What is the big deal about non HBAR being illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    You should assume the exception for HBAR is going away and plan your purchases accordingly. The time to get one is in the next few months. Once the politicians start talking about it - the prices will skyrocket and you'll be wishing you didn't buy one now.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's only a MSP burocrats signature away from banning every AR except for a couple Colt models, and if they can ban the most popular centerfire rifle in the country there isn't much they probably couldn't ban.

It is also the main area weight can be reduced from a rifle without going to poly recievers, it moves the balance rearward to make it swing faster, and can shed heat faster. Doesn't really affect accuracy as much as consistency, thinner barrels whip more, and string shots more with inconsistent ammo or long strings of fire.

Last edited:

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    My heavy barrelled AR weighs 14lb 2oz empty and will shoot a half inch group at 100 yards, bench rested, match grade ammunition and has never left blood in the streets, and likely never will.

Lew--Ranger63

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    My understanding is that the previous legislation made AR-15s regulated, but exempted HBARs. The MSP then interpreted this to mean copies.

This time, they are inflexible. Witness their response to the evil Bushmaster.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The HBAR is so substantially heavier than a standard pencil profile barrel that only someone of John Rambo's physique could carry one and create a rampage mass shooting. That being the case, politicians decided that being shot by such a person is much better than being pummeled to death.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I would like to take my original Bushmaster XM25-E and set it right next to a Windham HBC rifle and ask why one is legal and the other is not???

They were made in the same factory, using the same tools, probably by the same people. The only difference is a few years time and the rights to the name "Bushmaster".

The utter assploding idiocy of it astounds me.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The HBAR is so substantially heavier than a standard pencil profile barrel that only someone of John Rambo's physique could carry one and create a rampage mass shooting. That being the case, politicians decided that being shot by such a person is much better than being pummeled to death.

:lol:That's good :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While heavy barrels take longer to heat up, they also hold heat longer. Bet the salesman didn't mention that.

morechaching

Apr 7, 2013
    Same factory, same people, near tooling. The original Bushmaster tooling got relocated with the new ownership group.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    What is the big deal about non HBAR being illegal?

Other than weight, what is the real difference in the HBAR sold in stores now? 1 owner of a gun shop told me that the heavy barrel is more accurate and accepts heat better when firing faster. What is the truth? difference?

Maybe I missed something? OP my problem is with your supposition. What if Gubernut decided all of the sudden, with no intellectual basis, that anything larger than a SmartCar, or anything that looked like a vehicle larger than a SmartCar, was inherently dangerous to the community and banned it? Would you say what's the big deal about anything other than a SmartCar being illegal? Better yet, if Gubernut decided that it is dangerous to allow people to congregate and exercise their freedom of speech on any day other Sunday between 1 and 4 pm, would you ask what's wrong with having your 1st A right infringed at all times other than Sunday 1 to 4? You seem to have glossed over the infringement issue and gone right onto the "what's harm" question, when the infringement is the harm! :sad20:

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Maybe I missed something? OP my problem is with your supposition. What if Gubernut decided all of the sudden, with no intellectual basis, that anything larger than a SmartCar, or anything that looked like a vehicle larger than a SmartCar, was inherently dangerous to the community and banned it? Would you say what's the big deal about anything other than a SmartCar being illegal? Better yet, if Gubernut decided that it is dangerous to allow people to congregate and exercise their freedom of speech on any day other Sunday between 1 and 4 pm, would you ask what's wrong with having your 1st A right infringed at all times other than Sunday 1 to 4? You seem to have glossed over the infringement issue and gone right onto the "what's harm" question, when the infringement is the harm! :sad20:

My question was in regards to the physical difference between the guns for legal purpose, and understanding my best course of action of purchasing before all is lost. I do agree that "any" infringement on our 2nd Amendment rights is "still" an infringement.

All I can say is we as citizens allowed this to happen here in MD by not fighting hard enough to remove the Liberal Aholes running this state. I was working in the Govnr mansion when Omalley was moving in. He turned his liberal nose up at us as we were working there. I miss Bob Ehrlich.:sad20:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Okay fair enough. It sounded like you were saying what's the big deal that non-HBARS are banned because you can still get everything you want in an HBAR can't you? Probably two dimensional nature of text.

As for your question what is there in regards to the physical difference between the guns for legal purpose? Its just barrel diameter and shape, which should be irrelevant, but that didn't stop the misguided, ill-informed, feel good legislature.

I agree that the citizenry and voters allowed this to happen here in MD, but not by not fighting hard enough to remove the "Liberal Aholes" running this state, but rather by electing them in the first place, and then not fighting once most broke their Oaths of Office and violated the Constitution.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    From the NY injunction:

Further, three aspects of the law ... — must be stricken because they do not adequately inform an ordinary person as to what conduct is prohibited.

We need a similar ruling in MD, if only to make the anti's work more difficult

It all comes down to they don't have a clue about the laws they are making, over and over. Just imagine what the farmers and watermen are dealing with ... same legislators, same ignorance of the issues

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It also allows unlimited, sustained full automatic fire while keeping the barrel refreshingly cool to the touch.

...and smelling as fresh as a summer's eve.

Scratched onto a piece of slate and carried by specially trained prehistoric birds.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My take on SB 281 is OMalley striving to get his head as far up Obama's butt as he could for a presidential bid, maybe senatorial. Either way, it appears it may have backfired, especially after he got spanked in the debate with the Texan governor or senator, I forget which

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom