• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Paul Harrell is great, I will have to watch that one tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    I was totally expecting him to accidentally shoot the chronometer.

I mean, c’mon.... it’s a Mini 14

:lol2:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I know that both will ring steel consistently @ 100 yds offhand, but the AR holds a 4" group while the mini 14 is 12"

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I was trying to go to bed last night and you had to post this damn link. An hour or so later I went to bed. :P. Great video. Thanks. I like his deadpan funny comments. Very interesting.

Oh, and then one of the subsequent vids after was with Hickok45 and a dude who brought three pistols for him to shoot. One was a tiny Spanish derringer looking thing. It was a 25acp 5 round semi. Hickok’s finger was longer than the barrel and he could about wrap his first finger joint across the barrel. I had no idea he was 6’8”. Damn

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I was trying to go to bed last night and you had to post this damn link. An hour or so later I went to bed. :P. Great video. Thanks. I like his deadpan funny comments. Very interesting.

Oh, and then one of the subsequent vids after was with Hickok45 and a dude who brought three pistols for him to shoot. One was a tiny Spanish derringer looking thing. It was a 25acp 5 round semi. Hickok’s finger was longer than the barrel and he could about wrap his first finger joint across the barrel. I had no idea he was 6’8”. Damn

I saw that Hickok video. It never occurred to me that he could be that tall. John must be tall, too. (That little 25cal pea shooter...hahahaha)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was interested in Paul's comments about Ruger; he seems to think that the Mini 14 is not inaccurate due to its design, but due to inconsistencies in manufacturing. Everyone seems to agree that the Mini 14 is not cost effective compared to an AR. I do think the Mini is a great looking rifle, esp. if you like the more traditional wood and blue steel. And the Mini 14 is a safe bet in Maryland; I don't see them banning a Mini 14 any time soon.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I enjoyed the video thus far. After the accuracy test he talked about chambers.

The Mini is listed as a. 223 on the barrel but it actually has a 5.56 chamber. They have a 5.56 throat length/taper AND 5.56 headspace.

The opposite is often true about the AR. Many are often listed as 5.56 but actually have a .223 throat length/taper AND headspace. If that gun is a Colt it's likely a true 5.56.

O have verified this with gauges, not guesswork.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Just a few years ago I purchased two Mini-14 Ranch rifles from the same store, at the same time. Their serial numbers are close to each other. Both the wood stock nothing special blued Ranch Rifle. What was a bit odd, one was marked 5.56 and the other .223. I checked with Ruger, and told the .223 marked rifle would safely chamber the 5.56 round. Always curious the different markings. Read that some Mini's are marked .223 for sales in countries that ban military chamberings

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for posting... good video.

I have both platforms and enjoy them both, but for me, the current market has made the argument completely moot. Back when you could get a Mini-14 for several hundred dollars less than an average AR, you could debate the issue... ARs have since flooded the market and now that an entry AR is approaching half the price of used Mini-14, it is much harder to justify the Ruger.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I learned that the rear sight short and long apertures had a purpose other than field of view This was probably obvious to you all, I'll need to check mine out... Will I see the difference with the co-witnessed red dot, hmm?

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Surprised no one has posted this yet;
    k1Vq6ti.png

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One minor thing.

When the Mini 14 came out (I own a 200th year one made in 1976), Bill Ruger would not allow sales of higher than 5 round mags to the public. They did not stop making them, the would only sell to LEO. They made 20s first, then later added the 30s

Some factory 20 round mags did make it into the public, and high prices (for the time). Later, the company started selling factory 20 and 30 round mags to the public.

My experience with aftermarket mags is similar to his. I have a number of them, from different manufacturers, and they all worked fine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have owned a couple over the years, they are a lot of fun, and capable with 20-30rd mags and a 1-4X scope, can also shrink down relatively small with a folding stock. Problem is between overgassing, and a really heavy reciprocating slide/op-rod and thin barrel there is a ton of barrel whip and "slap" in recoil, brass gets LAUNCHED across the range. The mini 30 was a good idea, but sad that it couldn't outshoot an AK, and the proprietary mags were hard to find. I could never get mine in either caliber to group all that well, although both were pre-'07 models. Went to ARs, and never went back, although could be fun to have a tiny folding braced mini 14/30 "pistol" if it was decently reliable and accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom