• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I purchased a nice 1932 Springfield Armory 1903 for $800.

Attachments

• P1010010.jpg
      P1010010.jpg
      114.7 KB · Views: 357

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Two ways...it says so on the receiver and it has a slot milled in the left side of the receiver as an ejection port. There are a few internal parts different to work with the Pedersen Device but don't affect operation as a standard '03 using standard ammunition.
    Mark-I-receiver.jpg

On a Mark I there is also additional milling in the stock for clearance at the ejection port visible here.
    Mark-I-slot.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    OK, here's something to chew on. Looking at Mexican Bob's nice collection of 03's and esp. the MKI a thought came to me. We both own MkIs (I bought mine over 20 yrs ago and it cost me a pretty penny back then, something close to $800 in mid 90s coin) and I've never given thought to owning a rare Pederson Device as they're crazy expensive. Plus, unlike Mexican Bob, mine was arsenal reworked, removing the Pederson bits from the rifle. Last one I saw for sale was at the big MACA show over 10 yrs ago, priced at $35K.
    So, if someone came up with an accurate and quality reproduction of the Pederson Device bolt and other bits needed would you give it serious consideration and at what price would you walk away? Esp. interesting now that French 7.65 Longue brass is now available to work up a load that should work in it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    OK, here's something to chew on. Looking at Mexican Bob's nice collection of 03's and esp. the MKI a thought came to me. We both own MkIs (I bought mine over 20 yrs ago and it cost me a pretty penny back then, something close to $800 in mid 90s coin) and I've never given thought to owning a rare Pederson Device as they're crazy expensive. Plus, unlike Mexican Bob, mine was arsenal reworked, removing the Pederson bits from the rifle. Last one I saw for sale was at the big MACA show over 10 yrs ago, priced at $35K.
    So, if someone came up with an accurate and quality reproduction of the Pederson Device bolt and other bits needed would you give it serious consideration and at what price would you walk away? Esp. interesting now that French 7.65 Longue brass is now available to work up a load that should work in it.

I seen a guy that was making them as prop, but out of paper! I had no idea reproducing things from heavy paper was such a hobby.
    I mean everything from the Sistine Chapel to a Pederson device in minute detail.

But anyway, another person who was in to 3d printing was provided an example and then a another with Cnc Milling was involved and so on and so forth.

I haven't seen any yet, but there were some chaps who were very interested. This was at the same time as pending legislation in MD with computer aided firearm development manufacture was going on so its been a awhile since I have done any follow up.

The mark 1, the assault rifle no-one remembers. I would like to have a reasonable facsimile of a device just because I own a few Mk 1 rifles.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I seen a guy that was making them as prop, but out of paper! I had no idea reproducing things from heavy paper was such a hobby.
    I mean everything from the Sistine Chapel to a Pederson device in minute detail.

But anyway, another person who was in to 3d printing was provided an example and then a another with Cnc Milling was involved and so on and so forth.

I haven't seen any yet, but there were some chaps who were very interested. This was at the same time as pending legislation in MD with computer aided firearm development manufacture was going on so its been a awhile since I have done any follow up.

The mark 1, the assault rifle no-one remembers. I would like to have a reasonable facsimile of a device just because I own a few Mk 1 rifles.

I actually have a box of ammunition for the Mark I rifles...here was only one run made from what I understand and most were eventually destroyed.

Twice I've seen real Pedersen Devices...once at the Baltimore Antique Gun Show some years ago...not for sale...just a display on a Mark I rifle. The other was at the Springfield Armory Museum in MA. Out of about 65k Pedersen Devices made only about 125 were not destroyed by the government. Where most are is probably not known.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Not much. They’d need redesigning. You watch the C&Rsenal episode on them? They had one and their gunsmith (Mark certainly seems very talented) worked it over big time and they basically managed one take of it running properly. It was an ingenious design that was literally ahead of its time. the materials and engineering to make it reliable in anyway just wasn’t there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I actually have a box of ammunition for the Mark I rifles...here was only one run made from what I understand and most were eventually destroyed.

Twice I've seen real Pedersen Devices...once at the Baltimore Antique Gun Show some years ago...not for sale...just a display on a Mark I rifle. The other was at the Springfield Armory Museum in MA. Out of about 65k Pedersen Devices made only about 125 were not destroyed by the government. Where most are is probably not known.

Every once in a while a mag will pop up. I understand the metal carrying case is nearly worth as much as the device.

I watched the C&R segment Lazarus mentioned. The pederson in the segment didn't have an inspectors stamp on it. Likely on loan from the SA museum which was briefly mentioned.

I had read in more then one text previously the devices were scrapped and burned in France at the end of of the war. Either by Pershing or by other army personnel. The afterwards description was rusted and blackened rendered useless but still kept secret for a number of years later.

I would suspect more than one or two examples came off that pile. I'd still like to find a wooden spare parts container with its contents inside.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The devices weren't scrapped until some time later following WWI. Most of the Mark I rifles were known to be sent to National Guard units...many, if not most at some point had the Mark I parts removed and replaced with standard 1903 parts. Following WWI after the German surrender and German storage facilities examined it was discovered they had a Pedersen Device and no one knew when it was stolen from the Army or by whom or how long they had it.

The Mark I rifles aren't rare...finding one still in its original configuration is pretty uncommon and bring a nice premium.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    The devices weren't scrapped until some time later following WWI. Most of the Mark I rifles were known to be sent to National Guard units...many, if not most at some point had the Mark I parts removed and replaced with standard 1903 parts. Following WWI after the German surrender and German storage facilities examined it was discovered they had a Pedersen Device and no one knew when it was stolen from the Army or by whom or how long they had it.

The Mark I rifles aren't rare...finding one still in its original configuration is pretty uncommon and bring a nice premium.

How can you tell if the mark 1 rifle has the original parts or not? I'm really not into old military rifles but I had 1903 mark 1 giving to me and I have to tell you I'm starting to get interested lol

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Generally a Mk 1 will have specific parts for the trigger with pawl, the spindle that secures the cut off that has milling for attaching the device (see picture) and a bolt sleeve with a W and upside down 7 that is supposed to be an "L" and maybe a numerical code, ( 2, 5, 9 etc. ) Usually stamped on the top or bottom of the bolt lug. Could be located on the third bolt jug forward on the barrel sleeve
    Stock will be relieved very slightly under the reciever left side wall where the oval ejection port is located. (poor picture) Stock may also exhibit a script firing proof on the bottom of the wrist and have an inspectors mark located just below the cut off switch. (W.E.S. memory here!) Finish should be a oiled black or maybe even parkerized. Barrel date (SA) from late 18 to early 1920

mk1_trgr_ctf.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Pederson Device and kit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom