• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD Mike

Jan 20, 2010
    Western, MD
    Anyone know of a good site or sticky somewhere to cover the beginner basics of reloading for those of us getting into it? I am slightly interested and have a friend who is getting ready to start, just trying to find some info to see if it would be worth buying into. Thanks in advance.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think that just about any good book can get you going. Reloading isn't exactly rocket science (unless you are a benchrest shooter, in which case it kind of does resemble rocket science) and in many applications - reloading for .45 ACP for example, there's a pretty wide variance of what you can use in terms of bullet types, weights, powders and powder charges. In many ways it's kind of like baking a cake - you have a recipe of ingredients that you use and you carefully follow a specific process for putting it together.

Lee makes a pretty good book, I've heard good things about "The ABC's of Reloading" and there are a lot of other books that can be had from Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon, Speer, etc.

Just jump in - get a Lee Anniversary/Challenger press kit, get some components and just go for it!

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    This website w/ its many pages was pretty useful for me:

http://stevespages.com/table3.html

Especially some of his work on pressure signs, an area all new reloaders need to learn first and well.

Also, use the search function here on MDShooters. I can't tell you how many great old posts are on here. Once you get a specific question, search here first and you will almost always find an answer.

Youtube has got a lot of reloading instructional videos, if you are a visual learner. Just search there for "rifle reloading" or "pistol reloading".

XD Mike

Jan 20, 2010
    Western, MD
    Cool, thanks for all the links, guess I'll start my reading and see if it's worth it for me. I mainly plan on reloading 45 ACP & .223 / 5.56 at this point.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    As far as being "worth it", yes, it is if you actually shoot. There is NO WAY I can/could have shot as much, or as well as I do/have without reloading.

The above says it all.
    Even back then when I started things were cheaper "but" some of the rounds "had" to be reloaded as no-one had factory ammo. Once fired brass in many cases I was given literally crate fulls.Now with the cost of ammo now which is slowly coming down, wolf, surplus ammo. Reloading can save you some to lots of money, for example what's a box of .338 Lapua cost vs. reloading a box?

The expense of the start up is the main thing, but will pay off down the road. The equipment will last for years if you take care of it. I have dies and presses 20+ years old still work like the first day.

There are plenty of books and the "internet" on reloading, starting to reload as noted above. Also by being a member here you are provided with a wealth of information, old / new, nothing can replace experience, some may have "pet loads" worked up loads that work well in their gun, and some of these can be used as a base to start your own "pet load" Some is the "satisfaction" of reloading for that one gun or several. Some start out with simple single stage presses to progressive loaders. Some of us are set in our ways, some of us just knows what works. But here at Maryland Shooters there is a wealth of information. If we don't know it we will try to point you in the right direction. I have learned alot from E.Shell in his posts which condenses it down instead of reading page after page..even at my ole age.

Maryland Shooters is my first stop, there is another one for the M14/M1A that is my second stop and found some loading data for 7.62 with IMR8208 to help me develop loads for the M1A.
    And no this is not a paid announcement ....:)

Rock

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee, helped get me started. That being said, I highly suggest that you get two different manuals, as they all have valuable information, presented different ways. I recommend Sierra's manual, as well as Hornady's.

Hope this helps.

MH

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    This website w/ its many pages was pretty useful for me:

http://stevespages.com/table3.html

Especially some of his work on pressure signs, an area all new reloaders need to learn first and well.

Also, use the search function here on MDShooters. I can't tell you how many great old posts are on here. Once you get a specific question, search here first and you will almost always find an answer.

Youtube has got a lot of reloading instructional videos, if you are a visual learner. Just search there for "rifle reloading" or "pistol reloading".

love steves pages :thumbsup:

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I just started reloading. I love doing it as i feel it helps inspire me to shoot better and alot more often.

I f you buy a kit. Read the manual that comes with it. After reading that book and the info that comes with the die set you get and so on, you should be ready to start loading. I felt it would be difficult until i started doing it. Some of my first rounds were just as good or better then any ammo i ever bought. It is not rocket science. Just take your time & read the info, and build a bench and go to it.

Here are some sites that might help you

Read tools of the trade 1,2,3 I found it to be good info on tools needed.

http://www.optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/tools-of-the-trade/4529825076

redoktober

I started a similar thread not long ago...I agree that a sticky would be awesome for newbies. Still undecided if I want to get into reloading hunting rifle and handgun cartridges. Seems like I could get my first batch going for roughly the cost of a new handgun or rifle.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Lot's of videos on YouTube too, take them with a grain of salt like anything else by amateurs though. I watched YouTube vids, read online articles for about a month, then just jumped in to it. I've done .38, 9mm, .45, and .44 special. I stopped doing 9mm due to the time issue versus low cost factory ammo available. My favorite load I developed so far is a 44special loading with Titegroup using Hornady XTP .44 mag JHP bullets.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most thick reloading manuals will will give at least a decent overview .
    Of the lesser known websites, "The Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith" are particularily accesable for newbies.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you only shoot bulk 9mm fmj , or blasting grade .223 at close range your reloads can be more accurate and consistant at only a marginal price advantage . If you only one group to verify sight settings, then make a one shot kill on Bambi, then just buy a box every 3 or 4 years.
    For actual SD use buy suitable factory loads, and rotate fresh every 6-12 months.
    For everything else loading your own is the only way to go.

M1hungry

May 29, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Everything posted above is true. I have reloaded since getting into shooting some 35 years ago and cannot imagine the $$$$ saved. Unless you want to shoot a LOT dont get hooked on buying the top of the line and most expensive of everything--takes away the savings. For someone shooting for sport a single stage press like a Rock Chucker is all that is needed. I personally don't like the electronic scales and prefer the beam. Buy powder bullets and primers at gun shows and save on shipping and hazmat fees. For Brass check out Brass Man Brass for both new or once fired. The most important thing is to take your time and be sure your head is screwed on right when loading. Guns will never mix with drugs and alcohol.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    There is a lot of real good stuff on-line on the AR-15 site.

The stickies at the top of the page have been screened by experienced re-loaders, so it may be more factual than somebody who threw their ideas up on youtube.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=42

How-to web articles are an excellent source of information to open your mind to the basic procedures, vocabulary, equipment and tricks. But always be wary of the source of the information on the web.

Always ask questions about anything you're not sure of, as you did with your post here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom