What is the big deal about non HBAR being illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raylon Rules

I am Groot
    Feb 19, 2013
    C.C.C.M.D.
    Other than weight, what is the real difference in the HBAR sold in stores now? 1 owner of a gun shop told me that the heavy barrel is more accurate and accepts heat better when firing faster. What is the truth? difference?

How about the principle of it? I probably couldn't tell the difference but that's beside the point. No one likes being told what they can or can't do, especially when the criteria is arbitrary, capricious, and stupid. I don't know about you, but telling me I can't have or do something makes me want it all the more.

jrosen007

Mar 16, 2014
    Howard County
    HBAR question...

I've done some homework and most FFLs/Gun shops have said all HBARs are legal. I'm sill searching for the right one, would prefer 20" in a 1:7 twist but most are 1:9.

My question from minds here smarter than mine on the subject is this - If the manufacturer states it is a "heavy barrel" without actually being marked on the barrel is that legal in MD? Also, if ever questioned about it what would you advise to clarify? (carry with gun - bill of sale, printed material on the model stating "heavy barrel", etc.). Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Do not forget to include the fact that more mass = lower temp = slower heat transfer ... I think that as exponential in the delta T and may explain a lot

but the it the issue is thermal expansion ( wrt accuracy changes ) temperature not heat would be a very key issue.

And of course barrel harmonics would dominate both i think.

Very interesting -- wonder if any one ever did a formal model to see which variable dominates .. at some T the barrel harmonics may change as well.

Now I am thinking none of this matters at 5.56 type ranges... but who knows.. and I bet trigger dominates the all then wind then cartridge variations and the barrel harmonics

If we ever get to get back to just shooting instead of politics this might be a fun experiment ...

They are all related.

The most important variable is always the nut behind the trigger. I have always found most problems of ultimate accuracy revolve around the trigger nut because most people are incapable of regularly shooting better than their firearms. Of course most shooters don't try for ultimate accuracy, we don't like seeing how bad we are preserved on paper, we prefer minute of gong, kick the can, or knock over the plate.

Now for those attempting the single hole of measurable diameter preserved in paper for all time shooting. Then all the minor variables become anally retentive important and we stop holding our guns and minimize contact with the trigger to achieve nirvana.

IIRC Eley looked at the question of ammunition variables and came up with something like 50 primary variables, 200 secondary variables and 700 tertiary variables in making a single round. When you add all the other variables of gun, weather, shooter it become mind boggling. For some interesting reading on variables:

These guys worry about air density and which machine made the ammo.
    http://www.benchrest.com/csaccuracy/eleybythenumbers.html

And the story of the "Secrets of the Houston Warehouse" has already been covered on MDS, always a great read.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=27179

Eley ammunition making.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_eley_101405/

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I've done some homework and most FFLs/Gun shops have said all HBARs are legal. I'm sill searching for the right one, would prefer 20" in a 1:7 twist but most are 1:9.

My question from minds here smarter than mine on the subject is this - If the manufacturer states it is a "heavy barrel" without actually being marked on the barrel is that legal in MD? Also, if ever questioned about it what would you advise to clarify? (carry with gun - bill of sale, printed material on the model stating "heavy barrel", etc.). Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

I have an upper with a 16" BHW heavy barrel going on a post 10/1 lower waiting for me in iowa. I printed the description and my receipt from the site I bought the barrel from as the description clearly states "HBAR". Just keeping that in a safe place.

Sirex