• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I was told the yugo firing pins without the springs were more prone to slam firing. Is there and validity to that statement?

There is that possibility. Mostly because the firing pin is coated in rust because the gun has been neglected and can slide back in the bolt. Then when the charging handle is released it just starts firing. I see the videos on youtube. That's one reason I may get a Murray's pin. I little prevention is worth a pound of stitches.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Only if you sell firing pins W/springs :D

+1

Just keep them clean, I have received some that had rust and other stuff on them that wouldnt come off with the normal cleaning, I hit the firing pin sides with a wire brush or wheel if that bad, Then reassemble and keep checking to make sure when im done it "rattles" when shaken back and forth.

Also, To Date every SKS I have gotten online(13-15) with the exception of Two Have had firing pins that were gunked up and when first stripped, the pins wouldnt rattle:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Let me think here for a second...
    I seem to remember there are a few U.S. Military rifles that have "free floating" firing pins that somehow never needed a spring like :
    M1 Garand
    M14
    M-16
    There are a whole host of foreign military rifles as well besides the SKS.
    IMHO this was started because of the huge influx of SKS rifles that came packed tight with cosmoline including the bolt.
    I have personal expierence seeing SKS rifles that the idiot buyers only cleared the bore on and then fired them.
    If the bolt if packed tight with gunk/cosmoline ...yes it will slam fire.
    On the other hand have you ever heard of a catastrophic failure of a SKS rifle because of a slam fire ?
    Let me answer it for you...NO.
    The fear of a slam fire ending in death or injury is way over played like the fear of headspace on milsurplus rifles because of the interweb and greedy people selling the items they want you to believe "you can't live without".

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I was told the yugo firing pins without the springs were more prone to slam firing. Is there and validity to that statement?

Yes. My bolt and firing pin was cosmolined up so much the pin was not exactly free floating. I am pretty sure if I fired corrosive ammo and left it to sit it could corrode into a dangerous situation.

The easy solution was to take the bolt apart (very easy) clean the cosmo and keep good maintenance on the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom