• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because some people like the looks and handling of traditional sporter stocked rifles . The line of sight is much closer to bore line , particularly with iron sights . More recent ones sufficiently accurate for hunting at offhand disstances, and most recreational shooting . Before the recent generation of dirt cheap AR's , Minis were much less expensive .

Shooting/ hunting partner #2 ( & his family members ) have accounted for plenty of Va whitetails ( the state) with his Mini-30 and his handloads .

In 1985 , 8 Tracks were dead as doornail . Even in 1977 from whence that pic dates , 8 Tracks were in rapid decline . The tapes themselves still offered , but fading fast. Already supplanted as oem in vehicles by cassettes, and overall users at that point were at least 4 to 1 in favor of cassettes . Source - I had an 8 Track in 1977 , and I liked it !

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Bought my mini back when they were around $500. or less and you couldn't hardly find an AR. Early 90's. It is good enough. Now if I were just starting over, yeah I'd go AR15. To many other rifles at the moment I'd rather have.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    ...In 1985 , 8 Tracks were dead as doornail . Even in 1977 from whence that pic dates , 8 Tracks were in rapid decline . The tapes themselves still offered , but fading fast. Already supplanted as oem in vehicles by cassettes, and overall users at that point were at least 4 to 1 in favor of cassettes . Source - I had an 8 Track in 1977 , and I liked it !

kerr-chunk, kerr-chunk....

Dude... great song, dude!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
      s-l225.jpg
      6.7 KB · Views: 416

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If I could only own 1 of the 2 it would be an AR.

AR is cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, more relable, has more accessories available, cheaper magazines, etc.

Minis shoulder better for me and they make smile.

Have to add...the shorter tactical model minis are more accurate than the old ranch models. My teenaged son is darn near surgical with it.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Pro. You can buy a Mini14 at Wal-Mart in Hampstead. $795 I think.

I wanted a mini when I was young. Joined the Army. Didn't want one after. I wanted the M1A instead. Wish I'd have got one before FSA13! That said, that and an AK47 will be my first free America purchases.

I can see getting one to finish a collection. But, for the money I'd look at something else.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Do you have a Mini 30? A lot of folks complained that they are finicky when it comes to ammo, much more so than the Mini 14. I need to find the thread that talks about this.

I’ve only put 100 rounds through mine but it ate my steel cased Tula no issues

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Have several of both... if you are a collector, diversity is reason enough. I've had plenty of fun with my mini's.... minute of pie pan shooting can be it's own reward. But if the balloon goes up and the zombies are coming over the hill, I'm picking up an AR.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    At one time a Mini was far less expensive than an AR. Now ARs are cheap...a Mini-14 is an also-ran when you compare it to an AR feature for feature...dollar for dollar value...accuracy...durability...modular capability...etc. It's really no comparison anymore. If you want a Mini-14...no argument from me...there's also the desire for traditional steel and wood which I understand.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I’ve only put 100 rounds through mine but it ate my steel cased Tula no issues

That is good to know :thumbsup: because I have a little less than a thousand rounds of Silver Bear Steel cased ammo... want to shoot that up next. The Mini 14 should be fine with it then I'd imagine...

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    They make a 300blk Mini now. Don't they?

Yup, I have one. Got it from Hog Sniper around 2 years ago or so.

I love it. I have 2 Mini-14’s, an ex-LE GB from Lou, and the Mini-14 in .300 Blackout.

The .300blk version has given me around 1 MOA at 100 yards (farthest I’ve shot with it so far) using a scope and the cheap remington stuff at Walmart. It cycles subsonic and supersonic rounds with no problem. The only ammo I couldn’t get it to cycle with was the TomKat subsonic stuff.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yup, I have one. Got it from Hog Sniper around 2 years ago or so.

I love it. I have 2 Mini-14’s, an ex-LE GB from Lou, and the Mini-14 in .300 Blackout.

The .300blk version has given me around 1 MOA at 100 yards (farthest I’ve shot with it so far) using a scope and the cheap remington stuff at Walmart. It cycles subsonic and supersonic rounds with no problem. The only ammo I couldn’t get it to cycle with was the TomKat subsonic stuff.

Good to know.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They make a 300blk Mini now. Don't they?

I'll say this; given that the 300 Black version is reliable and seems to have acceptable accuracy, definitely an option. I just like that AK ammo is so readily available and cheap.

[EDIT] For that matter, one could get a Ruger American Ranch in 300 Black. A handy bolt gun that would shoot nice tight groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom