• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sorry if I missed something, but when will we know the decisions of the below?

Mance v Barr
    Pena v Horan
    Rogers v Grewal
    Gould v Lipson
    Ciolek v New Jersey
    Cheeseman v Polillo
    Worman v Healey
    Malpasso v Pallozzi
    Culp v Raoul
    Wilson v Cook County

Two weeks.

Or two weeks later.

Or . . .

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sorry if I missed something, but when will we know the decisions of the below?

Mance v Barr
    Pena v Horan
    Rogers v Grewal
    Gould v Lipson
    Ciolek v New Jersey
    Cheeseman v Polillo
    Worman v Healey
    Malpasso v Pallozzi
    Culp v Raoul
    Wilson v Cook County

All these cases are on the docket for this Friday's conference. Which means we could know as soon as this Friday, or (more likely) when the order list comes out next Monday. I think they might relist all of them for May 17 (the next Friday conf. on the schedule), which would give them a little more time to sort it out. No rush, as any cert grant would carry the case over the summer and be argued next Term. I do think that we will get a cert grant on at least one case before the end of the Term and the rest could be continued to be held. One way or another, we will/should have movement soon.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Alito and Shannon Watts quotes ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5c39e6-8893-11ea-9dfd-990f9dcc71fc_story.html

“By incorrectly dismissing this case as moot, the court permits our docket to be manipulated in a way that should not be countenanced,” wrote Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.

“This ruling should come as a relief to every American worried about keeping their family safe from gun violence,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action. “The NRA and its allies are losing everywhere from state legislatures to boardrooms, which means the courts are their last hope. But they’ll keep losing there too, because the courts have ruled time and again that common-sense gun laws are constitutional.”

Of course Watts is pure PR, but Alito's warning is real. Roberts and the SC were threatened by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (below). Next time the SC can say they are really really upset when a state plays this game.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-chief-justice-ducks-on-gun-rights-11588026396
    (Editorial board)

What an enormous abdication. The Supreme Court ducked its first Second Amendment case in a decade on Monday, and the only plausible explanation is that Chief Justice John Roberts wanted to avoid becoming a target of vengeful Senate Democrats.

In an unsigned per curiam opinion, the Chief joined the four liberals and a (conflicted) Justice Brett Kavanaugh in declaring moot a challenge to New York City’s onerous gun regulation (New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York). ...

Rhode Island Senator Sheldon Whitehouse and four other Democrats also weighed in with an amicus brief threatening the Justices if they didn’t follow their orders to drop the case. “The Supreme Court is not well,” they wrote. “Perhaps the Court can heal itself before the public demands it be ‘restructured in order to reduce the influence of politics.’”

The majority buckled and ignored previous rulings to do it. As Justice Alito writes, the Court’s precedents hold that “a case ‘becomes moot only when it is impossible for a court to grant any effectual relief whatever to the prevailing party.’” Plaintiffs want to transport their firearms without worrying about getting arrested if they stop somewhere along the way. The city even admitted in oral arguments that it’s unclear whether this is allowed. Justice Alito says this and more make the rule’s violation of the Second Amendment “not a close call.”

On the mootness point, Justice Alito also pokes his colleagues with this hypothetical: “A State enacts a law providing that any woman wishing to obtain an abortion must submit certification from five doctors that the procedure is medically necessary. After a woman sues, claiming that any requirement of physician certification is unconstitutional, the State replaces its old law with a new one requiring certification by three physicians. Would the court be required to dismiss the woman’s suit?” You know the answer.

Justice Kavanaugh’s role here is curious because, while he joined the majority on mootness, he wrote a concurrence agreeing with the dissent on the Second Amendment merits. This looks to us as if he is trying to protect the Chief Justice from being the fifth vote, and the sole “conservative,” providing a liberal victory while making clear he’s still a solid vote himself for gun rights. The phrase for this is too clever by half.

Justice Kavanaugh may agree with the Chief that the Court needs to avoid political controversies, especially with Democrats threatening to pack the Court if they win the White House and Senate in November. But the Court’s timidity on gun rights amid Senate threats means that liberal and media intimidation will escalate. The Court hasn’t taken a Second Amendment case in a decade, even as cities and states erode its landmark Heller decision bit by bit. The Court is sending a signal that the Second Amendment is the exception in the Bill of Rights, a second-class freedom.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I don't agree. There is lots of case law where gov. defendants have mooted cases in this way. This case, while egregious, won't change that, either way. NYC had to eat its law and everyone knows it. But there is no way that NJ will repeal its may issue law to moot Rogers. Likewise California in Pena or the federal government in Mance. These states are true believers. Sooner or later, they will run out of room to run.

I would have said NYC was a true believer as well.

I am less sure than you about the ability for CA to play games with Pena. CA DOJ seems to have too much discretion, i suspect they will magically find an excuse to add some stuff to the roster. We will see in a few weeks though for sure.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I would have said NYC was a true believer as well.

I am less sure than you about the ability for CA to play games with Pena. CA DOJ seems to have too much discretion, i suspect they will magically find an excuse to add some stuff to the roster. We will see in a few weeks though for sure.

Maybe, but all it takes to keep the case alive is that the CA DOJ uses the microstamping law to keep *one* firearm in common use off the CA Roster. Can't see that they will suddenly reverse course for the hundreds of handguns they that have kept off the Roster. Of course, the Cal legislature could repeal the law, but that would be a stunning and humiliating u-turn for these true believers. Could happen, but I doubt it. The NYC case was about a stupid ordinance of NYC, not a state wide law. The NYC ordinance was small potatoes that was easy to give up after cert.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Mance v Barr (18-663) whether the federal government can prohibit interstate handgun sales

Pena v Horan (18-843) (California) whether possession of a gun can be limited to "safe" guns

Rogers v Grewal (18-824) (New Jersey) whether the government can require a "special need" in order to allow carry outside the house

Gould v Lipson (18-1272) (Massachusetts) whether the government can require a "special need" in order to allow carry outside the house

Ciolek v New Jersey (19-114) whether the government can require a "justifiable need" in order to grant a carry permit

Cheeseman v Polillo (19-27) (New Jersey) whether licenses can require a "justifiable need" for possessing a gun

Worman v Healey (19-404) (Massachusetts) whether "assault weapons" and "large capacity feeding devices" can be banned

Malpasso v Pallozzi (19-423) (Maryland) whether licenses can require a "good and substantial reason" for possessing a gun

Culp v. Raoul (19-487) (Illinois) Whether the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms requires Illinois to allow qualified non-residents to apply for an Illinois concealed-carry license.

Wilson v. Cook County (19-704) (Illinois) Whether the Second Amendment allows a local government to prohibit law-abiding residents from possessing and protecting themselves and their families with a class of rifles and ammunition magazines that are in common use at this time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    “This ruling should come as a relief to every American worried about keeping their family safe from gun violence,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action. “The NRA and its allies are losing everywhere from state legislatures to boardrooms, which means the courts are their last hope. But they’ll keep losing there too, because the courts have ruled time and again that common-sense gun laws are constitutional.” -Shannon Watts

Does she understand the case was mooted because the law she’s in favor of was repealed? That’s the opposite of winning, Shannon.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    “This ruling should come as a relief to every American worried about keeping their family safe from gun violence,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action. “The NRA and its allies are losing everywhere from state legislatures to boardrooms, which means the courts are their last hope. But they’ll keep losing there too, because the courts have ruled time and again that common-sense gun laws are constitutional.” -Shannon Watts

Does she understand the case was mooted because the law she’s in favor of was repealed? That’s the opposite of winning, Shannon.

Every time she opens her mouth, something legally inane comes out of it.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019

She probably doesn't understand, or if she does understand, that would imply she is aware that all her mindless drone followers have no understanding of anything regarding guns and gun laws.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    She probably doesn't understand, or if she does understand, that would imply she is aware that all her mindless drone followers have no understanding of anything regarding guns and gun laws.

She totally understands. She gets paid for Bloomberg marketing and spin aka lying. I hope you dont think that shes really just a garden variety soccer mom.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Mance v Barr (18-663) whether the federal government can prohibit interstate handgun sales

Pena v Horan (18-843) (California) whether possession of a gun can be limited to "safe" guns

Rogers v Grewal (18-824) (New Jersey) whether the government can require a "special need" in order to allow carry outside the house

Gould v Lipson (18-1272) (Massachusetts) whether the government can require a "special need" in order to allow carry outside the house

Ciolek v New Jersey (19-114) whether the government can require a "justifiable need" in order to grant a carry permit

Cheeseman v Polillo (19-27) (New Jersey) whether licenses can require a "justifiable need" for possessing a gun

Pena v Horan (19-404) (Massachusetts) whether "assault weapons" and "large capacity feeding devices" can be banned

Malpasso v Pallozzi (19-423) (Maryland) whether licenses can require a "good and substantial reason" for possessing a gun

Culp v. Raoul (19-487) (Illinois) Whether the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms requires Illinois to allow qualified non-residents to apply for an Illinois concealed-carry license.

Wilson v. Cook County (19-704) (Illinois) Whether the Second Amendment allows a local government to prohibit law-abiding residents from possessing and protecting themselves and their families with a class of rifles and ammunition magazines that are in common use at this time.

Looking through that list, I see several groupings.

Group 1: Rogers v Grewal, Gould v Lipson, Ciolek v New Jersey, Malpasso v Pallozzi. These all deal with the question of whether or not the state can demand an especially "good" reason for issue of a carry permit.

Group 2: Pena v Horan, Pena v Horan, Wilson v. Cook County. These all deal with the question of whether or not the state has the power to regulate the sale or possession of firearms otherwise in common use.

Cheeseman? That might be the lowest hanging fruit.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Looking through that list, I see several groupings.

Group 1: Rogers v Grewal, Gould v Lipson, Ciolek v New Jersey, Malpasso v Pallozzi. These all deal with the question of whether or not the state can demand an especially "good" reason for issue of a carry permit.

Group 2: Pena v Horan, Pena v Horan, Wilson v. Cook County. These all deal with the question of whether or not the state has the power to regulate the sale or possession of firearms otherwise in common use.

Cheeseman? That might be the lowest hanging fruit.

I think Rogers, Gould, Ciolek, Malpasso and Cheeseman all pretty much present the identical question (may issue). Culp is similar (carry permit for non-residents). Wilson, Pena and Worman all present the "in common use" question. Mance is the only one that stands alone and, noteworthy, it is the only one that involves an act of Congress (which the Court is particularly sensitive about).

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    That's weird. 7th down is Worman v Healey, not Pena. I don't know how quoting it changed it......or maybe I typed it in incorrectly and a Mod corrected it. :cool:

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I disagree. If the Court were going to declare this moot from the start, it would have done so early on. It didn't. That means that at the time, there was belief that Roberts would see the case through to a decision on the merits. But Roberts didn't do that. Instead, Roberts went for the mootness route long after the point where it made sense for the Court to declare the case moot. For Roberts to do that means that he changed his position, and that means his support of the 2nd Amendment must be weak at best, and this means he is now as undependable as Kennedy with respect to support for the 2nd Amendment.

And that means that any pro-2A justice with any brains at all will ensure that the 2A cases that were held will be denied cert so as to prevent the possibility of either a very weak decision or a decision against the 2nd Amendment.

As such, my prediction has to be that the Court will deny cert to all 2A cases until such time as Trump manages to nominate another pro-2A to the bench. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I don't see how logic applied to the chain of events and the resulting situation would yield any other reasonable expectation.

I disagree that the court would have issued a ruling earlier if they were going to declare the issue moot from the start. They are going to give the dissenting justices the time they need to write a dissent. Thomas did not concur with the entire dissent so it is possible that he was the hold up and that the three dissenting justices could not all agree on the reasoning. It is also possible that Kavanaugh was the hold up and decided at the last minute to support mootness. Roberts stance seemed consistent with his questioning at oral argument. Kavanaugh did not ask any questions at oral argument.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    All these cases are on the docket for this Friday's conference. Which means we could know as soon as this Friday, or (more likely) when the order list comes out next Monday. I think they might relist all of them for May 17 (the next Friday conf. on the schedule), which would give them a little more time to sort it out. No rush, as any cert grant would carry the case over the summer and be argued next Term. I do think that we will get a cert grant on at least one case before the end of the Term and the rest could be continued to be held. One way or another, we will/should have movement soon.

I think you are mixing up the months. There was a conference on Friday April 17th, but May 17th is a Sunday. The next conference after this Friday (May 1st) will be the next Friday, May 8th.

See https://www.supremecourt.gov/ for the calendar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom