• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Maryland Shall issue does not, repeat not, endorse or support mandatory training as a prerequisite for gun ownership any more than we would support mandatory training for the exercise of any other enumerated constitutional right. Those are not idle words. In our HQL suit, we are spending a lot of money in attacking the mandatory training and the "one shot" requirements, among other things. We pick our legal battles carefully if only because money is a finite resource.

That said, we do encourage every gun owner to seek and obtain as much training (and range time) as their time and finances allow if only because such training enhances the ability of the gun owner to protect themselves and their loved ones, and, by extension, the community at large. But, MSI does not attempt to monitor or otherwise comment on the opinions of its individual members, as long as they don't purport to speak on behalf of MSI. It is a big tent. We have more than enough to do in fighting for our rights; we need the support of everyone in that endeavor.

Folks are free to advocate that MSI *should* do things differently and we are happy to listen to our members. We can and often do agree to respectfully disagree. Such is life in a diverse community. All the officers and board members of MSI stand for periodic election. Our members thus ultimately control the direction of MSI. Mark W. Pennak, President, MSI.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's a shame that Mark would have to start a thread like this. One idiot on a power trip can cause so much damage. Thank you MSI for everything you do.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I get the "big tent" and all, but if MSI has a member who espouses views that are 180 degrees out of whack with stated MSI positions is that member still allowed or encouraged to hand out MSI literature, possibly at the same time that they are expressing their divergent viewpoint?

I know that if I as a member of the general public who knew squat about the 2A was handed an MSI brochure by someone who then proceeded to tell me that training should be a mandatory pre-requisite to firearm ownership I would certainly think that he was touting the company line. There comes a time when the powers that be at MSI must weigh inclusiveness vs the amount of damage that could be done by a member with more than one screw loose.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I get the "big tent" and all, but if MSI has a member who espouses views that are 180 degrees out of whack with stated MSI positions is that member still allowed or encouraged to hand out MSI literature, possibly at the same time that they are expressing their divergent viewpoint?

I know that if I as a member of the general public who knew squat about the 2A was handed an MSI brochure by someone who then proceeded to tell me that training should be a mandatory pre-requisite to firearm ownership I would certainly think that he was touting the company line. There comes a time when the powers that be at MSI must weigh inclusiveness vs the amount of damage that could be done by a member with more than one screw loose.

I get that Stoveman and I agree that folks in the position of representing MSI (e.g., handing out MSI material at a gun show at the MSI desk) should not be off on their own personal lark in espousing their personal opinions in circumstances where the public might impute that opinion as that of MSI. That's why I attached emphasis to the one passage above. If we see it, we do something about it. We don't always see it. We are reliant on unpaid volunteers for everything we do. In the meantime, if there is confusion or any question about MSI's position, I encourage everyone to write directly to us at Info@marylandshallissue.org

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Some days the forum needs a thumbs up button. :)

Facebook-Like-Button2-300x300.jpg

Thank you.

That needed to be out there.

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was scratching my head for the first half of Mark's post until it all clicked . ( At least the beginnings, is there more I missed ? )

Basic Ethics - If you are representing ( whatever organization or entity ) , them represent them , and their stated policies and goals , and do not gratuitously contradict them.

If your beliefs do not permit you to put forth( whatever entity's) positions as they intend , then do not endeavor to represent the entity .

Disagree with some or all ? Fine ! Viva freedom of thought ! Feel free to remain a member , and work from inside to shape their policies more in line with your views with facts, and persuasion. OR resign , and present your facts and persuasions in the larger spheres of public debate . Viva public debate on the issues of the day !

But in either situation, or variations thereof , do not publicly misrepresent the goals and policies of any ( whatever) you purport , or appear to represent .

The above is basic that applies to any such situations, on any topic or issue .

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Has the training for volunteering changed in the last couple years? I forced myself to get training before I purchased a firearm and was a proponent for that path. I volunteered for a MSI gunshow table and a really nice man, who goes by Dogbone, educated me that wasn't MSIs position. At the time, the website was barebones so I went into it pretty much knowing nothing. I just had the desire to do something. Unless, there is a bit of education before attending a show someone might, unwillingly, bring a personal view while being a representative of MSI.

Could be an innocent mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom