• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Just a thought, now that I have goodnaturedly mocked your gun. Really, it looks great. Would never have thought white, but it works really well.

Any thoughts about scuffs or marks, or is it largely resistant to them?

Yes and no. I cured the paint so it is ultra hard, as hard as paint can be. Scuffs can be buffed out. The paint is polished and waxed for the finish. This means it is smooth as can be, BUT it shows dirty or oily fingerprints like crazy, like a piano. Luckily the finish is smooth enough that almost everything wipes off unless the contaminate attacks the paint like brake fluid.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Yes and no. I cured the paint so it is ultra hard, as hard as paint can be. Scuffs can be buffed out. The paint is polished and waxed for the finish. This means it is smooth as can be, BUT it shows dirty or oily fingerprints like crazy, like a piano. Luckily the finish is smooth enough that almost everything wipes off unless the contaminate attacks the paint like brake fluid.

Looks great. I agree that it doesn't have to be "traditional" to be a nice looking gun.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Looks great. I agree that it doesn't have to be "traditional" to be a nice looking gun.

I wish you could see it in person. Too bad you flaked off to North Cackalacky. Boo!

This thread is not about my white gun*. I know a lot of MDS have cool Mini-14s

*If you see someone shooting a white Mini-14 at your range, that is most likely me, say hello.

You have a post 2005 model don't you?
    Me? No mine is old school bought for a silly low price. With gun + paint + mods I have less than $300 in the gun. Oddly I just out shot my buddies match grade AR (he is a better shooter than me) at 25 yards. That may have been an anomaly, but I am not complaining.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Fair play. I was going for a new interpretation of firearms. They do not have to look scary to be meat ax lethal.

I had a lot of ideas about colors, pin stripes, and Ruger logos. I went simple to not overstate the gun. Good luck!

Thank you. Flash hiders are a DC and CA thing. DC mostly follows CA laws. ATF was able to differentiate the difference between a rifle flash hider and a muzzle brake. Flash hider makes the Mini an assault rifle and muzzle brake is perfectly legal. IMHO what I have looks and functions exactly like a flash hider, but I would never argue with ATF. I follow the law.

Hey not criticizing, just what popped into my head. I have some pretty wacky stuff myself.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Hey not criticizing, just what popped into my head. I have some pretty wacky stuff myself.

My fault entirely. I speak 1/2 British and 1/2 American english based on my upbringing and life. 'Fair play' means I appreciate your opinion, no offense taken. Sorry I poorly translated. I sometimes confuse American and British speak. It sounded right to me when I posted..

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Me? No mine is old school bought for a silly low price. With gun + paint + mods I have less than $300 in the gun. Oddly I just out shot my buddies match grade AR (he is a better shooter than me) at 25 yards. That may have been an anomaly, but I am not complaining.

Mmm mine is a 1993 or around in there and your sights are different thats why i asked.

Thats an awesome price if you wanna sell let me know i'll add another Ruger.:party29:

cad424

Apr 28, 2010
    Texas!
    A mini 14 at Wal Mart? I've never seen that down here in 2A friendly Texas. I can't believe you found one in the people's republic. I would have bought it for that price.

gigawatt

Mar 6, 2009
    I recall seeing a mini 14 at a walmart somewhere in southern Md about six or seven years ago. Can't remember where, i was only working in the area for one day. Anyway, here is my 580 series.

20100318_7277-1.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My Mini was traded a cpl yr ago. But more recently I stumbled on my default color scheme. Depending wether Krylon or Derusto brand it's called either Spruce Green or Italian Olive. Side by side can't tell the difference. Goes well with blued, doesn't look Strange Ranger-ish , etc actually blends in well in the woods. My recent Marlin 795 got painted before being fired the first time.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    im very much a purist/originalist when it comes to guns, and i love nothing better than a wood stock, but i have to say that looks pretty damn sharp, simple, elegant and functional with a great contrast.

here's mine with its older relative, nothing special just your run of the mill ranch rifle, but i like it, need to get some large factory mags though, only have the small one that came with it and some cheapos that dont work so great.

i put an old style m16 web sling on mine fits well.

slings.jpg

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    here's mine with its older relative, nothing special just your run of the mill ranch rifle, but i like it, need to get some large factory mags though, only have the small one that came with it and some cheapos that dont work so great.

CDNNsports.com has them for 24.99 and 29.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom