• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    I was wondering what a reasonable price would be for a carbine? Since I was thinking about buying one in the future.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Anywhere from about $900 for a piece of crap to $2k or more depending on condition, manufacturer and correctness. Few are correct...fewer still are completely original. Even the correct Carbines were painstakingly put together by collectors researching and gathering the proper parts and part of the cost is paying for that effort.

The M1 Carbine is a real specialty arm...about a dozen manufacturers...huge number of subcontractors making parts and many upgrades and changes during production. It takes much research to truly be informed on them.

HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    Anywhere from about $900 for a piece of crap to $2k or more depending on condition, manufacturer and correctness. Few are correct...fewer still are completely original. Even the correct Carbines were painstakingly put together by collectors researching and gathering the proper parts and part of the cost is paying for that effort.

The M1 Carbine is a real specialty arm...about a dozen manufacturers...huge number of subcontractors making parts and many upgrades and changes during production. It takes much research to truly be informed on them.

I appreciate it man, and I’ll try to find something decent.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'd say expect on average to pay somewhere in the $1200-$1300 for a solid M1. The more correct or obscure you get the more you should expect to pay. I miss the days of the CMP having the surplus guns but that ship has long sailed...

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I appreciate it man, and I’ll try to find something decent.

I recommend closely following the marketplace on the CMP Forums:

https://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

There's a board specifically for carbines, and it's likely you could find one with CMP paperwork. That's what I did, albeit that was about 6 years ago. The good rifles at fair prices are usually snatched up pretty quickly.

Here's a thread from early March that had several for sale: https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=278232
    That will give you an idea on prices for really nice/restored rifles.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

I have an all correct, all original National Postal Meter pawn shop find. They're out there in the nooks and crannies but they are not common anymore.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've been looking at prices lately since I'm thinning the herd.

Royal tiger had the shot out beater carbines that disappeared at 1100 a pop.

gunbroker runs from 1100- 3k with realistic prices 1300-1600 for a decent condition ex cmp gun. The guns over 1500 usually have something special.

WW2 stocks (that actually match the maker) are one of the rarer features that push the price towards the higher end. Most carbines you see with the early features, no bayonet lug and flip sights, require a knowledgeable inspection before you pay extra for those. The flip sights and no bayonet lug bands have to be the most faked parts out there with military rifles.

Yes there are deals out there but they are not very common.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I took a look at link Dave91 posted, damn the prices at the cmp forum have gone high. That 1300-1600 range might be better changed to 1500-2000. Plain Jane cmp carbines are flying out the door in less than 90 minutes at the 1300-1500 range.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    And I have (actually it belongs to my better half) my FIL paid $15 for thru the NRA in the early 50's. Oh and it is a Rock-Ola, the rarest of the rare. Even with inflation that was a wise purchase. I've been offered $5k for it. bob

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    cheapest i have seen post covid is 1100, a few private sales have been rumored around 900-1000, but i have not observed these personally

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I had one built by Fulton Armory years back it was in the 1200 range. Winchester receiver. New barrel new wood usgi parts.

Yea, I picked one up from Fulton years ago when they were still doing gun shows, it was 1000.00 at the time, all Inland parts with new barrel and wood, I wanted a good shooter and that is what it is.
    I understand the ones they build nowadays are built with repro parts as supplies of original parts have dried up.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    cheapest i have seen post covid is 1100, a few private sales have been rumored around 900-1000, but i have not observed these personally

If we’re talking below market, my private sale Saginaw from 2019 was $300. I now have $93 in it since I sold the beat up I-cut, high wood Inland stock and two rivet IBM handguard and replaced them with postwar M2 wood.

A dealer buddy of mine was selling non-import marked M1 Carbines with flip sights and WWII wood for as cheap as $950 for most of 2019 and as late as early 2020 before COVID shut stuff down. They were in much nicer condition than the RTI Carbines in that price range that may or may not have had WWII features.

9Suo0hl.jpg

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I spent too much time contemplating selling a Winchester I got from Lou45 and now kind of talked myself out of selling. Especially with the hassle of the new laws. Winchester receiver, Winchester flat bolt, import marked Winchester barrel, think the stock had a W in the sling cut out before I stripped and refinished. Import stamped on the barrel, later rear site and bayonet lug. I believe that was like $650 many years ago. Have a Bavarian stock and a several 2 and 4 rivet handguards, NIW mags and 450rds of ammo. Never settled on a price to let it all go. Took it out once and had an issue with firing 1rd and ejecting 2 or more live rounds. Never got around to taking it back out or trying to diagnose the issue. Hoping it was the supplied mag, picked up more but haven't fired it since .And truth be told hesitated trying real hard since they haven't gotten any easier or cheaper to acquire. Got spoiled as the 1st I bought was a Rockola for $300 as a private sale half a lifetime ago and sold for money towards a down payment on my 1st house Not gonna find another like that or most likely what I paid for its replacement at Shooters Discount. I was very tempted to sell when I saw what people were paying for mixmasters though. Plus the safe would feel empty without a carbine, Garand and an M1A. Don't miss the 03s and 17s nearly as much as I'd regret not having a carbine.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads