• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If I wanted a takedown .22 there is nothing that matches the quality of the Browning SA-22 takedown, the original .22 semi-auto rifle. JM Browning design, made from 1914 to 1974 by FN in Belgium, but only imported into the US from 1956-1974. Currently made in Japan by their partner Miroku since 1976. However even a base model w/grade 1 walnut stock lists for $599 at Gander Mtn. Bottom ejecting, tube mag in the stock, low scope mounting, and no tools needed for breaking down or disassembly.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If only Henry Marlin made a takedown levergun in .22.

FIFY

attachment.php

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To OP, you are probably much better off with something like velocitors. Stingers tend to blow up instead of penetrate. Stingers are great for varmints, but I doubt it would penetrate bone, break it sure, but probably not penetrate a rib cage, leg bone, etc. velocitors will penetrate an easy 14" in ballistic gelatin. Stingers not nearly so.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    SOME can be made reliable, some can not.

10/22 takedown would be my next choice on a budget.

Nothing touches a 15/22. The halves seperate and become compact. The mags are cheap and reliable. It has backup and a rail for optics (again, they can be Q.R.). The stock is adjustable for different shooters. The barrel os floated.

Not disagreeing. However some have had issues with the 15/22. Mine wouldn't feed more than two rounds and then jam.

My point is, buy one, put 500 rounds through it and assure it is working, BEFORE you box it up for SHTF. ;)

My "repaired" 15/22 is VERY reliable. Runs everything I feed it.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    This responses to this thread have disappointed me so much! I've read a lot of good stuff, with some bad stuff, online. Was hoping you guys would persuade me to make the purchase. But yeah, a SHTF gun needs to be reliable. If the AR-7 can't boast that...well...that kind of kills the appeal.

And I have to say, the 007 factor kind of made me want it. What a bummer. I'm glad I didn't drop the cash though. The Marlin Papoose kind of looks like a decent alternative. I haven't seen too much bad about them. I really like the idea of detachable mags. Seems much more functional than a tube mag. Opinions?

To OP, you are probably much better off with something like velocitors. Stingers tend to blow up instead of penetrate. Stingers are great for varmints, but I doubt it would penetrate bone, break it sure, but probably not penetrate a rib cage, leg bone, etc. velocitors will penetrate an easy 14" in ballistic gelatin. Stingers not nearly so.

Thanks, picking a good bullet seems like half the battle in making a 22LR rifle suitable for SHTF. I'll definitely look into the Velocitors. I had just seen Stingers often referenced in conjunction with a SHTF 22LR rifle.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This responses to this thread have disappointed me so much! I've read a lot of good stuff, with some bad stuff, online. Was hoping you guys would persuade me to make the purchase. But yeah, a SHTF gun needs to be reliable. If the AR-7 can't boast that...well...that kind of kills the appeal. And I have to say, the 007 factor kind of made me want it. What a bummer. I'm glad I didn't drop the cash though. The Marlin Papoose kind of looks like a decent alternative. I haven't seen too much bad about them. I really like the idea of detachable mags. Seems much more functional than a tube mag. Opinions?

If for whatever reason a tube mag gets bent, you may as well just use the rifle as a club.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    If for whatever reason a tube mag gets bent, you may as well just use the rifle as a club.

Well aside from that (which is 100% true), I just plain like the idea of being able to carry extra, pre-loaded mags. A tube mag just doesn't offer the reloading options.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    If I wanted a takedown .22 there is nothing that matches the quality of the Browning SA-22 takedown, the original .22 semi-auto rifle. JM Browning design, made from 1914 to 1974 by FN in Belgium, but only imported into the US from 1956-1974. Currently made in Japan by their partner Miroku since 1976. However even a base model w/grade 1 walnut stock lists for $599 at Gander Mtn. Bottom ejecting, tube mag in the stock, low scope mounting, and no tools needed for breaking down or disassembly.

Quality rifle for sure! But not sure I could bring myself to store that in my trunk. Too bad Springfield Armory doesn't make the M-6 Scout anymore.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Quality rifle for sure! But not sure I could bring myself to store that in my trunk.

See, that's why I liked the AR-7. Reasonably cheap, not fancy, and hardly even looks like a gun when taken down. Storing a ~$600 gun in my trunk in PG just sounds like a recipe for some real heartache.

EDIT: What about a KelTec Sub 2k in 9mm? I've seen reports of CZ mags working in them. Seems like a solid gun, the only issue is availability.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I have one that a bought a couple years ago. I don't remember having any problems in terms of firing. Accuracy was always spot on up to 25 yards. Trigger pull was something that could be worked on, but didn't affect my accuracy. I do wish it had a threaded barrel.

It comes with 2 magazines, but could hold an extra one if you keep it in the receiver. I guess you might run into legality issues that way, even though it's not able to fire when it's inside the stock.

It's supposed to float in water, so it should stand up to outside weather conditions better than a 10/22 takedown in a backpack. The cap didn't seem like a perfect seal though, so I never tested if it floats. The 10/22 takedown didn't exist when I got my AR-7.

Not a fan of cleaning it with the double recoil springs. I think I remember it needing to be assembled in a certain order? I do know that you should accidently press the trigger when it's disassembled or it will be a big pain to put it back together.

Other than that, I thought it was a very nice survival rifle and fun to bring to the range. I feel like I'm building one of those video camcorder sniper rifles haha. I guess I got lucky on my purchase.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    See, that's why I liked the AR-7. Reasonably cheap, not fancy, and hardly even looks like a gun when taken down. Storing a ~$600 gun in my trunk in PG just sounds like a recipe for some real heartache.

EDIT: What about a KelTec Sub 2k in 9mm? I've seen reports of CZ mags working in them. Seems like a solid gun, the only issue is availability.

I really like the Sub 2K. I wish the front sight wasn't plastic though. On the CZ mags I couldn't say. My only experience has been with the glock mag version. I think they have one for Smith mags also.

earlybirdnj

Aug 1, 2013
    i had a charter arms and it was like owning a boat--
    you have two great days--
    1. the day you by it
    and
    2. the day you sell it

biggest pos i've ever owned!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If only Henry made a takedown levergun in .22.

Rossi Pump takedown was a better idea. Carbine length option of .22 mag which get you well up into coon size critters.

AR7 is neat, I always said I would get one just never could come to grips with the plastic sleeved barrel at the price.

Now some of the earlier explorer models etc were REALLY cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom