• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Seriously! My restrictions are fine... No reason to fight them. MSP actually listen to me and understood my business and the restrictions fit well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rictions! Then you start the battle of fighting to remove them!
    So when i read my restrictions and read them with our lawyer, we decided not to fight them. Are there holes and times we can not carry sure...... Maybe.

My restrictions.
    Valid between home and work and while engaged in any on-site or off-site business activity at any hour for "said business". MD only.

I'm not sure how the first bolded jives with the second. What you received is the standard business owner restriction.

But it's your life, if you're happy living with the infringement then knock yourself out.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    I'm not sure how the first bolded jives with the second. What you received is the standard business owner restriction.

But it's your life, if you're happy living with the infringement then knock yourself out.
    I understand what your saying! But could it get better? Help me understand! PA was nothing like this. 20 minutes $30 and I was good to go anywhere anytime 5 years at a time for 15 years! Here it sucks!
    At the informal would I just explain my self better and they would possibly lift them... If not then onto the formal where again I plead my case and hope they lift them... Or is it possible for them to add more restrictions?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I understand what your saying! But could it get better? Help me understand! PA was nothing like this. 20 minutes $30 and I was good to go anywhere anytime 5 years at a time for 15 years! Here it sucks!
    At the informal would I just explain my self better and they would possibly lift them... If not then onto the formal where again I plead my case and hope they lift them... Or is it possible for them to add more restrictions?

Should know the answer in about two months, maybe sooner. OAH is starting hearings on restrictions modifications next week. I've heard a few applicants testify they work 24/7, so as one Trooper lamented, the restriction is no issue then.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Should know the answer in about two months, maybe sooner. OAH is starting hearings on restrictions modifications next week. I've heard a few applicants testify they work 24/7, so as one Trooper lamented, the restriction is no issue then.
    Not sure I know what that means. I need to decide witin the next 6 days to send in my paperwork for the hearings.

In my case the only thing I did not consider is... What if...
    What if I am at Wal-Mart... Not conducting any business and just shopping. Per my restrictions I could not be carrying. I get call from client! "can you come bye asap" sure I can! Guess where side arm is.

So I see the point now of removing them

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Not sure I know what that means. I need to decide witin the next 6 days to send in my paperwork for the hearings.

What if I am at Wal-Mart... Not conducting any business and just shopping. Per my restrictions I could not be carrying. I get call from client! "can you come bye asap" sure I can! Guess where side arm is.

Send it in, only costs your time. You can always cancel. As of now you'll be lucky to get a hearing by Thanksgiving.

The HPRB tends to overturn restrictions and order an issue of non restricted permit. Due to new procedure that started last October, MSP may appeal that ruling to OAH, and their decision will supersede HPRB. MSP has been requesting hearings on current HPRB overturns. The first OAH hearings happen very soon, so we'll see how some applicants do.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Send it in, only costs your time. You can always cancel. As of now you'll be lucky to get a hearing by Thanksgiving.

The HPRB tends to overturn restrictions and order an issue of non restricted permit. Due to new procedure that started last October, MSP may appeal that ruling to OAH, and their decision will supersede HPRB. MSP has been requesting hearings on current HPRB overturns. The first OAH hearings happen very soon, so we'll see how some applicants do.
    Wow! Thanks for helping me understand it all better!
    So just send in the request for the HPRB hearing and not the MSP informal hearing... Right

In the mean time sit back and wait for that hearing. Or do they send out something in the meantime as a way to help with restrictions?

Luigi2020

Oct 21, 2013
    Nottingham, MD
    I recently got my permit with the same business restrictions. I sent in the request for the HPRB and got an email very quickly letting me know they got the request and they'd let me know when I would get a hearing. I figure I have many months to even worry about it so I figure I'll wait and see what happens with the OAH hearings then figure out what I need to do.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014

If you're on call your working. There are many occupations where people have the potential to be called any hour of the day or night. Realtors come to mind. IMHO, if you have a dedicated work phone and its with you all the time its a stronger case. When I come home I turn the work phone off and put it in the drawer. The on call provision wouldn't apply to me.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    If you're on call your working. There are many occupations where people have the potential to be called any hour of the day or night. Realtors come to mind. IMHO, if you have a dedicated work phone and its with you all the time its a stronger case. When I come home I turn the work phone off and put it in the drawer. The on call provision wouldn't apply to me.
    Yes I sent in my request to have a hearing!

As the days went on I thought of more and more situations where I should carry and probably could not be or would need to do a lot of explaining and or I would be in cuffs till it got sorted out!
    Example... What if the wife and I are at the movies and during the movie I get a message to come see a client... Well they are on the way home... I have what I need to assist the client in the car but in that case I would not be carrying cause I wasn't conducting business at the movies! Lol at least not that kind! Lol. So what am I to do run home and grab it then go about my business? In most cases a money/cash transaction would take place and now I would need to make a bank deposit and so on... So the whole purpose for the permit kinda goes up in smoke with restrictions. So yes somthing needs to be done with them. Just scared about the process and what could or could not happen. We fear what we don't completely understand!

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    I received my permit with typical business restrictions a few months ago. I immediately filed the paperwork for an informal hearing from MSP LD and Formal hearing with the review board. I am a real estate agent and own a business that invests in real estate. I was denied the removal of my restrictions by the MSP LD via the informal review. That was expected.

Without going in to much detail, I'll tell you this: Everyone at MSP I've dealt with has been professional, courteous, helpful, and to the extent they can be, fair.

YOU determine if you are working. Not LEO. For me, I'm basically working all the time, unless I'm walking my dog (I don't carry my wallet when I walk my dog, so I don't carry my permit, so I don't carry).

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    To elaborate on the process a bit for the OP, your options are "informal" review with MSP and HPRB hearing. The MSP review will be, usually, the next rank up in the LD on the same ladder as the people who just gave you a restricted permit. As others have noted, don't expect success here unless you can bring in some compelling new information. The HPRB wont' hold it against you if you skip the informal review, although the MSP will usually mention that in their presentation before the board. Although still constrained by Maryland's nonsense laws, the Board is usually willing to consider reasonable testimony as to why your restrictions aren't necessary. What will never happen is you losing ground, the process is strictly for removal of existing restrictions and the board can only sustain the MSP so you keep what you have going into the hearing. For whoever looses at the HPRB the next option is appeal to the Office of Administrative Hearings.

Make sure you come down to Crownsville and observe a couple of hearings before yours comes up. You will learn a lot about how things work and what to do. One of the most important things you will learn is when to stop talking!

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    To elaborate on the process a bit for the OP, your options are "informal" review with MSP and HPRB hearing. The MSP review will be, usually, the next rank up in the LD on the same ladder as the people who just gave you a restricted permit. As others have noted, don't expect success here unless you can bring in some compelling new information. The HPRB wont' hold it against you if you skip the informal review, although the MSP will usually mention that in their presentation before the board. Although still constrained by Maryland's nonsense laws, the Board is usually willing to consider reasonable testimony as to why your restrictions aren't necessary. What will never happen is you losing ground, the process is strictly for removal of existing restrictions and the board can only sustain the MSP so you keep what you have going into the hearing. For whoever looses at the HPRB the next option is appeal to the Office of Administrative Hearings.

Make sure you come down to Crownsville and observe a couple of hearings before yours comes up. You will learn a lot about how things work and what to do. One of the most important things you will learn is when to stop talking!

THANK YOU
    i am going to make a couple of meetings. I would really like to see how it all works and yes it will really help me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom