• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    In my mailbox waiting for me this evening was two letters with Maryland seals on the return address. One from Delegate Ronsenberg and the other from Senator Kelly. Suspecting a bunch of us is going to get these over the weekend, I'll put mine up:

First, from Delegate Ronsenberg - a regular letter:

April 9, 2013​

Dear Mr. <Ouhuzo>

Thank you for your email regarding the protection of the Second Amendment. While I believe in the importance of our personal liberties, I also believe that personal safety is of the utmost importance.

In response to the concerns that the 2nd Amendment would be violated by these restrictions, I rely upon Justice Antonin Scalia's opinion in the case striking down a District of Columbia statute because it violated an individual's right to posess and use a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

"From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases," the Justice writes, the law was understood to mean that the Second Amendment "was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsover in any manner whatsover and for whatever purpose...Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in senitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commerical sale of arms."

I voted for Senate Bill 281 because it will reduce the risk of deadly violence upon innocent children and others. Maryland will be a safer place with stricter laws on who can purchase guns and a prohibition on automatic assault weapons. This legislation will also restrict acess to guns by individuals who have been committed for treatment of mental illness. In response, in part, to legislation that I introduced, Governor O'Malley budgeted an addition $5 million in services to the mentally ill before they reach the crisis stage.

Again, thank you for sharing your view with me on this important issue. Please do no hisitate to contact me about additional matters of concern.

Yours truly,
    Samuel I. "Sandy" Rosenberg
    41st Legislative District​

---------

The other is a mere newsletter from Senator Kelley titled: "Baltimore County Senator Delores G. Kelly 10th Legislative District 2013 Post Session Newsletter"

Issues on Which We Recieved the Most Communications Included:

2) Gun Safety Legislation, with SB 281, being the major piece of legislation, I recommend that constituents go to the Maryland General Assembly website and print a copy of the "Fiscal Note" for Senate Bill 281. The Bill deals with so many relevant situations and details that the "Fiscal Note" is 35 pages long. The Bill specifies the types of guns prohibited after October 1, 2014 for sale to new purchasers, but not prohibited to pre-existing owners. The Bill describes a new licensing scheme and the categories of persons exempted from licensing. The Bill specifies restrictions on possession of certain ammunition that has high magazine capacity, as well as certain duties an drequirements of firearms dealers.

There are mental health provisions, background check provisions, and possession prohibitions bases unpon a person's criminal background, if any. The Bill provides a great detail regarding what is, and is not a "regulated" firearm under Maryland law, as well as a summary of federal law, also applicable to gun sales by licensed firearm dealers.

Maryland is one of five states with any any firearms training requirements. Maryland also requires that owners of lost or stolen guns or ammunition file timely reports with the Maryland State Police. I voted for SB 281 since state and national polls show that 90% of all Americans favor additinoal gun safety, including universal background checks, and since all of our Constitutional rights have to also be balanced against the the need for public safety and the common good.

------

Okey, can anyone tell me where in SB281 that machineguns are any more banned that they are already? I have to read Del. Ronsenberg's letter twice to make sure I wasn't making a typo.

And how Justice Scalia's opinion is really being twisted to where now the 4th Circus considers the entire state a "senitive place," post-Heller?

And that the ongoing national "pity party" didn't cloud the Delegate's and Senator's judgment to ignore Ben Franklin's admomition that "[t]hey who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."?

And the law-biding voter is to be registred and fingerprinted like sex offenders and pay a poll-tax to exercise their fundamenal right just before the 2014 election? Way to go to remind the voter, if true!

And Sen. Kelley's "reliance" on a far-left university poll for her belief that Maryland's criminals and armed citizenry are the same thing? You know, the one we found but nobody else is mentioning: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=115258&highlight=source+90%

Boys and girls, these are going to be the talking points the Anti's are setting up for the upcoming elections, so we need to do our opposition research duty and support our DINO candidates in the primaries.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Automatic assault weapons?
    They really didn't listen to a single word of testimony, did they?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hearty facetious thanks to mental giants like Delegate Rosenberg for passing legislation that sets our country further down the road to an expanding, mob/gang-run black market for guns. Rosenberg should be proud of himself if/when the next nutcase does a mass shooting with an illegal machine gun from south of the border. It does not take much insight or intelligence to realize the danger forced upon us all by narrow-minded fools playing the role of uppity, clueless bourgeoisie in legislative bodies across the country.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Rosenberg is an unapologetic gun grabber.

I don't know if anyone caught this, but both me and John Josselyn got our digs in on him publicly in the House Judiciary hearings. As you may know, John and I are both on the HB618 Task Force (looking at the access of persons with mental illness to regulated firearms). Del Rosenberg said that the task force recommended that a $2 fee be added to handgun purchases and licensing to go toward mental illness. John got up and told the committee it wasn't true, and I got up and told the committee it wasn't true. Both of us looked right at him....wasn't huge, but he wasn't happy.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    The first letter proves that he has absolutely no idea what he even voted for despite the congressional page-style research points included by way of ctrl+c, ctrl+v.

The second newsletter is so replete with poor grammar, spelling and typos that my 11-year old was laughing while verbally correcting them.

Small wonder our national legacy is being flushed down the shi++er when THESE are examples of the "leadership" we are expected to fall in behind...the local village idiot! :rolleyes:

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    and since all of our Constitutional rights have to also be balanced against the the need for public safety and the common good.

Wat8.jpg

Swearing to uphold the Constitution doesn't mean cut corners.

Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    The second newsletter is so replete with poor grammar, spelling and typos that my 11-year old was laughing while verbally correcting them.
    Had to VEERRRY carefully checked to make sure what I typed matched exactly what was written. Wasn't easy.

Oh, if intrested, I can scan and post, with the required redacting.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In my mailbox waiting for me this evening was two letters with Maryland seals on the return address. One from Delegate Ronsenberg and the other from Senator Kelly. Suspecting a bunch of us is going to get these over the weekend, I'll put mine up:

First, from Delegate Ronsenberg - a regular letter:

April 9, 2013​

Dear Mr. <Ouhuzo>

Thank you for your email regarding the protection of the Second Amendment. While I believe in the importance of our personal liberties, I also believe that personal safety is of the utmost importance.

In response to the concerns that the 2nd Amendment would be violated by these restrictions, I rely upon Justice Antonin Scalia's opinion in the case striking down a District of Columbia statute because it violated an individual's right to posess and use a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

"From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases," the Justice writes, the law was understood to mean that the Second Amendment "was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsover in any manner whatsover and for whatever purpose...Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in senitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commerical sale of arms."

I voted for Senate Bill 281 because it will reduce the risk of deadly violence upon innocent children and others. Maryland will be a safer place with stricter laws on who can purchase guns and a prohibition on automatic assault weapons. This legislation will also restrict acess to guns by individuals who have been committed for treatment of mental illness. In response, in part, to legislation that I introduced, Governor O'Malley budgeted an addition $5 million in services to the mentally ill before they reach the crisis stage.

Again, thank you for sharing your view with me on this important issue. Please do no hisitate to contact me about additional matters of concern.

Yours truly,
    Samuel I. "Sandy" Rosenberg
    41st Legislative District​

------------
    Okey, can anyone tell me where in SB281 that machineguns are any more banned that they are already? I have to read Del. Ronsenberg's letter twice to make sure I wasn't making a typo.

And how Justice Scalia's opinion is really being twisted to where now the 4th Circus considers the entire state a "senitive place," post-Heller?

And that the ongoing national "pity party" didn't cloud the Delegate's and Senator's judgment to ignore Ben Franklin's admomition that "[t]hey who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."?

And the law-biding voter is to be registred and fingerprinted like sex offenders and pay a poll-tax to exercise their fundamenal right just before the 2014 election? Way to go to remind the voter, if true!

And Sen. Kelley's "reliance" on a far-left university poll for her belief that Maryland's criminals and armed citizenry are the same thing? You know, the one we found but nobody else is mentioning: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=115258&highlight=source+90%

Boys and girls, these are going to be the talking points the Anti's are setting up for the upcoming elections, so we need to do our opposition research duty and support our DINO candidates in the primaries.

Rosenberg was the idiot that made the comment on the House Floor that "there is no such thing as inalienable rights."

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Automatic assault weapons?
    They really didn't listen to a single word of testimony, did they?

That was such a glaring error. I cannot believe the writer actually had the stomach to read through all of Heller and then not understand what an automatic weapon is after listening to testimony and phone calls from constituents.

If you guys do not vote out these morons, God help us. It is sad that these morons think they can fool us with letters like this. Thing is, they WILL fool most of the people that do not understand the intricacies. I cannot do anything in my district because ALL my delegates voted NO on SB281 and have written me letters about the Good, Bad, and Ugly. About the best thing they have to mention out of this legislative session is that softshell crab sandwiches are the official sandwich of Maryland. That is the best thing there was. It is sad.

Me, I am going to work on Montgomery County because that is where I was born and raised and have the most contacts. You guys need to work on as many voters as possible and get them to understand this. If each of us can recruit 5 to 10 DINO's in these democrat laden districts, we might stand a chance of getting these people out. They have to pay for what they did.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    Yes, I got two letters (on the fancy letterhead) from Del Zucker. The first one was specifically focused on gun control. It basically acknowledged that I contacted him in opposition and then proceeded to tell me why he was right (knew better). There was something about even though we didn't agree on this there were certainly other areas where we could and to contact his office etc. Nope, I am now a single issue voter. I know my blood pressure went up several points while reading it.

I then got another more general letter listing all of the great things they did this session and specifically how much money he brought into our district. While some of the projects were for a school and the fire dept, they are also funding the remodel of our local community theater (where the tickets are expensive). In a session where they raised our taxes so much (gas, rain, wind power) I had to wonder if all of these projects were absolutely necessary. I guess his stance would be that they would have raised the taxes anyway and at least he got the District their share.

I really hope Operation DINO has some influence. Although uber-liberal areas like Mo Co are going to be a challenge.

tjv4163

Jun 27, 2012
    21234 city side
    Send this back and ask if he only reads what he wants to..... We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of “dangerous and unusual weapons.” See 4 Blackstone 148–149 (1769); 3 B. Wilson, Works of the Honourable James Wilson 79 (1804); J. Dunlap, The New-York Justice 8 (1815); C. Humphreys, A Compendium of the Common Law in Force in Kentucky 482 (1822); 1 W. Russell, A Treatise on Crimes and Indictable Misdemeanors 271–272 (1831); H. Stephen, Summary of the Criminal Law 48 (1840); E. Lewis, An Abridgment of the Criminal Law of the United States 64 (1847); F. Wharton, A Treatise on the Criminal Law of the United States 726 (1852). See also State v. Langford, 10 N. C. 381, 383–384 (1824); O’Neill v. State, 16Ala. 65, 67 (1849); English v. State, 35Tex. 473, 476 (1871); State v. Lanier, 71 N. C. 288, 289 (1874).

It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment ’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

Stealthbmbr

Mar 26, 2013
    I got this email from Pamela G. Beidle. Not everyone voted for SB281.

"Dear (Stealthbmbr):

Thank you for contacting me. The 2013 Maryland General Assembly has come to a close. It was a very difficult session filled with important, controversial issues. I am truly looking forward to a break from the action.

The Governor’s Firearm Safety Act legislation (SB 281/HB 294) caused controversy in both the House and Senate. I voted “No” on this bill. While I did not disagree with the entire bill, I did disagree with the list of guns that were banned. The bills passed both the House and the Senate with the same amendments. The good news is that the State Police will have a new facility and technology for the licensing operation. They currently work in a facility that has no windows and one fax machine. It is my opinion that a referendum question on this issue is highly probable. My office heard from over 800 citizens in opposition to the Firearm bill and about 20 people in support of the bill that I represent in District 32. We heard from thousands of others in opposition from around the State.

The Governor’s Budget included 25 million to increase school security across the State including funds to support the Center for School Safety under the auspices of the Maryland State Police. Anne Arundel County School security is far ahead of other counties and other states. Earlier in the session, we had a Delegation presentation from the Board of Education and the Anne Arundel County Police Department regarding school security. Our security systems includes: video buzzers at every school, and Police Resource Officers at all high schools and 6 of our middle schools. The Anne Arundel County Public School Officials have been invited to speak to other school systems, both in state and out-of-state to present the security program that we already have in place.

If you are interested in the outcome of any other bill, the status can be found on the General Assembly website: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov or you may contact my office.

I appreciate your comments and opinions that you share with me. During the interim my office returns to part-time, my Legislative Assistant Nancy Crawford will be available generally on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Please continue to stay in touch and be sure to include your full name and mailing address.

My contact information is: Pamela.beidle@house.state.md.us or (410)841-3370.

Thank you for allowing me to serve as your representative in the House of Delegates, it is truly my honor.

Pamela G. Beidle
    Delegate, District 32
    (410)841-3370
    Environmental Matters Committee
    Subcommittees:
    Environment
    Housing and Real Property"

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I'm half joking when I say that if these are such "sensible gun laws" shouldn't we apply the same logic to politicians? I mean look at how many criminals get into office and destroy cities with their power or end up arrested. Seems like finger printing, criminal and mental health checks along with training and licensing might help. I mean think of the children!

Sadly, we see the results of long term liberal rule on cities. In Freakonomics they showed the cost on the citizens and their cities from long term liberal policies.

JmFinksburg

JmFinksburg
    May 15, 2012
    Carroll Co.
    I'm getting them also and as an added kick, I have a lib friend who sends me the emails that MOM sends out crowing about how the latest changes are a move forward. It appears that they will make criminals out of law abiding citizens and haven't done anything except add more taxes to the people who own or wish to own firearms. Unfortunately we are fighting a loosing battle because of the overwhelming following the Dems currently possess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom