• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Last time I was at crap Baker, I was told my ak was a weapon of mass destruction and my Henry .44 Golden boy was dangerous as the brass receiver was too dangerous as they had several explode...I packed up my stuff and never went back.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My experience at HB has been great. RSOs have always been cordial and accommodating. Signs are clearly posted about the slower rate of fire. I've shot 30 round AR mags without a problem. They've even helped me set up a spotting scope. I've even had compliments from staff about my M1.

Great place

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I've never had an issue there. Probably because I follow the rules.

I never knew you could stand and shoot on the rifle range there. But it doesn't matter much because I only really go to zero.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Last time I was at crap Baker, I was told my ak was a weapon of mass destruction and my Henry .44 Golden boy was dangerous as the brass receiver was too dangerous as they had several explode...I packed up my stuff and never went back.
    Is this a serious post? A "weapon of mass destruction"?

:sad20:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Several explode? That's laughable and also nonsense.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The only rule I find objectionable is no packing up on a cold range. I am down for not touching firearms, but I’ve had it where I had my guns packed because I knew the range was going to go cold, but hadn’t cleared my bench of things like a couple of boxes of ammo, spotting scope and I had a couple of things on the table behind me to finish packing up. To be clear, all guns were cased.

Nope, I had to wait the 10-15 minutes for everyone to change all their targets and such before finishing packing up. Which is annoying as hell. I am on board with not touching guns or playing with stuff on the bench. Maybe I am naive, but I see no harm in loading mags at the tables on a cold range or especially finishing packing up so long as the guns are already cased.

It also means the person waiting for my bench might not get to setup targets. I’ve seen it where the RSO calls the next number to go setup targets while I wait for it to go hot to finish packing up and I’ve seen it where the RSO won’t tell the next person until I am gone.

Their house, their rules and I get they have a lot of people to watch to make sure the range stays safe when cold, but I’ve been told I can finish packing even when there is more than one RSO in the rifle range at the time...

(I’ve always asked if I could finish packing, and been told no. Maybe 3 times now?). Cresap you have to step away from everything, but I’ve had them let me take a minute when the call for going cold came, to quick pack and leave when they’ve been really busy just to clear the lane.

IWLA it is all mutually agreed and if I know I am leaving and someone asks to go cold, unless it is an emergency, I say I am okay going cold, but I am packing up to go, so can you wait a minute. Never had an issue with that.

I understand, vastly different settings. But just one of those reasons I’d never use a public range again unless I had to. Less idiots. More everyone just getting along. Easier to be enjoyable and also safe.

That said, as a private range I wouldn’t want them to just allow any idiot in with no screening, training or experience at all.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Now you know why places like the Monocacy Pistol Club always have a waiting list for membership. Admittedly they don't allow FA or bumpfire but there is no limit on how fast you can pull the trigger. And they recently approved PCC use at the club.

Onwrd Farm

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    Was just at Haps last Thursday on both the pistol and rifle range. I found both the RSO's to be very professional, friendly, and extremely helpful. They both were very watchful when I first got there, told them it was my first visit. About halfway into the first hot round I noticed they were back to business as usual. Rifle range was very busy so they had plenty more folks to watch.
    I had zero problems with any of the rules. Hell for in county, veteran $30 for a year membership I was more then pleased. Seems that I will be doing more pistol shooting cause that range never got crowded.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    [YT]4JGdSqCi7ds[/YT]

What tha? So, the "RSO" is probably correct that the guy needs a target, but he's making too much noise at what certainly appears to be a genuine gun range that's "in a neighborhood," and will set off the dogs that are apparently housed somewhere downrange (:eek:), thereby pissing off the neighbors? :wtf:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

By whom were you told these fantastic tales? An RSO? Or another shooter?

Because I've met more than my fair share of know-it-alls at shooting ranges. But the Hap Baker RSO's have always struck me as very friendly, but firm, not world-class experts, but not dummies either.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Man that video! The problem is the shooting sports have many disciplines. There are all kinds of shooters and unfounately some people will never understand why anyone would show up at the range blast through a few magazines and be on their way. It's an endorphine rush! No target necessary just as long as your bullets are impacting the berm, although they may find it's even more fun when you can shoot fast and accurate.

I couldn't shoot at a range like that. I've been an AGC member for the last 7 years and we've taken some big steps. If you enjoy action shooting I highly recommend the AGC. You can shoot as fast as you can hit the berm, from the holster if qualified, full auto (under a Thompson club event), and everything up to and including 50bmg.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    By whom were you told these fantastic tales? An RSO? Or another shooter?

Because I've met more than my fair share of know-it-alls at shooting ranges. But the Hap Baker RSO's have always struck me as very friendly, but firm, not world-class experts, but not dummies either.

It was about 10 years ago. It was an older RSO. I'm pretty sure he's long gone by now.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I shoot almost exclusively at the Hap. I’ve never personally had a bad experience with the RSO’s there. A few years back there was ZERO standing shooting allowed. With the exception of the middle two lanes which allowed prone 100 & 200 yd shooting only, all shooting had to be bench-seated muzzle inside plywood box only. They’ve only allowed standing shooting in recent years (tho not sure when they added it).

I also don’t like the slow fire rate, FOR MYSELF, but I’ve seen enough knuckleheads there that I suppose I’m glad they limit it. As it is there’s bullet holes in the approx 12 ft overhead timbers / sound baffles. That’s not poor shooting or ricochets, that’s blatant ass-baggery. I’d like to get into competition shooting but there’s absolutely no way to train for it there with the slow-fire rule unfortunately. But as others have pointed out I can always go somewhere else. The Hap is just so damn convenient for me.

The only true complaint I have is they’re closed Mondays and Tuesdays. It gets too crowded there sometimes, I suspect being closed Mon-Tues has much to do with that.

If you talk to the RSOs, they will tell you the damage to the boards "backers" whatever the term is, is done by the police on Monday and Tuesday when there closed to the public.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I did not hear you accused of full-auto fire. The RSO who spoke to you made reasonable requests. What is the deal with making random video of yourself on the firing line anyway?

A visit to the YouTube site allows us to see the full title of the video-- apparently the shooter was accused of conducting "full automatic fire" in violation of his then gun club's rules by the club's executive committee... which of course is clearly a false accusation as shown in the video. While the shooter freely admits in his YouTube posting comment that he did violate a couple of the other club rules. As for making the video--that didn't appear in the list of rules he was accused of breaking so...pretty much meh.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I live about 10 minutes from Hap and have going there fairly frequently for at least 20 years. I would just like to clarify a few points here since there are quite a few posts that are all over the place accuracy wise.

1. I've always been allowed to fire while standing. The center lanes were most commonly used for prone shooting because they used to be the only 200 yard lanes and most of the prone shooters were competition shooters.

2. In the time I've been going there we've had three waves of RSO's, each less firearms savvy than the last. I'm not quite sure what happened recently but I think everyone there now is "new"

3. Every RSO there that I've been around will watch you closely until they recognize that you know how to conduct yourself.

4. The first and second generation of RSO's hated AR's.AK's and anything that looked like an EBR. I calmed a lot of that down over a decade ago by educating many of them and letting them shoot my stuff. I even talked old Jim (RIP brother) into buying a custom Les Bear way back when. Yes. some of them over the years liked to bitch about 30 rounds mags, but none ever stopped me. Besides 20 rounders are easier to handle on the bench anyway.

5. I was there a few weeks ago with some AR builds and the RSO asked me if I'd help him since he was considering building one himself. So I'd say you are safe to shoot your EBR's now without issue. Honestly 50% of the guns being shot there this decade are some form of EBR anyway.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Part of me has always wanted to buy a bump stock, buy an echo trigger, go to hap baker, and unload a 100 round round drum of tracers as fast as I can. I wouldn't actually do it, but just thinking of the reactions makes me laugh.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Quite frankly, I am a little suspicious of the RSO asking about building an AR. I had a similar experience on my first trip there, but it seemed more like the RSO was trying to get information on finding someone to do the work for him. I offered to help and oversee the process while he did the work and explained that it was unlawful for me to build lowers for anyone but myself. This is where he seemed to lose interest and has never followed up or asked me again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom