• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    So to start off, I live in Virginia now and moving to Maryland next month (wife is in the military). I am aware about registering my handguns within 90 days. I am also aware about the AR15 laws so sadly I got rid of them.

I am so confused about the gun roster thing. Can someone please enlighten me with this.

I currently own ATI Firepower Extreme 45ACP Military 1911 and Rock Island Ultra MS 45ACP. Both purchased in Virginia, Also purchased 2019 and 2020 if that matters.

My question is can I take them with me when I move down to Maryland? I dont see them in the Maryland Roster thats why Im so confused.

Thank you for any answers in advance!

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Handgun roster is only for purchasing, not owning so you are fine. If you owned the AR's prior to 10/01/2013 they are fine to bring in. If purchased after that they would have to have a heavy barrel if .223/5.56

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Welcome to Maryland and you have my sincere sympathies at the same time...not that Virginia is any better now. Maryland has been bad for many years to a gun owner...and Virginia has just said "Hold my beer!"

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    You could have put HBAR uppers on the ARs and sold or stored the previous ones elsewhere.

Welcome... its a confusing mess here, but you'll figure it out eventually.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Since his wife is active duty on orders, isn't there something about her permanent state of residence that may come into play? I don't know if/how that affects non-military spouses.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since his wife is active duty on orders, isn't there something about her permanent state of residence that may come into play? I don't know if/how that affects non-military spouses.

Pretty sure it doesn’t cover spouses if his residence changes and they are his guns. But if the ARs were post 2013, no go. Orders or no orders, those guns can’t come in unless they are owned by an FFL, Police officer or the government (or HBAR/non-.223/5.56)

evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    Were driving there, just wanna make sure I can legally own them there. I hear some people say dont register them some said register them. If I have to get rid of them I will but preffer to keep atleast 2 hand guns.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Welcome. Just one question.....sure she can’t commute? Virginia is still in “Free America”. And are you sure they’re not her guns?
    Yeah, which Post and are you limited to base housing? Pax River is close to VA. Dietrich is close to PA and not to awful far to WV and VA. Aberdeen is close to PA and DE.

The only ones that are miserable to commute out of state are Meade and Annapolis. Though I'm retired from Meade and worked with lots of people who commuted from out of state. But, your wife probably has limits on how far she can be from her post.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So to start off, I live in Virginia now and moving to Maryland next month (wife is in the military). I am aware about registering my handguns within 90 days. I am also aware about the AR15 laws so sadly I got rid of them.

I am so confused about the gun roster thing. Can someone please enlighten me with this.

I currently own ATI Firepower Extreme 45ACP Military 1911 and Rock Island Ultra MS 45ACP. Both purchased in Virginia, Also purchased 2019 and 2020 if that matters.

My question is can I take them with me when I move down to Maryland? I dont see them in the Maryland Roster thats why Im so confused.

Thank you for any answers in advance!

You poor bastard. Life has dealt you a cruel hand and with any luck you can cash out your chips and leave at first chance.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Welcome to Maryland. But we also feel very sympathetic to hear about your situation. I personally cannot wait to leave the state!

Cal68

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah, which Post and are you limited to base housing? Pax River is close to VA. Dietrich is close to PA and not to awful far to WV and VA. Aberdeen is close to PA and DE.

The only ones that are miserable to commute out of state are Meade and Annapolis. Though I'm retired from Meade and worked with lots of people who commuted from out of state. But, your wife probably has limits on how far she can be from her post.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Yep, doable for some. My last 4 years were stationed at Ft. Myers but I bought my house in Myersville Md. commuted down 70-270-beltway. That was 90-94. Marylinistan was much more “friendly” then.

Good luck and don’t make a snap decision.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think that immediate family are also covered and do not need to become residents.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    On the question of active duty moving on orders and whether spouses may also maintain the same permanent state of residence (not needing to become residents of the state moved to), we have two conflicting responses:

Pretty sure it doesn’t cover spouses if his residence changes and they are his guns. But if the ARs were post 2013, no go. Orders or no orders, those guns can’t come in unless they are owned by an FFL, Police officer or the government (or HBAR/non-.223/5.56)

I think that immediate family are also covered and do not need to become residents.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    7PhN4ue.jpg

Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver