• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks Matt. Another question: Is it ok to have the Collector's permit AND an FFL? At some point in the next year or so I intend to get my own FFL, but getting a home based FFL takes a bit more work. I'm on my way, but I'm not there just yet.

It is not a colector's permit, it is a designated collector status. In other words the MDSP just recognizes you as a bona fide collector in their record books.

To answer your question though, yes, it is possible to be designated as a collector and have an FFL. However! If you have just about any FFL type besides a C&R FFL, you are exempt from the majority of the regulated firearms restrictions anyway.
    If you have a C&R FFL (also called a type 03 FFL or a Curio and Relic FFL), then you still have to do the seven day wait and the background check for regulated firearms bought within this state and you are not exempted from the one in 30 days purchase restriction like other types of FFLs would be, so it is a good idea to get both teh C&R FFL and the collector's designation.

As far as the difficulty of getting a C&R FFL, it is very easy and requires just a form and a $30 fee. The dealer, importer or manufacturing FFLs are a lot more involved and have certain requirements the C&R FFL does not have to deal with.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    exempt from the majority of the regulated firearms restrictions anyway.
    If you have a C&R FFL (also called a type 03 FFL or a Curio and Relic FFL), then you still have to do the seven day wait and the background check for regulated firearms bought within this state and you are not exempted from the one in 30 days purchase restriction like other types of FFLs would be, so it is a good idea to get both teh C&R FFL and the collector's designation.

As far as the difficulty of getting a C&R FFL, it is very easy and requires just a form and a $30 fee. The dealer, importer or manufacturing FFLs are a lot more involved and have certain requirements the C&R FFL does not have to deal with.

I've been considering this for several weeks now and didn't realize its easy. Do you know the website for the application etc.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My one and only concern with getting my FFL is that from my understanding, I have to log all of my firearms - including guns that are my personal possessions and came down through generations of inheritance to me. I just don't want any of my guns not currently on the books to be listed anywhere the government can see them. Otherwise, a dealer FFL seems like it would give you just about every advantage with very few drawbacks.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    My one and only concern with getting my FFL is that from my understanding, I have to log all of my firearms - including guns that are my personal possessions and came down through generations of inheritance to me. I just don't want any of my guns not currently on the books to be listed anywhere the government can see them. Otherwise, a dealer FFL seems like it would give you just about every advantage with very few drawbacks.
    The ATF used to make dealers and collectors do that as I understand it, but someone sued or something or there was a court case and they won. I have to find it again, but I remember seeing on the ATF websight where you do not have to record your collection you had before you got your FFL.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The ATF used to make dealers and collectors do that as I understand it, but someone sued or something or there was a court case and they won. I have to find it again, but I remember seeing on the ATF websight where you do not have to record your collection you had before you got your FFL.

Found it:
    There is no obligation to record the
    acquisition of personal firearms that the
    dealer obtained prior to receiving his or her
    license, as long as he or she does not intend
    to sell such firearms. For example, an
    individual proprietor may deal in firearms
    from his or her licensed premises; he or she
    may also possess in his or her home a
    personal hunting weapon that he or she
    purchased long before becoming a dealer,
    and which he or she has no intention to sell.
    Under those circumstances, the dealer was
    not required to record the acquisition of the
    personal firearm when he or she
    commenced his or her firearms business.
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/0306fflnewsletter.pdf

This only applies if you did not intend to sell the firearms with your license you owned prior to getting your license and your personal collection must be kept seperate from your business inventory if you are an 01 (dealer) FFL.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Found it:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/0306fflnewsletter.pdf

This only applies if you did not intend to sell the firearms with your license you owned prior to getting your license and your personal collection must be kept seperate from your business inventory if you are an 01 (dealer) FFL.
    That's interesting. On one hand, I don't intend to ever sell any of the guns that I inherited - those are what I am most concerned about. On the other hand, I have a rare Winchester that if I was ever in a big pinch financially, could do well toward bailing me out - yes I inherited it, but when you are talking a rifle that is worth $30K+....see what I mean?

In regard to keeping things separate from your business inventory, does that mean that I would have to purchase another safe specifically for the business? Ugh - I paid $2500 for this one and it would be a shame if I couldn't set aside a portion of that space for business related items.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That's interesting. On one hand, I don't intend to ever sell any of the guns that I inherited - those are what I am most concerned about. On the other hand, I have a rare Winchester that if I was ever in a big pinch financially, could do well toward bailing me out - yes I inherited it, but when you are talking a rifle that is worth $30K+....see what I mean?

In regard to keeping things separate from your business inventory, does that mean that I would have to purchase another safe specifically for the business? Ugh - I paid $2500 for this one and it would be a shame if I couldn't set aside a portion of that space for business related items.

As I understand it, the safe storage requirement for a buisiness FFL is vague and may not require a safe per se. As long as they are secured I think it qualifies.

As far as your inherited rifle, if you sell it from your personal collection that you owned before the license and that you keep seperate, then I do not think you have to log it in your bound book if you are an 01 FFL (dealer). However, if you sell it through your business using your FFL to do it, then I think you have to log it into your bound book as an acquisition from your personal collection and then out as a disposition when it is sold.

In other words, you might not have to record the sale in the bound book for the ATF (but because of banking laws a sale of an item over $10,000 in value might have to be reported to the SEC?).

Now if it is a curio and relic and you only have an 03 FFL (C&R), then as I understand it even if you owned the rifle before you had the FFL, then if you sell it while you have the FFL you have to put it in the bound book as an Acquisition/Disposition (A?/D), but that is the only time you would have to and if you just owned it prior to getting the license then no recording in the bound book.
    Also, the bound book is only for C&R guns, so if it was not a C&R and you sold it while you had the 03 FFL (C&R), then you would not have to bother with the book.

NittanyLion

Jul 15, 2008
    Rockville
    Quick question. I just bought a Remington 870 and want to pickup a handgun fairly quickly. The shotgun isn't regulated, so it shouldn't count against the 1 in 30 rule correct? And plus I bought the Remington out of state so WTF would MD know anyways? :innocent0

Just double checking...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Quick question. I just bought a Remington 870 and want to pickup a handgun fairly quickly. The shotgun isn't regulated, so it shouldn't count against the 1 in 30 rule correct? And plus I bought the Remington out of state so WTF would MD know anyways? :innocent0

Just double checking...
    I believe you are correct. The one in thirty days only applies to regulated firearms. You are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom