• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I stewed and stewed about this while stashing away some cash for something as my first .308, and finally realized you were right. So it's an AR-10. Cheaper than many other choices, which allowed me to put good optics on it (and buy a hundred pounds of ammo to warm it up and dial it in). No regrets.

Following some future windfall? Sure, a SCAR-17 and/or other goodies. But I know that the AR-15 muscle memory will make the AR-10 just work. And it sure shoots better than I can operate it, so that's the end of that.

Take a look at the POF Revolution DI in the video below.

https://youtu.be/Mwl-AWev1GM

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Love my M1A, it's beautiful, accurate, and capable, but most any decent DPMS pattern AR10 will blow it out of the water, my Aero M5 smokes it when actually shooting, and for less money. AR10s have most of the benefits of their little brother's ergonomics, and ease of building, DPMS/SR25 is quickly becoming standard-ish. Optic mounting is simple, running it is easy, caring for it is easy, and you have plentiful parts and options.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Love my M1A, it's beautiful, accurate, and capable, but most any decent DPMS pattern AR10 will blow it out of the water, my Aero M5 smokes it when actually shooting, and for less money. AR10s have most of the benefits of their little brother's ergonomics, and ease of building, DPMS/SR25 is quickly becoming standard-ish. Optic mounting is simple, running it is easy, caring for it is easy, and you have plentiful parts and options.

Hey! Stop raining on my Tavor 7 parade!

I don't think an AR10 with 16" barrel and folding stock is going to be shorter than a Tavor 7 for discreetly transporting.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Don't forget, you can make any banned rifle into a "pistol" or SBR. Yes, $200 more, but a FAL with a 15.9" barrel is just fine.

I wouldn't want to shoot that.....ouch!

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Get an DPMS pattern LR308 in 308 win, basically an AR10 . 20” 1-11 twist barrel will take you out to 1,000 yds. Then get either a 22” 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor upper for real long range work. The base 308 is good for just about any thing. And 308 surplus AMMO is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The 20” DT mdrx.
    In 308 or 6.5creed

Attachments

• 99FA0FAF-7212-4057-8109-CF4D12A40C8A.jpg
      99FA0FAF-7212-4057-8109-CF4D12A40C8A.jpg
      158.3 KB · Views: 633

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - let's get real here. THIS is a great rifle for self defense! An AR is good. This is better. 308 Win. baby. AR Pistol? Meh! This collapses to a compact package. It's over before it started. This eats ANY 308/7.62 NATO ammo!!

HOWEVER - these are banned in Maryland unless you happen to have got one in 2013. :cool:

Attachments

• rifle-308-ptr91.jpg
      rifle-308-ptr91.jpg
      159.4 KB · Views: 573

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    As for the OP, I'd look at an AR-10.

I do like the Garand, and I'd like to try an FAL. Realistically, all the older platforms are out of support. You're relying on dwingling stocks of most parts. Even finding fresh magazines can be a hassle. Magpul makes mags for the AR-10, and all the other parts are easy enough to find.

If you're really broke, an SKS will work. I'd stock up on stripper clips and whatever small parts might break. (Springs, firing pin, etc.)

DSA is making new FALs and all new parts for them. They started out rough, but they are using the original FN tooling and drawings. They get bashed by the purists, but South Africa, Israel, Mexico, and even the Chicago Police have contracted them for new rifles. I've gotten Compliant Parts from them. Magazines are common.
    Everything M1a/M14 is available too. New Bolts, oprods, and mags are available from companies that supplied US Gov. Smith Enterprises may not be the prettiest, but they built entire semi auto M-14s for Gov contracts.
    Neither can be had in Maryland in 308 or 7.62. 6.5 can be.
    They may not be the best option for everyone though. But that is true of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom