Do I have to have suppressor paperwork in my possession when I use it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    A couple of years ago I jumped through the hoops, waited, and took possession of a suppressor for a .22 pistol. I've used it a few times, but not recently, so I'm ready to take it out again. Question: Do I have to have my paperwork with me when I take it to the range?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    IANAL, but I have copies of the original ATF forms and keep them in my range bag. A sheet of paper folded up doesn't take up much space.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    From what I remember, it's not a requirement. But, I do keep copies with me when I have them out at the range.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    Suppressor paperwork

I have multiple suppressors and unless the range you are shooting at has police authority such as arrest powers, then it is none of their business. I had to go through the ATF background checks and an approval with the tax stamps, so my possession is legal. If I was doing something against the range rules, then I might have to not use it, but they cannot ask to see my tax stamp paperwork.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    First IANAL, but, I believe you are only legally required to show it an ATF agent. I have never had to show a F4 to anyone. When I got my first suppressor and went to an indoor range, I told them I would be using it and did they need to see my F4. The guy said nope, you only need to show that to the ATF.
    That said, I keep electronic copies on my phone with me incase I am ever asked. I would show LE without hesitation just because I don't want the headache that may arise if I don't. I either have a hard or soft copy whenever I have a class 3 in my possession.
    I would definitely have hard copies for MG's, SBR's, DD's etc readily available for LE.
    Some ranges may want to see documentation for class 3 items. Its their house, their rules. You can always take your business elsewhere.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    A good thread came up on this not long ago. Someone posted the actual language of the law and it stated that you're "required to provide your tax info". Something like that. Basically you need to have the paperwork but not on you at the time of using your NFA toy. I paraphrased that horribly.
    Basically, you don't need the paperwork on you or with you. But if asked for it by ATF, you can go home and show it to them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A good thread came up on this not long ago. Someone posted the actual language of the law and it stated that you're "required to provide your tax info". Something like that. Basically you need to have the paperwork but not on you at the time of using your NFA toy. I paraphrased that horribly.
    Basically, you don't need the paperwork on you or with you. But if asked for it by ATF, you can go home and show it to them.
    That's how I understand it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Have to? Perhaps not. Do you (OP)want to risk being ask to leave a range or have shooting time interrupted, questioned ad nauseam or arguing about it, having to defend it? Up to you.

It's a piece of paper. You decide what's best/smart vs what's legal

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Have to? Perhaps not. Do you (OP)want to risk being ask to leave a range or have shooting time interrupted, questioned ad nauseam or arguing about it, having to defend it? Up to you.

It's a piece of paper. You decide what's best/smart vs what's legal

Agreed. I knew mine with me. I won't show to to anyone unless they're ATF. Nobody else can ask for it. But I'd rather have just in case "that guy" shows up.

I figure, the sooner I can show the ATF agent my papers, the least likely he is to shoot my dog or burn down my house with my family inside.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

That is correct. The language of the actual statute says that you must retain proof of registration (i.e. a Form 1 or Form 4) and provide that proof to "the secretary" (at the time, the Secretary of the Treasury, now the Secretary of HS) upon request. It does NOT specify a time frame within which you have to provide that proof. Some other states have laws stating that you have to have that proof with you all the time, but Maryland does not.

Yes actually, I do. I don't want to normalize or contribute to the idea that NFA items are somehow so special or so dangerous or so quasi-illegal that we have to carry special papers around with them all the time. If someone on staff at a given range wants to question me on my NFA stuff, I'll have a polite conversation with them and explain that while they are legally owned, I don't carry the paperwork with me because I am not required to do so. After that, if they want me to leave, I will leave. I've never been questioned by anyone, though.

I'm quite willing to have that conversation (it need not be an argument) in order to help other people understand that there's nothing special or extra dangerous about NFA stuff, and that we are NOT required to carry paperwork. There's enough FUD surrounding the NFA as it is, and I don't want to contribute to it.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I keep a digital copy of my trust and stamps on my phone and on my Google drive. Good as a general back up and handy if I need them while out and about. That includes copies of my approved transportation 5320.20 forms.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've never had to show a form 4 except for one time when I was doing an MG qual and the range had a policy on that particular event. I've noticed a lot of ranges purposefully don't ask because they don't want to get involved in the legality stuff, which seems fair. I've also never heard of cops waiting around at ranges looking to bust people on NFA stuff in MD or VA.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    on a related note, any issues with taking your can to another state? i'm told there are no forms, notices or permissions needed, is that right?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    on a related note, any issues with taking your can to another state? i'm told there are no forms, notices or permissions needed, is that right?

AFAIK, no forms required.
    I believe 5320.20s are for SBR, SBS, MG, and DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom