• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Looking at taking the plunge into the NFA pool with a 9mm suppressor. I've done a fair amount of research, but it's all a lot to digest. Looking for opinions from the experienced guys here.

The can would go on a glock and a full size sig. I'd also want it to go on an AR 9mm pistol I'm building.

I'm leaning heavily toward the SiCo Omega. Is this a good option? Should I be looking elsewhere?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have no experience with the Omega. I have a Gemtech Multimount and an Octane 9. I really like the Octane 9 over the Multimount, for what it’s worth.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I was looking at the 9k, as the 36m looks like it's more suited for rifles. Is that an accurate statement?

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Sure, but I'll cross that road when I get to it. For now I'm looking for a suppressor that fits the requirements mentioned above. The 9k would work on the PCC and the handguns, whereas 36m wouldn't do well on the handguns...right?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Be mindful with swapping 9mm cans to an AR. Pistols are 1/2x28 thread and most 9mm AR's are 1/2x36, so you will need a direct thread adaptor. Don't use the piston on the rifle. My octane is dedicated to the AR.
    Ruger PCC's are 1/2x28.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Yeah, I've got that all worked out. The pistol hosts I plan on using are all 1/2x28. I'm trying to figure out if I can get a QD adaptor for use on the PCC.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Right now, I'd be looking at a CGS Mod 9. I've heard good things about the Obsidian 9 and Gemtech Lunar 9, too.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yeah, I've got that all worked out. The pistol hosts I plan on using are all 1/2x28. I'm trying to figure out if I can get a QD adaptor for use on the PCC.

Either way, you will still be removing the piston and installing the QD adaptor that attaches to the mount. That's why a lot of folks have dedicated cans.
    Look on SiCo's website. They have a ton of different mounts available. But most are made for rifle cans. Silencer Shop is a good resource too.
    BTW, cans get HOT as hell. If you plan on switching during a range session, bring an oven mitt or something.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Whats the general opinion on Dead Air? I had never heard of em until recently.Their Wolf 9SD looks like it tiks all the boxes I''m looking at right now.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Dead air and Rugged (Obsidians,etc) are top tier cans. A friend has a the Wolf and loves it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Omega 36m will work as well as or better than most of the other cans the OP is discussing. Most of what OP has asked about falls into the PCC/subgun suppressor category. Not anything wrong with that but it won't be ideal for actual handguns. Example: I have a Dead Air Wolfman (the successor to the Wolf 9SD) pending, but no plans to put it on a handgun. If I do it'll be going on my G34 that has a red dot on it so I can see over the can. Because it is a fat boy.

Personally if I had to start over again I would probably still go with a jack of all trades can first. Griffin Optimus, Bushwhacker, Rex Silentium MG7 or ModX series, Liberty MysticX/Cosmic, Omega 36m, etc. Though I am up to about 13 cans at this point so I'm not sure why I'm worried about modularity or versatility. Yet I still love the Griffin Optimus and would buy a Bushwhacker if I thought I would use it. However, if I were buying a pistol only can right now I would probably go with a Griffin, Rugged, or CGS can. Probably CGS to get something as light as possible.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Not sure of your use case but many get a .45 can as that will let you do 9mm as well as most anything else .45 and smaller. Most .45's are quieter with 9mm through them than the comaparable 9mm version as the .45 usually has a bit more volume in it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Omega 36m will work as well as or better than most of the other cans the OP is discussing. Most of what OP has asked about falls into the PCC/subgun suppressor category. Not anything wrong with that but it won't be ideal for actual handguns. Example: I have a Dead Air Wolfman (the successor to the Wolf 9SD) pending, but no plans to put it on a handgun. If I do it'll be going on my G34 that has a red dot on it so I can see over the can. Because it is a fat boy.

Personally if I had to start over again I would probably still go with a jack of all trades can first. Griffin Optimus, Bushwhacker, Rex Silentium MG7 or ModX series, Liberty MysticX/Cosmic, Omega 36m, etc. Though I am up to about 13 cans at this point so I'm not sure why I'm worried about modularity or versatility. Yet I still love the Griffin Optimus and would buy a Bushwhacker if I thought I would use it. However, if I were buying a pistol only can right now I would probably go with a Griffin, Rugged, or CGS can. Probably CGS to get something as light as possible.

^This.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Griffin Optimus really is a fantastic can, and current prices are great for everything included in the kit. That and the Liberty Cosmic work well enough that it's going to take some kind of game changer to convince me to get another traditional Pistol can.

Though I do have a Gemtech Aurora II pending for my SigP365 + Griffin Armament threaded barrel. For CCW LARPing purposes.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    Not sure of your use case but many get a .45 can as that will let you do 9mm as well as most anything else .45 and smaller. Most .45's are quieter with 9mm through them than the comaparable 9mm version as the .45 usually has a bit more volume in it.

Totally agree

tdmne

Apr 28, 2020
    I have the Obsidian 45. If I was purchasing a pistol can again I would probably go with the DeadAir Wolfman or Obsidian 9.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You could always do a form 1 build if you don't feel like waiting.

If I had to get a can for a dedicated PCC that wouldn't go on a pistol, it probably would be the CMMG Defcan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom