• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I think the pinned and welded fix is for making a barrel length 16", not an overall length fix. I believe an 18" Tavor with the proper length muzzle device is good to go as far as OAL without pinning or welding the muzzle device on, I could be wrong though. Either way my 40th birthday present to myself will be an 18" Tavor in Black unless they offer an OD green model!:party29:

Unfortunately at 27 5/8" the 18-inch comes up a little short unpinned too: http://iwi.us/TAVOR/TAVOR-TSB18

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    The 26 1/8" is without the flash hider.
    The 16" Tavor is just over 27" OAL with flash hider.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    A 16" Tavor (not pinned/welded) is 26 1/8". It would be an NFA firearm if the flash hider was removed (<26").

So, I don't think the OAL needs to be measured with an extended muzzle device welded, but that's just my opinion and IANAL.

You are correct! No pinning to achieve OAL.... :thumbsup:

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    That's not what the IWI website says. It just lists "Overall Length" with no qualifiers.

You're right he web site does say 26 1/8" and they don't mention that's without flash hider.
    I was surprised myself but it makes sense. Why have a rifle that needs a tax stamp to change the flash hider or to run with a thread on suppressor.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    A 16" Tavor (not pinned/welded) is 26 1/8". It would be an NFA firearm if the flash hider was removed (<26").

So, I don't think the OAL needs to be measured with an extended muzzle device welded, but that's just my opinion and IANAL.

I completely agree OAL doesn’t need to be measured pinned/welded. Jed195 mentioned OAL being measured unpinned. My repeating “unpinned” in the reply was me agreeing with him on the method of measurement.

I just re-read what he wrote though and he did mention he’d be swapping in a proper length muzzle device anyway, which I didn’t see the first time…sometimes I just glance while working… :)

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    Show me where in MD law it says that OAL requires the muzzle device to be permanently attached. I'll wait, you'll be awhile. Federal law measures that for barrel length not OAL. To meet fed regulations you can permanently install a longer muzzle device on a 14.5 barrel to meet the 16" requirements. Maryland law does not state permanently attached, that which is not outlawed is by definition legal. If it were not legal there wouldn't be IPs selling them.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I never said it did. See my answer above.

Looking back a few posts, I don't think anyone came to that conclusion.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Should not be any reason you cannot use them in any carbine competition. Or in 3 gun.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Resurrecting this old thread as opposed to starting a new one. Four years on, how is everyone liking their Tavors?

I'm seriously considering one but the catch is that, in order to fund the purchase, I'd have to sell two other rifles: an SKS "Para" and a DR-200. I much prefer shooting my AK to the SKS Para and my ARs to the DR-200 so if it came to it, those would be the ones to go.

Is the Tavor good enough to warrant offloading two rare, collectible, but sort of mediocre to shoot rifles?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Resurrecting this old thread as opposed to starting a new one. Four years on, how is everyone liking their Tavors?

I'm seriously considering one but the catch is that, in order to fund the purchase, I'd have to sell two other rifles: an SKS "Para" and a DR-200. I much prefer shooting my AK to the SKS Para and my ARs to the DR-200 so if it came to it, those would be the ones to go.

Is the Tavor good enough to warrant offloading two rare, collectible, but sort of mediocre to shoot rifles?
    That question is best answered by yet another question.

You a shooter or collector?

I like my TAVOR enough to have made it the host for my FLIR and to have invested in Geissele trigger and trigger pack for it. Only downside I see in TAVOR so far is muscle memory gap between it and my ARs.

YMMV

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    That question is best answered by yet another question.

You a shooter or collector?

I like my TAVOR enough to have made it the host for my FLIR and to have invested in Geissele trigger and trigger pack for it. Only downside I see in TAVOR so far is muscle memory gap between it and my ARs.

YMMV

LOL, both, that's the dilemma. Probably more collect than shoot nowadays or maybe "store" is the operative word. Even a Tavor will spend much more time in my safe then it will at the range. I just don't have the time to shoot very often and I'm not shooting much on the job anymore. Even then, they put the kibosh on personal weapons at the work ranges a few years ago. But I hope I might at least take a Tavor to the range where the other two are always sidelined for rifles that are just more enjoyable and/or practical to shoot.

Do you enjoy shooting it as much as your ARs, at least with the trigger upgrade? I think that might be my benchmark. Perhaps a better question would be: Has anyone owned a Tavor for a while and decided they haven't really liked it? Or that they just haven't meshed with it and always leave it behind for an AR?

Another part of me wants to satisfy my renewed curiosity of bullpups. I manage tactical training courses for a living and in some cases the end user prefers weapons systems other than the M4 (AUGs have come up in the past). Previously I'd never given them much thought because I was always dealing with M4/derivatives but now that I'm seeing bullpups come up I'd like to kind of get a feel for the manual of arms and some of the peculiarities.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    My selection of the bullpup/Tavor was not logistics driven. It was all about compactness andnreported reliability. Cant admit to adequately testing reliability. Compactness drove decision to host thermal as most thermal use is scanning vs actuall shooting. Cant report on new trigger yet. Sumb1tch still in the box.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Cant admit to adequately teating reliability.

But the Israeli military has, and their very existence depends on reliability. Its a piston like an AK and the Garand, so you can probably feed it a ham sandwich and it will still work. There is a reason that the Galil and Tavor are piston driven, and that they are replacing the M4 with Tavors.

What I personally like about bullpups though is that a lot of the weight is in the back of the rifle. Makes it much easier to get/stay on target and IMO reduces recoil. Not that 556 has a lot of recoil, but I happen to know for a fact that the 308 bullpup is extremely manageable.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm a huge Tavor fan. I bought the IDF model and have loved it since day one. My Honey enjoys it as well. It's 100% reliable and plenty accurate. I've kept the original trigger pack in it and it does fatigue you eventually but that's an easy fix. Otherwise, I can't find anything negative to say. I'd trust my life to it and there are plenty of Israelis who do the same.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm strongly considering it at this point. Sounds like a MD-compliant Tavor with some trigger work is the way to go.

Now it's not an issue of whether or not I want to sell the two other rifles to fund a Tavor, it's now a question of working out the tricky logistics of selling them out of state and then finding a MD compliant Tavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom