• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dforeman

Aug 9, 2013
    I don't recall seeing any provision against it either. You can hunt geese, ducks, upland birds (except Turkey), rabbit, and Raccoon with a dog. So, I'm guessing squirrels would also fall within that realm. You are really only using the dog to retrieve anyway. The only provisions that I know of directly prohibiting the use of a dog is deer and turkey hunting in Maryland. Oooo, and of course you can't use a dog in the lottery only bear hunt either.

dforeman

Aug 9, 2013
    Well, that is true about treeing coons. I forgot about that being popular down on the lower shore. Squirrels are very agile at traveling across the trees tops most times though (depending on how far apart the trees are).

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Ok I understand. The Dog is not actually catching the Squirrel like a Schipperke catches rats and mice. I guess all the Squirrels I have ever shot are simply on the ground or giving themselves away in the tree tops. Never imagined needing anything but a walk in the woods to find a tree rat. That's interesting. I guess using a dog is for the guy who has 20 minutes to hunt. That's the only treason I can gather.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My neighbor had 2 of these Schippeke's and those were some bad ass fast little dogs. I mean they are like four-legged rockets. She told me that they were originally bred for use on ships to chase Mice and Rats to prevent disease to passengers. I know one of these little dogs would never let the Squirrel make it up a tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schipperke

668px-Schipperke_gismo_12.jpg

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Well, that is true about treeing coons. I forgot about that being popular down on the lower shore. Squirrels are very agile at traveling across the trees tops most times though (depending on how far apart the trees are).

a lot of folks in southern md used to coon hunt but now there are not as many. my neighbor uses some kind of little dog to squirrel hunt. its more about the running of the dogs and the sounds and sights than it is about just shooting squirrels. if it was about shooting squirrels we would all sit around the corn crib with bb guns and get them by the bushel full.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    My understanding about squirrel hunting with dogs is that the squirrels pay attention to the dog, and not the human, so when the dog goes by the tree they are in, they reveal themselves to the human for an easy shot.

Mar 26, 2016
    I’ve got a 16 month old Airedale that loves treeing squirrels in Loch Raven - figured I’d head down to one of the larger WMAs in Charles county one day this fall to see how he does on Rabbits - guess squirrels could be on the menu this fall :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom