• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Here's my range "bag"...it does four pistols and space for magazines and ammunition. I do not transport loaded magazines. While it may not be illegal to transport loaded magazines I don't care to have a problem with an officer who might be having a bad day...maybe his wife cut him off the night before or any other reason. Some years back in Frederick a man was arrested after a legitimate traffic stop when the officer saw one loose round of ammunition visible in his console. The man was on his way home from a shooting range and his firearms were in his trunk...just the loose round visible. The judge threw it out and was angry it even happened. It just shows you can be in the right and still get shafted.

Guncase-closed.jpg

Gun-case-open.jpg
    That's nice. Who makes. That case?

Yes I agree. My lawyer had said he believed the officer was trying to get his collars up! He also called me a dumb ass. Lol. He said in MD I did not need to show proof of insurance and since the U-Haul was from out of state as well I did not have to show proof of ownership either. All I needed was my DL. I did not need to tell him my firearm was even in the truck. Also I should of been more proactive and looked up all the laws and paid more attention. But lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK so when I am loading up at home for the range. I can get one of them nifty bags and throw all my stuff in there. Gun (unloaded of course) mags, ammo, safety glasses, ammo and ear plugs and put it in the car and drive to the range and be good to go.

Yeap

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I believe federal law states, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearms if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible. (It doesn't seem to address ammo)

You are talking about FOPA.

And it only applies if you are transporting across state lines. It does NOT apply within a state (home to range in MD for instance).

Ammunition and firearms much be in separate containers, in the trunk.

If there is no separate trunk (SUV, hatchback, etc), then either the ammunition container OR the firearms container needs to be locked.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lol. I know it was against the law in 2006! Lol. Even if the gun was unloaded and in a case and the mags were loaded but in the same case.... You were screwed. Lol. Don't ask me how I know. It involves a U-Haul and moving to this fine state once upon a time! Leaving a state where it was not illegal and I had a current ccw.

This was commonly taught for many years, but it was not based on the wording of the law, or any legal interpretation, or any case law.

It was just the best advice, based on the law.

The letter from the AG changed that, as it gave an official interpretation the loaded mags were not a loaded firearm.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It’s perfectly legal, as long as they are not in the firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I thought that because ranges don't allow you to have a loaded mag when you come in. Most likely because they want to make sure they are not steel core.

Still, I'd rather not deal with it with a cop if I get pulled over.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Seahorse

It's made by Seahorse...a ripoff or clone of Pelican cases I guess. I bought it from a vendor who frequents the Gettysburg and Chantilly gun shows. They have a pretty good line of products.

Yup. They also have a five or six pistol one as well.

Found out about them a few years ago when their price point was berween Pelican and Plano

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I guess I thought that because ranges don't allow you to have a loaded mag when you come in. Most likely because they want to make sure they are not steel core.

Still, I'd rather not deal with it with a cop if I get pulled over.

Why would you have to deal with it?
    Never consent to a search. “I don’t have anything illegal officer.”
    I know that it doesn’t work for everyone, but I don’t go to ranges that don’t allow loaded mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you are paying based on time spent at the range, you should be permitted to load magazines before going. Ranges that do not allow them are doing a disservice to many customers.

Even when I go to Hap Baker and pay the daily fee, I load my mags before going. Any reloading is done during the cease fires and I consider this to be considerate of the others waiting in line for a lane. By maximizing the use of my time, I save a little for others occasionally.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    You guys are missing the bigger issue. That being that it's gotten to the point in MD that you practically have to be a lawyer to know if your breaking MD gun laws. And probably most lawyers don't know unless they specialize in that area.

Shall not be infringed *unless it makes people feel safer??

I'm of the opinion that as long as someone doesn't have a verified mental incapacity (mentally insane/danger to themselves or others, or senile) or felon for violent crime that there should not be any laws /infringement.

I do however understand that that is not the current world we live in. It just disappoints me that we have moved so far from the constitution.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    If you are paying based on time spent at the range, you should be permitted to load magazines before going. Ranges that do not allow them are doing a disservice to many customers.

Even when I go to Hap Baker and pay the daily fee, I load my mags before going. Any reloading is done during the cease fires and I consider this to be considerate of the others waiting in line for a lane. By maximizing the use of my time, I save a little for others occasionally.

Hap allows you to load magazines while on the line during a cold range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom