• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Speaking as someone who owns both an 870 and a Saiga 12, I don't understand this criticism at all. Do people really find tube-fed guns all that smooth to use? Seems like the gross motor movement of slapping a stick mag in a magazine well is WAY easier and faster than trying to stuff a shell in a tube. I get that tube guns have their place in a hunting scenario where your magazine is limited and you may be changing ammo types semi-frequently, but I see only pluses for magazines pretty much everywhere else.

My beef with the Saiga 12 is that rock-and-lock is a bit tricky on it... not that it takes sticks and drums.

Is your Saiga 12 a pump action? I could be wrong but it looks like a big box mag hanging down on a pump gun would get old real fast. Again I could be wrong but it looks like it would be awkward

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is your Saiga 12 a pump action? I could be wrong but it looks like a big box mag hanging down on a pump gun would get old real fast. Again I could be wrong but it looks like it would be awkward
    How are you pumping the gun where your arm comes anywhere near where that magazine would be? The weight is arguably better distributed when it's in the center of action like that.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have no interest in a magfed pump gun but the double stack mag has my curiosity peaked. The mossberg is supposed to be using the mike Davidson’s patent on the mags. He was designing them for the saiga 12 but gave up because of the import crap on the guns.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Man, I wish Mossies had crossbolt safeties. Tang-mounted doesn't do it for me. I know some people love them, but it's not a great place if you're running a pistol grip.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I lovingly fondled Mossberg and Remington's versions yesterday and the Mossy is amazing, Remmy underwhelming. The Saiga comment makes sense because on the Mossy you just hook the front lip and pull the bottom back to lock it in place. Very ergonomic, it locks in easily without any fumbling. There are notches on the bottom of the receiver side walls that the mag nests into as well. Really solid piece of hardware. Remmy was more of a standard metal mag that goes way up in the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom