• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Picking up a DD5 Ambush 308 tomorrow and looking to get a scope for it. Never shot much more than 300 yards so 3-9's have been my go to. Would like to try to reach out to 600 or so yards. Looking for something around $500 to get me started so I can figure out what I actually like. Would eventually like to get out to 1000 yards so a scope with a decent reticle that can help me learn the basics of long range shooting would be nice. What do you guys recommend?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Milletts seem to be either quite good, or horribly bad. From scope to scope, not just model to model.

Personally, I would step up to a Vortex Viper PST. Good scope, works well out to 1000+ (I have made shots at 1200 yards with my .308 bolt).

In optics especially, Buy Once, Cry Once.

Buy something decent to start, otherwise you will spend more buying several times.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Milletts seem to be either quite good, or horribly bad. From scope to scope, not just model to model.

Personally, I would step up to a Vortex Viper PST. Good scope, works well out to 1000+ (I have made shots at 1200 yards with my .308 bolt).

Buy something decent to start, otherwise you will spend more buying several times.

This. Or check out the Athlon Argos if 500 is really your limit. They make nice scopes for the money.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    So many choices for a reticle. Worried about spending big once and finding out I would of preferred something else. Guess I need to research the reticles available on the vortex before I drop the additional money.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I put one of these on my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. With a 20 MOA base it should have enough adjustment to get you out past 1200 yards. Although I have not shot mine at distance so far so good and it comes with the VORTEX no questions asked warranty. I paid $269 shipped.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...actical-4-12x40-riflescope-with-vmr-1-reticle

I also picked up the sunshade for this scope.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-tactical-riflescope-sunshade

Here is a good video explaining what a 20 MOA base does to extend the adjustment of the scope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwl9rzASOfU

Last edited:

Major03

Ultimate Member

:thumbsup:

Pinecone is exactly right. Careful consideration now (and maybe stretching your budget) will save you frustration and spending more in the long run.

Something to consider, in budget scopes you get what you pay for. If it's a scope in the $500 or below range with side parralax adjustment, variable power, illuminated reticle, "tactical" turrets and other such features, they're making up for it with cheaper construction and lower quality glass.

If you're looking to shoot at the distances you've said, you want good glass more than anything. Cheaper glass that has lots of magnification with crappy resolution and light gathering won't help you at distance as much as glass that is clear and bright but lower magnification.

USMC snipers are generally considered the best (or at least among the best) tactical shooters in the world, and for many many years they had a fixed 10X scope. The Unertl has great glass, so it worked.

If you're looking at below $800, my recommendation would be to get a good fixed power scope with great glass. Not the only option, but one to consider. I have one on an M1A that I'm more than happy with.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

If you're willing to pay double that...I have this scope on a Remington 700P and it's great. Bombproof and fantastic glass. It's not a S&B or Hensoldt, but then again it's less than 1/2 the price.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

Sadly...shooting in general, and long range shooting in particular ain't a cheap hobby.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 is the best scope you will get for the money. 13% off at Optics Planet using code “RIFLE13”
    $548.09 shipped.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon...rect-dial-side-focus-aprs2-ffp-mil-retic.html

Discussion on Snipers Hide:
    http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/anyone-try-the-athlon-midas-tac-yet.6889094/

Agreed on the Athlon, just decide MOA or MIL and make sure the reticle matches the adjustment and buy it. You'll be surprised how good the glass is.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I like the idea of spending more money once and getting what I want. I just don't have the experience yet to know what I will want. Maybe I will try and go to a long range match as a spectator and talk to some people. Figure out what the majority of those guys are using. I would like to stay under $1000 for this one.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    For a semi auto I wouldn't throw down too much money on a scope especially if you don't have any preferences on reticle, focal plane, turrets, illumination etc. The Primary arms 4-14 DMR has a nice reticle for a semi .308. I have one on my AR10 and it works well. Or this is nice for a fixed 10X https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-102331.html or this https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bushn...MIrOqNtI_E2wIVh8VkCh2Fww6dEAYYASABEgIrrPD_BwE

Get yourself a good mount with at least 20MOA of elevation to take advantage of the internal adjustment in the turrets. I honestly don't car too much about the reticle since I dial at range, a standard mil dot will do you fine. All I really need is good turrets and a duplex. The milling reticles are nice if you need quick follow up shots for hold overs but not 100% necessary.

Watch the Tibosaurus rex youtube videos on scope choices it'll give you a lot of info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpBxLbxhAo

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Decide now if you're shooting milradian or MOA and as mentioned make sure the turrets and reticle are the same unit of measure. I prefer MOA because that's how I learned to shoot irons. For precision long range you want either a mildot in milradians or something like the Nightforce MOAR in MOA. Go look and read on the Nightforce site, even of the scopes are out of your price range the information is worth reading.

Buy once, cry once. A truly good scope is a lifetime investment.

HD1200S

May 6, 2013
    Good Glass

Does anyone have any experience with Tract brand optics? I've read they are high end optics at a reasonable price point. Any opinions?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you look around, you may be able to score a Vortex Viper HS-T for under/close to $500.

Been using one on my .260 for a few years now. 6-24x56, I've never felt the need to go past 18x - at 500/600 yards, 18x has been plenty. Available in MOA or Mil, zero-stop, decent feel on turret adjustments. It's a good medium ground to get you going, and can hold you over for a while if you're hesitant about dropping more than $600/$700 out of the gate.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    i have been running the swfa 12x fixed and i love it. good glass, repeatable adjustments, simple mil quad reticle. if you are just punching paper or ringing steel for fun, its a good option.

i just started competing and realized i needed variable power. i got the midas tac on a sweet open box demo deal after the nra show. so far i love it. solid clicks, simple reticle, factory zero stop, tracks repeatably in the limited testing i've been able to do and the glass seems pretty good for the price.

there are always a ton of deals out there on used scopes out there. there is a whole forum on snipers hide devoted to selling scopes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As long as the turrets and reticle match, mils versus MOA doesn't matter. As you will be spotting corrections using the reticle.

It becomes a big deal if you have a spotter, as you both need to be talking the same language. Most long range shooters seem to be mil these days.

The SWFA fixed power scopes are a GREAT bargain for very good glass. Cheaper because of no variable power parts.

Just remember, in optics, you get what you pay for, most of the time. And the rule of thumb is, optics cost = rifle cost. People buy $1000+ rifles, and then put $100 optics on them, and then can't figure out why the guy next to them with a $600 rifle and a $600 optic, outshoots them. :D

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I'll just add that F class and professional tactical shooters often spend up to 3x what their custom rifle costs in glass. That is definitely NOT a recommendation for 95 - 98% of our shooters here (myself included), but just a frame of reference to what Pinecone is saying. No, you don't have to spend $3-5K on great glass to shoot well out to 1000 YDs and beyond (if you can even find the range around here that'll get you out there). But, there is a difference in quality for the extra money.

You can get a functional scope that will work and work really well for $1500 and under (sometimes in the fixed power scopes like the SWFA line for under $400), but it won't be world class glass. Then again, who cares? Only a very few should.

I'd say it's pretty similar to getting a stock Remington 700P that will shoot around 1 MOA or just under vs spending a LOT more to get to custom rifle from a renowned rifle smith that will shoot .5 MOA or less. Few can shoot the difference anyway, and for the VAST majority of shooters the extra money isn't going to be worth it. They'd be better off investing that money in ammo and shooting more. But, you also don't want to buy an off the rack Remington with a pencil barrel and a flimsy tupperware stock for a couple of hundred less than the stock 700P if you're planning on shooting long range either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom