• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    A seemingly mundane post was made on the DC local dog list serve. The call was to sign a petition to stop the euthanasia of a service dog of a disabled veteran. The dog bit a woman who admittedly was abusing the dog with a metal pole.
    Here is the interesting part. The petition site looks normal on a PC:
    dutch1a.jpg

The website looks a bit different on a phone:

dutch2m.jpg

Everyone signing the petition is unknowingly supporting Mayors Against Illegal Guns. There is no way on PC to even see the check box. By default it is checked as, "Yes". They have close to 300,000 signatures for the dog and Bloomberg. Not that it would be unlikely for Mayors Against Illegal Guns to manipulate data, but this is downright fraudulent data collection.:mad54:

If NRA pulled this kind of bait and switch it would be national news.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I understand that politicians fail to truly represent the people and often pursue their own personal agendas and that is egregious....I have no words to describe how much worse it is to fake support for their personal causes...well at least none I can share with kids in the room!

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    Looks like that option is auto-clicked for several petitions. Just did a random check of about 10 an it showed up on 3, including one asking the Islamists in Mali to not use child soldiers (the naivete of do-gooders astounds me). Looks like the site is openly allied with Bloomberg so maybe they offer the Mayors' box as an automatic option for folks starting a petition and the authors just go with the flow? Regardless, someone will add all those clicked codes up and say eleventy billion people agree with Bloomberg.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I understand that politicians fail to truly represent the people and often pursue their own personal agendas and that is egregious....I have no words to describe how much worse it is to fake support for their personal causes...well at least none I can share with kids in the room!

Most people appreciate disabled veterans and their service dogs. To secretly attach any unrelated political cause is dirty pool.:tdown:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I can't find anything in the source code of the web based petition. Either they are hiding it very well, or it's something weird.

I see it on my phone though.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    At that rate, why even have a checkbox? If it's that blatantly fraudulent, they'd be better off just inventing stats. Would be just as deceitful, and easier!

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Out of curiosity, went to the site on the PC. No sign of a check box for something else that you guys are finding on your phones. All I got is a dumb phone so I can't check there, but interestingly they list the folks who have signed this and it looks on the last page that fully more than three quarters are from overseas. I hope the other side does not think they can present polls taken world wide and get away with it. Oh and it looks like the dog won't get put down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom