What is the big deal about non HBAR being illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Other than weight, what is the real difference in the HBAR sold in stores now? 1 owner of a gun shop told me that the heavy barrel is more accurate and accepts heat better when firing faster. What is the truth? difference?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    It is a big deal because all the variations should be legal. None of them are 'deadlier' than others nor should that be a factor in deciding what is legal anyway.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    So other than weight there is really no downside to the "HBAR configuration"?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So other than weight there is really no downside to the "HBAR configuration"?
    Correct.

The background is really quite simple: back when the regulated assault long gun list was first being drafted up, the Colt HBAR Sporter was the hot target shooting gun. In order to show that, hey, the GA wasn't against target shooting, they specifically excluded that rifle (and its copies).

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Thank you. The SB281 helps some but I had to read it a few times since the assault rifle jargon is new to me. I origionally thought that the law was also trying to prevent full auto conversions, etc.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    1 owner of a gun shop told me that the heavy barrel is more accurate and accepts heat better when firing faster. What is the truth? difference?

This

The truth is the politicians who forced that through are idiots.

And THIS X2

But yes, the HBAR was originally developed to better handle the heat from rapid, sustained fire from the basic M-16 platform. So the plain Jane Light barrel AR's are banned but the HBAR lives on.......

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Well, what are you going to do with an empty high capacity clip anyhow?:innocent0

I read that you can 2 or 3 reloadings out of some of them, but these should be range use only. I would never trust a reloaded assault clip for serious use. YMMV.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013

Attachments

• Colt 16 inch M4 profile barrel 6920 05.jpg
      Colt 16 inch M4 profile barrel 6920 05.jpg
      9.4 KB · Views: 1,185
    • colt 16 inch hbar 6721 02.jpg
      colt 16 inch hbar 6721 02.jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 1,167

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    Correct.

The background is really quite simple: back when the regulated assault long gun list was first being drafted up, the Colt HBAR Sporter was the hot target shooting gun. In order to show that, hey, the GA wasn't against target shooting, they specifically excluded that rifle (and its copies).

I have explained that to several people in the last week. Crazy, maybe a good sign, people are starting to wake up and ask questions, rather than just following.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom