• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I have never gone turkey hunting before, but this year I want to give it a try. I have heard that a guided hunt will help since a lot of turkey hunting is calling the bird. Any other tips would really help. Thanks everyone.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm with you on this one....have casually hunted turkey in my backyard for a few years. I can get them talking.... but have never gotten one close enough to take a shot. Its been like 5 years, I think I totally SUCK and am going to give up if nothing this year.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I went with my dad the first time when I was 14. I bagged my first bird 15 minutes after the sun broke. He always says I was really lucky.

I recommend practicing calling. That's the only skill you really need to learn before going out. The rest of it is sitting very still and waiting. I've had other hunts where the bird outsmarted me. I used a decoy which works sometimes but this time the bird came up from behind me with the sun to it's back. I got impatient and looked back over my shoulder to see where the bird was and he saw me and took off. I've also hunted out of deer stands in NY. The stand was nice because the birds don't look up. My dad likes to use a ground blind but I find they block my field of view. If you are sitting on the ground get a comfy cushion to sit on. I don't recommend using a stool. I usually just sit nest to a big tree on the ground.

Calling is key. If you can master a mouth call it is the best since it leaves your hands free and you can cluck while you get you bead on the bird. Box calls work well too. They make a push type variety you can tape to your shotgun so you can hold your gun and use the call at the same time.

Like I said 90% of it is learning how to call and being patient. No big movements and don't get excited when you see that tom working his way towards you. Good luck!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Here are a couple of things to remember

If you get a gobbler all worked up to where he is instantly answering all of your calls,sometimes its best to stop all calling.That makes him think you lost interest and he will come looking for the hen who just dumped him.

If a tom has been gobbling to your calls and he stops gobbling,it doesnt mean he went away.He could be coming in silently.A hen could have slipped in.He might see another tom and doesnt want to get his butt spanked.Again....dont make any sounds or movements for awhile...up to 30 minutes or so.Just let it play out.

Patience cant be stressed enough.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    What is a good way to find a good spot? Saw a turkey on my trail cam last November. Is it kind of like deer where they are pretty much everywhere?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The best method I have found for locating birds is to go out late on the day before the hunt as they prepared to go to roost. Use an owl call and they will gobble back giving you an idea of where to set up in the morning.
    A box call is the easiest for a novice to use effectively but practice with it first until you are comfortable with it.
    Use camo on everything including your face. They see very well! Be as still as possible and move slowly.
    I have had a lot of success in the past. I sure do miss being able to hunt the "ghost of the woods".
    As someone else said, make sure that you know how your shotgun will pattern with your chosen ammo. You want to keep shot out of the meat so aim for the head. Know your weapon for best results.
    Enjoy your experience and good luck. Even if not successful, you will surely learn from it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Rule no 1 hunt where Turkeys are in abundance.
    Don’t over call. Start with a yelp, avoid making a putt (alarm) If you get a gobble, don’t over do it, once they hear you, they know exactly where your at.
    Remember to call hens, the gobblers will follow. Yelling to a gobbler is opposite the way it works in nature, (confusing isn’t it)
    If a gobbler closes in and goes silent, it’s not over he may be trying to get behind you.
    Hens that have been bred, will go to sit. This is when the gobblers begins to roam and often clam up. Usually around 0900 hrs. Don’t give up, a lot of birds are killed in the last half hour.
    Pattern your gun, camo up especially your face. No glare on any gear.
    If you can roost birds great, if not see rule one. Follow through on your shot. Know the terrain and habitat. If it’s raining, get to a field or remain in broken woods if you can, avoid briars because of predation instincts.
    If you bust up a flock or spook some, quickly move to another spot and call the hens.
    Call loud enough for them to hear you, if one is closing distance rapidly, get ready and into shooting position, if they are hanging up, they are with a hen and or strutting.
    Try not to shake if you get surrounded with hens, keep your focus.
    Have fun and keep at it, the more you go the more you learn and enjoy.

One other thing, dress warm it’s not summertime yet.
    Well one other, if you haven’t had an op to roost some birds, just slam the tailgate when you get dressed, sometimes they’ll gobble and you can get in close for fly down like that.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    There is a huge difference in private ground compared to public ground.

Face punch reminds me of yet another of the great ironies of moving where we have:

In our old sub-div in So. Calvert County, whitetail deer would practically stick their heads in our cars, they were so conditioned to human presence. You were lucky to ever get within 100 yards of let alone see wild turkeys, however ...

Move to the Foothills and the whitetail herds act like they’ve been shot at, when you’re in your vehicle and still a mile away. And yet, it is nothing for anywhere from 2 to as many as 30 wild turkeys to literally walk right across the road, causing you to slam on your brakes!

The irony, I tell ya ... :shrug:

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Success starts with a property that supports a turkey population. Good luck finding that, $$$$.

IMHO, turkey hunting is far more exciting than an other hunting.

Here are a couple of things to remember

If you get a gobbler all worked up to where he is instantly answering all of your calls,sometimes its best to stop all calling.That makes him think you lost interest and he will come looking for the hen who just dumped him.

If a tom has been gobbling to your calls and he stops gobbling,it doesnt mean he went away.He could be coming in silently.A hen could have slipped in.He might see another tom and doesnt want to get his butt spanked.Again....dont make any sounds or movements for awhile...up to 30 minutes or so.Just let it play out.

Patience cant be stressed enough.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    To start, I would get a call wooden call box. The mouth reeds takes practice. Get a real tree style umbrella and put a hole in it. Don’t forget a pole or stick to keep your muzzle up. Old yoga mat to sit on.

I went turkey hunting in the past at mytle grove wma, no luck. But heard turkeys or other hunters. Less you carry the better. You have to get there early in the morning before any birds start their morning.

Few calls once the woods starts getting busy with other birds churping. Then chill. It’s like when you go to work early in the morning, and you hear that first crow or bird, you know exactly which direction it’s coming from.

Less stuff the better. It always use to spook me out when walking into the wood in total darkness and hear bushes shake around me.

Best of luck. Makes me want to go again. Lol

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I know where there is an easy one. This jerk has been hanging out outside my apartment for months because people won't stop feeding him. He frequently attacks my cars and blocks traffic. I have had to park my mustang elsewhere to keep it from being damaged.

This morning there were 2 cops in the parking lot watching him. One of them told me that he got it chasing a little kid on his body cam the other day so I'm hoping they will finally remove it.

I sure wish I could hunt him. He would have been gone months ago.

Attachments

• 20190313_085804.jpg
      20190313_085804.jpg
      128.5 KB · Views: 200

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    pellet gun, alibi, escape route, and a good disguise...

I wish I could but there is no possible way to do that here. My only hope is that he gets run over or removed. I've been talking to DNR and they said they had decided to relocate him but the first time they came they decided to not capture him that day because a bunch of people were filming and they dont want bad PR

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Be very careful turkey hunting on public land. Remember that you are not wearing orange. Make sure that you are not wearing turkey colored socks, underwear, watches, or anything that might peak out under camo. You are literally going to be hiding and making turkey noises.

Meyer's Station's NWTF branch in Crofton does a turkey hunting clinic that is amazing. Amazing. There are also lots of nice books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom