• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    It's worth the chance to me for a range toy. I ordered 10.5" 5.56 and a 16" 5.56 barrels and poo iced up a pair of low profile gas blocks too.

Within this over run, I could only find 10.5 inc in 300blk.
    I see an 11 inch and 16 inch in 5.56 with a carbine gas systems.

If I used an 11 inch barrel in a pistol build, wouldn't I want a pistol gas system not carbine? More recoil with carbine length right?

I would grab a 16 inch 5.56, but with a carbine gas system, wouldn't I have to use a shorter rail, or would that only apply in regard to using a FSB?

I would want to use a 15 inch rail, and was thinking mid length gas was the way to go for that length rail, or is it a big whatever as far as the rail goes?

I'm tempted to grab an 11 inch and a 16 inch but not sure they are a fit for my plans

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Within this over run, I could only find 10.5 inc in 300blk.
    I see an 11 inch and 16 inch in 5.56 with a carbine gas systems.

If I used an 11 inch barrel in a pistol build, wouldn't I want a pistol gas system not carbine? More recoil with carbine length right?

I would grab a 16 inch 5.56, but with a carbine gas system, wouldn't I have to use a shorter rail, or would that only apply in regard to using a FSB?

I would want to use a 15 inch rail, and was thinking mid length gas was the way to go for that length rail, or is it a big whatever as far as the rail goes?

I'm tempted to grab an 11 inch and a 16 inch but not sure they are a fit for my plans

Carbine is fine for a 5.56 pistol build, pistol length in 5.56 tends to dramatically overgas the gun if you're not running an adjustable gas block.

As for rails, that's personal preference. I like to keep my gas blocks covered by the rail, even if they're pinned. Only time you have to worry about keeping your rail length proportional to your gas length is when you're using a standard FSB.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Carbine is fine for a 5.56 pistol build, pistol length in 5.56 tends to dramatically overgas the gun if you're not running an adjustable gas block.

As for rails, that's personal preference. I like to keep my gas blocks covered by the rail, even if they're pinned. Only time you have to worry about keeping your rail length proportional to your gas length is when you're using a standard FSB.

So maybe I should grab a couple of these hmmm they are pretty cheap and get really good reviews, from what I can find.

Ok so if I'm not planning on a FSB it's a non issue, cool thanks a bunch :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    fast shipping got mine in 2 days with the flat rate 6 buck shipping from CA
    10.5 300blk

uploadfromtaptalk1441049292693.jpg

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I picked up two of the gas blocks to go along with my barrels. Everything arrived very quickly, now I need to decide what handguard to buy for this carbine build.

I am using a Engage Armament billet upper and lower set. For the handguard I am leaning towards the ALG EMR V2.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    that looks so damn sexy.

You guys know how I feel about melonite. I've never bought products from this company before, but have friends who have with good results. Didn't even know they had an OEM nitride option

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    after doing some research, KAK barrels are machined from green mountain blanks in all but very few situations. I've not had a green mountain barrel that did not shoot well, and have had several of their offerings black nitrided on my own dime via H&M with phenominal results.

This seems to be the end result of what I so painstakingly made happen myself, at the price of a bargain basement barrel.

Wish I had seen this before while they still had more stock

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    that looks so damn sexy.

You guys know how I feel about melonite. I've never bought products from this company before, but have friends who have with good results. Didn't even know they had an OEM nitride option
    You like melonite(is that the same process as nitride?)? From your post seems like you did after doing some research. Any interesting or particularly good sources you could share?
    after doing some research, KAK barrels are machined from green mountain blanks in all but very few situations. I've not had a green mountain barrel that did not shoot well, and have had several of their offerings black nitrided on my own dime via H&M with phenominal results.

This seems to be the end result of what I so painstakingly made happen myself, at the price of a bargain basement barrel.

Wish I had seen this before while they still had more stock
    I just looked they were all still in stock so it's not too late :)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I was told that the Green Mountain Rifle blanks are less than $40 and I would not be able to build a very accurate rifle from a barrel made from a less than $40 blank.
    I did buy one and am not too concerned but can anyone expand on this?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Rifled blanks are fairly cheap anywhere. The cost is in chambering them correctly. GM makes good barrels so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom