have to start the registration process before buying from an out of state FFL. They need a registration certificate or some kind of pre-approval and then they buy it.
    I was confused by the sergeant's last reply though and it is possible purchasing from an out of state FFL may be a different process, but in any case we know they can buy one without having to go through the sole DC FFL. The AR15 is very possible.

THe pistol is a problem. The sole DC FFL might not do it and if he does I think his transfer fee is over a hundred dollars.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Long guns can be purchased by DC residents in another state from an FFL of that state, but they currently have to start the registration process before buying from an out of state FFL. They need a registration certificate or some kind of pre-approval and then they buy it.
    I was confused by the sergeant's last reply though and it is possible purchasing from an out of state FFL may be a different process, but in any case we know they can buy one without having to go through the sole DC FFL. The AR15 is very possible.

THe pistol is a problem. The sole DC FFL might not do it and if he does I think his transfer fee is over a hundred dollars.

If they could pull off an AR they would be psyched. I'd love to know if that is possible. It would be a glorious day if I could take them AR shopping in VA.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    By the way, what is wrong with antiques? :D

Lemat25targ.JPG

Heebs

Nov 12, 2008
    So it is actually easier to get a AR15 into the district than it is to get a pistol into the district?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If they could pull off an AR they would be psyched. I'd love to know if that is possible. It would be a glorious day if I could take them AR shopping in VA.
    Yes, it is possible and legal. An AR 15 of any kind with an overall length of 26" with the collapsible stock at it's shortest is treated the same as a single shot shotgun in DC. Two months ago it was considered illegal by the MPD under the other law, but now they will register them.
    Tell them to do it before they change the law again, you never know they might add an AW ban into the new version.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I just got off the phone with my sister. She wants to go shopping. Now we just need the details on what exactly is required to get an AR into DC.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I just got off the phone with my sister. She wants to go shopping. Now we just need the details on what exactly is required to get an AR into DC.

She needs to speak to Sgt Hall at the MPD first to get specific details and to pick up any forms or applications. If she is going to the Dulles gun show, then make sure she gets as much as possible done on Monday if possible so she might be able to walk out of the show as a proud new owner of an AR15 in two weeks.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Why is this the case? You cant buy handguns outside of DC and then bring them in?

No, and that is because of federal law. The resident of any state (or district) cannot buy a handgun outside of their state and take possesiion of it. They have to have it shipped to an FFL in their state (District) for the actual transfer.
    This generally does not apply to long guns. As long as the long gun purchase/ownership is legal in the state (District) where someone resides and the purchase is legal in the state the purchase is made, anyone can buy from an FFL that is not in their own state.

For instance, an unlicensed VA resident cannot buy a handgun in Pennsylvania and take possession of it (transfered), but the VA resident can buy a long gun in PA from an FFL (dealer) and bring it home.

You can however buy an "antique" handgun in MD or VA and bring it to DC without going through an FFL at all. The reason why is because "antiques" are excluded from that particular law and are not regulated.

By the way, there is another exception. Do you have a dual residency in another state? I mean, do you have a place you reside in in Virginia for instance.

Heebs

Nov 12, 2008
    Dual residency...

I wonder if I could use my in-laws place. My wife is still a resident at that address.

Edit: It is a VA address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom